Active Now

Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Politics » I felt hope when Obama took office. I feel more hope tonight. Agree?

I felt hope when Obama took office. I feel more hope tonight. Agree?

Posted - November 8, 2016

Responses

Only insofar as I "hope" this is a lesson to Democratic party.

It cannot continue to be GOP-lite and sell its soul to Wall Street...and expect voters are not going to see through the charade. HRC had essentially NO anti-establishment bonafides in an election where many people wanted a change from "business as usual."

Throughtout the election season, it seemed that a "generic" Democrat would have wiped the floor with Trump and a "generic" Republican would have trounced HRC. The negative ratings of the two candidates essentially cancelled each other, and we got a squeaker of an election.
      November 8, 2016 10:15 PM MST

I agree. It is time for the democrat party to clean up and be respectable. Maybe trump will make democrats great again.
      November 9, 2016 6:42 AM MST

@ITPro -- As a Trump advocate (or, at least, an anti-HRC advocate), what are you actually "hopeful" about. What SPECIFIC positive changes do you think President Trump will make?
      November 9, 2016 9:34 AM MST

The first thing is that I think he will stop this thing where walking across the border illegally is fine because that is not fine and that is an insult to people who go through the legal immigration.
    I also hold onto some hope that trump will not be a slave to banks. I do not think citibank will pick trump's entire cabinet like with Obama.
    Further to that is my greatest hope which is that trump does not balk at ending this bipartisan political elite corrupt buddy system that sees so much influence traded for donations. It should not be possible that people are elected to office and earn under 200,000 dollars yet quickly become multimillionaires.
    Finally I hope trump will have a foreign policy that democrats should have always had which is to not try to police the word and to see that when we interfere and start wars it makes things worse. This post was edited by ITpro at November 9, 2016 11:38 AM MST
      November 9, 2016 11:37 AM MST

@ITPro -- I thank you for attempting to answer my question. However, I submit you did not do so.

You don't specify exactly what you think President Trump ***will*** do. Instead, you answered with vague generalities about what you ***hope*** he will do.

Saying, "I hope he does something about illegal immigration" is very different from saying, "I believe he will institute policy X to curb illegal immigration."

In total, your response seems to indicate you are a "typical" Trump voter (at least the ones not driven by racism/sexism/xenophobia). It seems you were so desperate for a change from the status quo (a sentiment I largely share), you were willing to take a chance on Trump, regardless of his lack of concrete policy experience, or the impracticality of his ideas (e.g. the proverbial "Trump Wall" would do NOTHING to stop the majority of illegal immigrants, who immigrate legally then overstay their visas). Now, you are ***hoping*** that he'll be able to follow through on his rhetoric.

Speaking as someone who voted for "hope and change" in 2008, all I can say is, "Good luck with that." This post was edited by OldSchoolTheSKOSlives at November 9, 2016 2:05 PM MST
      November 9, 2016 2:02 PM MST

I also voted for hope and change in 2008 and saw none and more recently found out Obama was basically a servant to banks.  Hillary is the same but probably worse.  With trump it is not the same mistake again, maybe it is a new mistake but I prefer that.

Exactly what he will do is unknown. I have been alive long enough to know that promises are made going in that are forgotten or changed into new interpretations. The wall paid for by mexico is a specific promise that may never happen but the meaning behind the promise is a posture that is tougher on illegal immigration. Yes a posture or position is not specific but what is specific is rarely what is realized. If he is tougher on illegal immigration I will be satisfied with this whether or not mexico pays for a wall. The same for my other hopes. With nothing else in play I know he is not going to be accepting donations from ISIS supporting nations to his charity or taking millions of dollars in speaking fees from banks. That alone is significant.
      November 9, 2016 6:48 PM MST

@ITPro -- Thank you for your clarification above. I still disagree with you, and I think you demanded a much greater standard of "purity" for HRC than Trump (e.g. I don't see the Clinton Foundation accepting money from Saudi Arabia as inherently a greater problem than Trump running a "charitable foundation" that wasn't an actual charity). But I understand why you thought, "OK, I'll take a chance on Trump." Again, I strongly disagree, but I understand.
      November 9, 2016 7:02 PM MST

I feel hope tonight. But no I did not have hope when Pres Obama was elected.
      November 8, 2016 10:26 PM MST

Well, maybe you'll be luckier than many Obama voters were. It took until about 1 month after his inauguration to see  "Hope and Change" meant a whole lot of "business as usual."

It will be interesting to see if President Trump gets the same "discussion" with the Powers That Be that Obama apparently had.
      November 8, 2016 10:31 PM MST

• I'm sure there will be many familiar "advisors" hanging around.
      November 8, 2016 10:36 PM MST

Hopefully he doesn't cave.  If he does he will not be reelected. 
      November 8, 2016 10:38 PM MST

@m2c -- I am curious. Why does Trump's election make you "hopeful?" What SPECIFIC policy initiatives do you think Trump will enact which will bring about positive change?
      November 9, 2016 9:35 AM MST

I have stated these over and over before the election but here goes:

Supreme Court picks (he gave a list before the election)
    Fixing our trade deals
    Lower taxes for all
    Securing our border
    etc......
      November 9, 2016 10:19 AM MST

@m2C -- Apparently, your definition of the word "specific" is very different from mine. The list in your answer above fits my definition of "vauge generalities" more than "specific policy initiatives."

SCOTUS pick -- OK, and what EXACTLY do you expect from that SCOUTS pick? A reversal of Roe v Wade? A reversal of Citizen United v. FEC? The dismantling of the modern welfare state? Inquiring minds want to know.

"Fixing" our trade deals -- What does this mean? An imposition of tariffs to equalize wage costs/regulatory compliance costs between the US? Withdrawal from the WTO? Abrogation of NAFTA?

Lower taxes for all -- What taxes? Excise taxes? FICA taxes? The income taxes nearly 50% of Americans do not pay because they are TOO F***ING POOR to pay them? And will those tax cuts be paid for with massive spending cuts or massive expansion of the budget deficit?

Securing our border -- How do you expect this will be accomplished? Building the proverbial "Trump's wall"? A wall which Mexico absolutely will NOT pay for and which will do nothing the address the majority of illegal immigration (people who emigrate to the United States legally and simply refuse to leave when their visas expire). Please explain how this will work.

Etc. --- Etc. is most definitely NOT specific.

I appreciate you at least attempting to answer my question. One of your fellow Usual Suspects simply responded with gloating about how TEH STOOPID EBIL LIBRUHLZ DIDN'T SEE THIS COMING and "time will tell." But I submit your answers are long on wishful thinking and short on detail. This post was edited by OldSchoolTheSKOSlives at November 9, 2016 11:03 AM MST
      November 9, 2016 11:01 AM MST

I don't feel like explaining everything to you.  Google is a good tool.  Use it.  Trump has policies.  I have explained the SCOTUS nomination list. On other questions I have explained to you how Trump is raising the standard deduction for all and lowering tax rates.  He has explained the border plan and how he is going to get Mex to pay it, again google it.  I don't feel like it.  This has been hashed and rehashed and he won.  So now we will wait and see if he will follow through.
      November 9, 2016 11:20 AM MST

• Nah. Under Hillary I figured I would be employed for a year or two. Under Trump I figure I have a few months. His fellow Strong Level Headed Bussinessmen are tanking the markets. Oh well, guess I have to face the music. Maybe it is better than sooner? I just hope I get some unemployment checks for a while.
      November 8, 2016 10:27 PM MST

• While a cure is needed, I wonder if it's going to be worse than the disease ...
      November 8, 2016 10:37 PM MST