Discussion » Questions » Language » What is the origin of the word "Yiddish"? Was there ever an ancient Jewish country called Yidland?
Bez

What is the origin of the word "Yiddish"? Was there ever an ancient Jewish country called Yidland?

Posted - October 30, 2016

Responses

• It has some semblance of Yidd, but is not actually Yidd.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 30, 2016 4:29 PM MDT
      October 30, 2016 2:30 PM MDT

Right, sort of Yiddy but not quite. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/21/books/review/the-yid-by-paul-goldberg.html?_r=0 This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 30, 2016 2:38 PM MDT
      October 30, 2016 2:37 PM MDT

I've wondered about this since I was a young lad, but for some reason I never thought to ask about it when I was in school. I made up "Yidland" myself but it wouldn't be the first time I've made something up only to find out later that it existed all along. Lol:)
      October 30, 2016 2:38 PM MDT

No.  Yid just means Jew.  Yiddish is a blended language of German and ancient Hebrew.

Yiddish (aka. Judeo-German) is a secular language of recent times
    primarily based on a combination of German and Hebrew with words from
    Polish, French, English and many other languages. The word Yiddish
    literally means "Jewish" as it was created as a secular-language of the
    Jewish people living in pre-Nazi Europe.

https://www.wikivs.com/wiki/Hebrew_vs_Yiddish

Jews around the globe created languages easier to use than ancient Hebrew; Yiddish is just one of them and was used in a particular geographical area of Europe.

The language almost died; it was really only used by 250,000 New Yorkers.  It is now being resurrected with classes being taught at Oxford and Columbia.   

This post was edited by Thriftymaid at October 30, 2016 4:28 PM MDT
      October 30, 2016 2:47 PM MDT

It is nice to see an almost extinct language being resurrected, Thriftymaid. I think that is a really good thing. Thanks for your answer. :)
      October 30, 2016 6:06 PM MDT

• first  coined by  German dishwashers .  ......  " gimme yidish "
    ;-)
      October 30, 2016 3:42 PM MDT

Lol nice one! :)
      October 30, 2016 6:02 PM MDT

Thrifty Maid already answered, Yiddish is derived from the Hebrew word Yehudi meaning Jew.

Jehudi is from Jehudah or Judah, one of the 12 tribes of ancient Israel, the Kingdom of ancient Israel was eventually divided into Israel in the north, and Judah in the south, so 'Yidland' is in fact Judah, southern Israel.
      October 30, 2016 4:30 PM MDT

I'm beginning to understand a bit more now, Madeleine. You see, it doesn't automatically occur to me that the letters Y and J are interchangeable, simply because they are not interchangeable in English. Things like that have to be brought to my attention, which your answer has done. Thanks for the clarification, Madeleine. :)
      October 30, 2016 6:04 PM MDT