Discussion » Questions » History » If you could live in any period of history, when would it be?

If you could live in any period of history, when would it be?

Posted - March 30

Responses

As possibly strange and demented as it may sound, I think maybe around the 1870's to 1890's in the USA.

I'd be intrigued to  somehow know who actually murdered Andrew and Abby Borden on the morning of August 4, 1892, in Fall river, Massachusetts, USA
    There is evidence that points to Lizzie Borden as the murderess and other strong evidence supporting her innocence. 

That case has pulled me in always since I was a teenager (because, at that time, a beloved actress of mine excellently portrayed Lizzie in a made-for-TV movie, Elizabeth Montgomery). I'm currently reading another new book about the case. I've been to the Bordens' house where the murders happened.

Also, two other huge events happened within five years of that 1892 year, though I'd not like to be part of either of these two events, too --

The huge Hinckley, Minnesota, USA, Fire of 1894
    and the Johnstown, Pennsylvania, USA, Flood of 1889

My innate strong interest in these events makes me sort of wonder if I may have lived another life during those years.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at March 31, 2024 3:00 AM MDT
      March 30, 2024 6:25 AM MDT

Sometimes, I think the years after WWII were the best times for our country.  We were on top of the world, we were at peace, we had a government that worked for the people, we were admired by most every other country and there was prosperity.  Now, we have conspiracy theorists running for office, selfishness, crime, poverty, lack of education for too many people and if not already there, getting to the laughingstock of the world.  Considering the trajectory we're on, I'm fairly happy that I'm on the 17th hole.
      March 30, 2024 8:09 AM MDT

The 50s and 60s. With all of my present knowledge, of course.
      March 30, 2024 1:30 PM MDT

Any time between 1940 and 2005.  I like inside plumbing and electricity too much to go way back.  I can't even imagine being a pioneer covered wagon woman.
      March 30, 2024 1:57 PM MDT

In 2999, perhaps I could get a back replacement by then. 
      April 1, 2024 5:15 PM MDT