Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » When Christians say 'Satan rules the world' isn't that a disobedience to the first commandment "thou shalt have no other gods before me"?

When Christians say 'Satan rules the world' isn't that a disobedience to the first commandment "thou shalt have no other gods before me"?

Posted - October 16, 2016

Responses

No.  It is merely pointing out how everyone is disobeying the First Commandment.
      October 16, 2016 9:40 AM MDT

Maybe so by filtering God through the haze of some man made construct like the Vatican,  the Watchtower,  other religious Powers-That-Be,  the Discovery Institute,  etc.
      October 16, 2016 10:04 AM MDT

No. Let me explain:
    Have you seen how degenerate we are as a species? Take a look at the news. Those bad behaviors are product of Satan's work and influence in the world.
    You gotta understand that the fact that he rules this planet doesn't mean that he's more powerful than God. The enemy can only do here what God allows him to.
    And the reason why satan hasn't destroyed us is because God says otherwise.
    You gotta understand the difference between a ruler and a God.
    God is always in control.
    That commandment would be disobeyed if you adore satan or any of his fake deities instead of worshipping God.
      October 16, 2016 5:05 PM MDT

sounds like it
      October 16, 2016 6:40 PM MDT

No it is just saying that satan has control over governments or kingdoms of the world.
      October 17, 2016 8:07 AM MDT

That seems like one is saying 'Satan power' overrules 'God power '  Wouldn't that be offenaive to God?
      October 17, 2016 10:01 AM MDT

2 Corinthians 4:4, the unbeliever follows Satan's agenda: "The god of this world has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ." 

Nope just quoting the Bible.
      October 17, 2016 10:15 AM MDT

That is not the whole truth.  Anyone can learn and comprehend gospel material and still live in disobedience. 
      October 17, 2016 10:37 AM MDT

Yes anyone can read the Bible but that does not mean they BELIEVE it that is what the verse is saying many in this world dont believe and therefore don't obey the Bible. 
      October 17, 2016 10:49 AM MDT

Quite likely the bible story writers wrote in their own perceptions of what they determined is sin. Read/study the bible but  one could do well to simply "do as you will but harm no-one" 
    I have met some Christians with weird ideas what might be right or wrong based on what they've read in their scriptures as well as some of the things they may have been told by their pastors. 
      October 17, 2016 4:33 PM MDT

The Bible doesn't say do as you will but harm no one. It says do unto others as you would want them to do to you. 
      October 17, 2016 4:40 PM MDT

Fine but the Bible is not necessarily my bible.
      October 17, 2016 5:03 PM MDT

Your question is about  why Christians say something. The answer is they are quoting the Christian Bible. 
    I know you don't believe in the Bible but that does not take away from the reason Christians say it. . 
      October 17, 2016 7:32 PM MDT

No, that's not what that means at all. It means that the majority of people deny God (the only unpardonable sin) and will follow the evil ways of Satin. It does NOT say that Christians have turned their backs on God and Christ. This post was edited by Salt and Red Pepper at October 18, 2016 4:31 AM MDT
      October 17, 2016 10:50 AM MDT

Belief in supernatural elements can only be a matter of faith like saying there MUST be a God (or Satan) BECAUSE...

I don't know how I could be convinced that a God exists. 

October 17, 2016 5:00 PM MDT

? ? ?

My response was in regard to your questioning a Christian belief, not your own personal piousness. I don't know why you might thing otherwise unless you really are insecure in your own beliefs and values system and need to put others down to build yourself up in some way. This post was edited by Salt and Red Pepper at October 17, 2016 6:23 PM MDT
      October 17, 2016 6:20 PM MDT

You say 'the majority of people deny God and follow Satan'.

I expressed my doubts that supernatural elements(Gods/gods) exist.
      October 17, 2016 6:43 PM MDT

Are you always this thick-headed?

As I said before the answer, just like the question, has NOTHING to do with your beliefs, only the beliefs of Christians.
      October 17, 2016 6:59 PM MDT

Seems like you and Antibiotic must be the same person.
      October 17, 2016 11:03 PM MDT

My answer is secular and philosophic, not religious.

You really are thick-headed. Are you even old enough to be a member of this site?
      October 17, 2016 11:26 PM MDT

Actually I am probably more than twice your age.
      October 17, 2016 11:37 PM MDT

• It's just a way for Christians to explain why the world isn't perfect; a way to scapegoat it off on the influence of an unseen powerful yet subordinate quasi-deity. I see it more as a metaphor for the inherent potential darkness of the human heart. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 17, 2016 3:12 PM MDT
      October 17, 2016 11:10 AM MDT

No, saying that Satan rules the world is not the equivalent of worshiping Satan.
      October 17, 2016 8:05 PM MDT

No it doesn't mean that at all. When the Bible says that Satan is the "god of this world," it is not saying that he has ultimate authority. It is conveying the idea that Satan rules over the unbelieving world in a specific way. In 2 Corinthians 4:4, the unbeliever follows Satan's agenda: "The god of this world has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ." Satan's scheme includes promoting false philosophies in the world—philosophies that blind the unbeliever to the truth of the Gospel. Satan’s philosophies are the fortresses in which people are imprisoned, and they must be set free by Christ. Just because the Bible call's Satan the "god" (little g) doesn't mean that satan is placed before Creator God (Other gods before Me).
      October 24, 2016 11:34 AM MDT