Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Sports » Is it my imagination or does it seem as though the more money MLB players earn, the more often they're on the injured list?

Is it my imagination or does it seem as though the more money MLB players earn, the more often they're on the injured list?

One got a paper cut

One pulled a hammy

One strained his shoulder

One stubbed his toe

One had a hot flash

And on and on ...

Posted - August 12, 2023

Responses

It’s not your imagination, but it’s not due to increased player compensation, which has grown along with team revenues as it should.

One factor is that sports medicine has become more advanced in the last decade or two, so injuries that were undetected before are found and treated more effectively today.

Another thing is that teams more aggressively use the IL to protect players and keep their rosters flexible. Minor ailments like those you cite are more often used for practices like load management (see below).

Also, the frequency of batters are being hit by pitches has been historically high over the last few years as pitchers are throwing up and in with greater velocity.

Further, players are training for greater explosiveness to throw and swing hard,  which puts the body under greater stress.

From the article I read, “Swings are bigger, efforts are bigger, and deliveries are more explosive,” a team executive said. “Not a lot of guys play the game easy anymore. You better be monitoring every swing, for example, your guys take because they are taking so many at full force even in batting practice. We have to protect guys from themselves. That is why you see load management and keeping guys out of the lineup to try to prevent the injury that has not yet happened.”
      August 12, 2023 2:12 PM MDT

Thanks.  
      August 12, 2023 3:22 PM MDT

A team of young ladies from Massapequa on Sunday captured the Little League Softball World Series title - the first-ever championship for the State of New York.

Maybe the Yankees and the Mets sholuld contact the coach for this team for tips on how to get to a world series.

Congratulations to this fine team  You go, girls!
      August 14, 2023 9:10 AM MDT