Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » For you carpenters out there do you use SCREWS or NAILS? Why? What is the advantage of each? Disadvantage?

For you carpenters out there do you use SCREWS or NAILS? Why? What is the advantage of each? Disadvantage?

Posted - October 24, 2016

Responses

Okay, we get it. 
      October 24, 2016 11:49 AM MDT

Well I'm a Canadian carpenter so I use Duck Tape. The advantage of Duck tape is it makes any job quick and easy - I could build a 18 foot fishing boat in half an hour with Duck tape and milk crates. I also use a lot of Hot glue to fasten things together (it's not the Canadian way) but it still makes a job quick and easy. The disadvantages to Hot glue and duck tape is expense - it would probably take $2;000 worth of Duck Tape to build that fishing boat, Same with hot glue the coast of the glue stick and the coast of the electricity you use heating the stick up is way more then the coast of a nail or screw. Cheers!
      October 24, 2016 11:57 AM MDT

Go to garage sales. 
      October 24, 2016 11:59 AM MDT

That totally boggles my mind Nanoose. Duck Tape? Is it long-lasting or temporary? I mean I don't know how comfy I'd feel in a  boat held  together with duck tape. Thank you your nifty though really surprising answer and Happy Tuesday! :)
      October 25, 2016 10:17 AM MDT

I live in a 'tornadoish' part of the nation, therefore I used big-azz screws to build my house. The neighbors liked it because it eliminates all that annoying hammering. Of course, no fastener type will stop an F5 rated twister. 
      October 24, 2016 12:45 PM MDT

Geez bh I don't even almost understand your answer. Not  your fault. I didn't read anything about big-azz screws. Apologies.  Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday! :)
      October 25, 2016 10:14 AM MDT

Biscuits and glue for the small stuff, mortise and tenon joints where it really counts.
      October 24, 2016 1:11 PM MDT

In general, screws have greater holding power than nails. Nails depend upon surface friction to transfer loads, while screw threads are loaded in compression.

However, screws are more expensive to manufacture than nails and take longer to install. If the project is a picture frame, maybe the cost advantage in minimal. When framing 500 homes, the pennies saved for each nail over each screw start to really add up.
      October 24, 2016 1:16 PM MDT

Mahalo for your informative reply OS and Happy Tuesday! :)
      October 25, 2016 10:12 AM MDT