Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Babies and Kids » When you were a youngster, did you ever try to find out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?

When you were a youngster, did you ever try to find out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?

[~]

Posted - October 31, 2021

Responses

Never did, then or at any other time in my life. After a while, I just chewed it.
      October 31, 2021 9:22 PM MDT

I was a Blow Pop kind of kid.
      October 31, 2021 9:22 PM MDT

Suck...blow. What's the dif?
      November 1, 2021 11:24 AM MDT

You have a very good point there. I never really counted how long it took to get to the center of a Blow Pop, but it took a long time.
      November 1, 2021 11:28 AM MDT

I just sucked on them, but I never got to the fudge center without chewing them. Rumor has it that Chuck Norris could do it with one lick.
      November 1, 2021 10:19 AM MDT

Well, that sucks.
      November 1, 2021 11:09 AM MDT

November 1, 2021 10:23 AM MDT

You didn't answer the question.
      November 1, 2021 10:24 AM MDT

I don't remember but it takes 350. 
      November 1, 2021 2:23 PM MDT

How did you arrive at that figure, please?
    ~

November 2, 2021 8:04 AM MDT

I heard it somewhere years ago. 
      November 2, 2021 8:28 AM MDT

Thank you.
       ~

November 2, 2021 8:30 AM MDT

Yes.  Of course, I either lost count or just bit it.  

We always took 2 Tootsie pops and a roll of Neccos in a brown paper bag of popcorn when we went to the show (movies).  Sucking the pop to the tootsie center made it last longer, but who counts licks when watching a movie?
      November 1, 2021 12:57 PM MDT

Heck, for that matter, who counts the licks at any time? Lol. 

That’s the entire point of the ad campaign decades ago. The marketing execs at the candy company knew that since the vast majority of people who ate their product were children, hardly any child would have the patience to go through the whole thing just licking it and would soon bite down, but that the challenge would make the child think he or she could try again on another one, thereby resulting in increased sales.
    ~

November 2, 2021 8:12 AM MDT

Decades is right!  I believe that particular ad first came out around 1969 or 1970.   That's a little over half a century ago.  (my, how time does fly)   Since we're still talking about it and still seeing it today, I think it was a rather successful ad campaign.
      November 2, 2021 11:37 AM MDT

You’re right. Numerous ad campaigns have the effect of sticking in our minds and memories long after their original run, which is exactly what the advertising industry seeks, lol. 

~

November 2, 2021 11:47 AM MDT

They got me.  Although I didn’t/don’t buy their products, I still remember their commercials… even from companies that no longer exist!

Dawn is approaching as a small car with a pinging engine rolls up to a large, 2-story suburban-type house.  As the car engine goes quiet, all that can be heard is the sound of chirping crickets.  A short, slightly balding, middle-aged man gets out of the car.  He opens the trunk of the car and as quietly as possible, pulls out a bowling ball bag and closes the lid.  He then carefully tiptoes from the car to the house; his footsteps sound like he’s walking in gravel.  He slowly tiptoes up 4 steps to the porch of the house.  Just as he touches the handle to the screen door, the lights inside of the house come on and a loud, nagging female voice says:
    “Knock Knock – Leonard!
    It’s 5 am – Leonard!
    I heard you coming - ping, ping, ping, all the way up the road!”  (As she’s saying this, a bowling ball drops out of the bag, and bounces off the porch and down the steps).
    “If you think for one minute that...”

The woman’s voice continues to nag in background, but it is now faint and unintelligible as the announcer’s voice says -
    “Next time, get Gulf No-nox perineum gasoline.
    No-nox is a special gasoline that has an additive that stops cars from knocking.
    (The large Gulf logo fills the screen)  Imagine what No-nox can do for a car that doesn’t knock.
    Try a little…(clank, clank)… and see.”

The man is now sitting on the top porch step with his head in his hands as the nagging female voice once again becomes loud and clear:
    “You and your bowling systems - Leonard!”

November 2, 2021 3:16 PM MDT

Once, I tried to get the neighbor's dog to do the hard work ... but it licked so fast I couldn't keep count.
      November 1, 2021 2:11 PM MDT