Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Well, affirmative action for college admissions is gone. For or against?

Well, affirmative action for college admissions is gone. For or against?

Posted - June 29, 2023

Responses

Very good decision.  Thank you Justice Thomas; the Constitution lives. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at June 29, 2023 7:10 PM MDT
      June 29, 2023 11:58 AM MDT

Justice Thomas is a hypocrite - he benefitted from affirmative action, but now he wants to hold others down.  
      June 30, 2023 9:00 AM MDT

Why would you assume a black man could not achieve getting into college and raising to the level of SCOTUS Justice on his own merits. 
      June 30, 2023 12:00 PM MDT

If that was the case, Thomas wouldn't have needed affirmative action, would he?
      June 30, 2023 12:12 PM MDT

It is a different time.  And race should not have a bearing on things that are should be merit based. 

Asian students should not be penalized because they are Asian and other should not be benefit from their race. 
      June 30, 2023 6:20 PM MDT

I recommend reading the opinion.
      June 30, 2023 2:21 PM MDT

Bless your heart.
      June 30, 2023 3:36 PM MDT

In favour of affirmative action for university admissions.

Intelligence is not limited to race, sex or class. It crops up in every social group. And yet, statistically, the higher the intelligence, the rarer it is. No nation can afford to squander its most talented assets.

However, having worked in the sector, I've seen that there is a higher dropout rate for those who get admitted without first passing the basics qualifications - much more common for those who are the first in their family to get tertiary education - which is code for an under or non-privileged social and familial background.

This drop out rate doesn't mean we should abandon affirmative action. Rather, it means there is a need for bridging courses of 6 months to a year to train such students in the skills they need in order to be successful at uni. These skills include: formal vocabulary, grammar using active voice and direct style; critical, analytical, comparative and synthetic (creative or combining) thinking; how to research; how to compose an essay (including students of maths and the sciences); how to interpret a rubric; how to plan and organise their life around the coursework starting from the week before the first classes; and how to handle the (always) antiquated internal university website.

Of course, all this means added expenses for the universities and their benefactors, but the benefit to the nation is the opportunity to get the largest numbers of the most intelligent students. Their opportunities to earn well-paid careers end up as blessings for us all. This post was edited by inky at June 30, 2023 3:05 PM MDT
      June 29, 2023 3:49 PM MDT

Do you have these problems in Australia?
      June 29, 2023 8:07 PM MDT

I don't know where I stand on the issue. So few of the people I know have attended college and I'm not sure whether affirmative action had anything to do with that. In most cases, I'd attribute it to an individual's choices and lack of money.
      June 30, 2023 8:17 AM MDT

I don't think college admission should be based on race alone.  The student should be able to pass all of the required courses and tests that any other student would have to pass to be eligible.  Putting unqualified kids in college guarantees their failure and wastes a seat for someone who is more qualified.
      June 30, 2023 9:04 AM MDT

You have given an argument to discontinue using race in the selection process. 

Read the case if you are interested  in facts.

https://www.scribd.com/document/656152278/Students-for-Fair-Admissions-Inc-v-President-and-Fellows-of-Harvard-College#

June 30, 2023 2:39 PM MDT

Perhaps you didn't see the word "alone" after "I don't think college admission should be based on race ..." Race could be considered a factor in achieving student diversity, if all other criteria are met equally.  
      June 30, 2023 10:18 PM MDT

I was talking about your other argument re setting up kids for failure.  You want to discuss everything except what this case actually says and does.  I suggested you read the case twice now and am finished here. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at July 1, 2023 10:02 AM MDT
      July 1, 2023 9:59 AM MDT

I think everything should be merit based.  
      June 30, 2023 12:01 PM MDT

So, you have five kids with the same GPA, one is white, one is Black, one is Asian, one is Hispanic and one is Native American.  

The composition of your school is 
    White     75%
    Black      7%
    Asian      15%
    Brown     3%
    Native American 0%

Which student do you accept if your school is committed to diversity?

June 30, 2023 10:27 PM MDT

The one who participated in most extra curricular activities.  If that is the same then the one who did all that with a job.  If they all had a job then who submitted their application first.  

Race should not apply.  Schools should not be "committed to diversity," they should be committed to admitting the best students and to giving them the best education possible. 
      July 1, 2023 6:10 AM MDT

Cornell University president Martha Pollack made a statement against the ruling, but she also said that the university will continue to strive for diversity in the admission process.

Given that Cornell has approximately 22,000 students and seven undergraduate colleges plus the graduate school of veterinary medicine, I have no doubt they will.

It may be more of an issue for smaller, less academically diversified institutions.
      June 30, 2023 3:14 PM MDT