Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Ever get a captcha that made no sense? What do you make of this one?

Ever get a captcha that made no sense? What do you make of this one?

The symbol that looks like a "B" is written as two of the letter "s" in English. I only know this because I took some German in school. So, is Google expecting me to write it as a "B" because it knows I speak English, or should I be writing it as "Strassen," which is German for "Street." Or was I supposed to translate it? D: I tried using the sound button, but it didn't make the sound. :/

Posted - October 27, 2016

Responses

Back when I first started seeing this type of system, I would get a lot of them I couldn't read.  They appear to now be more clear and your's doesn't appear to be doable without an alt+xxx knowledge base.  
      October 27, 2016 12:55 PM MDT

Yes- I hated those black and white ones. We had one of those on the old site and anyone over 50 or so couldn't join because they couldn't read it. It may sound like I'm being mean, but really... it was a real problem for certain folks. I had to shut it off. With this one, which I saw elsewhere, the answer was not "Strassen," so I can only guess they meant for me to enter it as a "B." It doesn't give you a second chance, so I may never know for sure... 
      October 27, 2016 1:05 PM MDT

?  I am over 50 and I don't remember anything captcha I had to read to get on the site.  Those things are horrible.  Usually they have options.  If you cannot do ONE they offer up several.  I wonder why they only let you do one?  
      October 27, 2016 1:34 PM MDT

If you click on the refresh symbol to the right of the text box, it should give you a new one to try. I do that a lot when the letters are not clear.
      October 27, 2016 3:00 PM MDT

Jane exactly.  That is what I was saying.

You get choices.  But if JA is doing it, I KNOW she knows that.   This must be some special entrance puzzle that just only gives you one choice for some reason.
      October 27, 2016 3:18 PM MDT

I hate captchas.  I guess you have to find Straßen somewhere online and copy and paste it.

October 27, 2016 1:39 PM MDT

That's cheating.  lol
      October 27, 2016 1:58 PM MDT

You got to use 'ß'... ;-)
      October 27, 2016 2:17 PM MDT

• Yep ... constantly
      October 27, 2016 5:32 PM MDT

Assuming no "Insert Symbol" available I'd try using "B" and it that failed, try the next "word" Captcha offers!

I think they were devised to prove your bona-fide, to try to protect you and the site from spammers. 

November 4, 2016 3:36 PM MDT