Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Why are there so many people registering to vote who do not have an driver's license or gov ID?

Why are there so many people registering to vote who do not have an driver's license or gov ID?

This year: Texas experiencing a staggering 1,250,710 such registrations, Pennsylvania with 580,513, and Arizona recording 220,731.

The HAVV (Help America Vote Verification) allows people to register to vote with only the last 4 digits of their SS#.
https://www.ssa.gov/open/havv/havv-weekly-2024-01-06.html

Posted - April 3

Responses

Maybe they don't drive or own a car.
      April 3, 2024 6:57 AM MDT

Without gov issued ID.
    My son does not drive but he has non drivers license (gov issued ID)....

These people are registering with just last 4 digits  of a SS#. This post was edited by my2cents at April 3, 2024 3:40 PM MDT
      April 3, 2024 7:17 AM MDT

As long as government issued ID's cost money,  this amounts to a poll tax. States would have to bear the cost of ID's which would be exorbitant. 
      April 3, 2024 6:12 PM MDT

Most states that require ID will supply an ID for free. You simply have to fill out the paperwork.  
      April 4, 2024 4:59 AM MDT

Because the states have determined that this is adequate to determine if you are who you say you are. I would explain why, but I really don't want to get into a back and forth with you. I think a better question is why is the right working to suppress the vote.
      April 3, 2024 12:37 PM MDT

Not suppressing.  
    The right wants every American citizen who wants to vote to vote.  Also wants to protect their vote by confirming that everyone who is voting is who the voter they are claiming to be....no American should have their vote canceled by a person who does not have the right to vote. 
      April 3, 2024 3:38 PM MDT

Sorry, but you are wrong. The voter suppression attempts are not limited to expecting people to pay for a government issued ID in order to exercise their right to vote. Limiting early voting and mail in ballots, outlawing ballot drop boxes are some ways that Republicans are making it more difficult for economically challenged persons to vote. Claiming it is to eliminate voter fraud is just their cover. Every single audit, including two paid for by the Trump campaign, found no significant fraud. A few unverified anecdotes are not proof of anything, yet the big lie continues.  This post was edited by Jane S at April 4, 2024 8:56 AM MDT
      April 3, 2024 6:20 PM MDT

There should be voter ID. Most states thar require it will also provide on free for voting purposes.  You have to do the paperwork. Or they accept other forms of ID.  

There should NOT be unattended drop boxes.  Nor ballot harvesting.  You can walk into the building to the clerk and they can check your ID.  Mail in is also bull.  Should only be allowed for people out of the state or with a health issue that prevents them from traveling to the polling station. 
    Ballots should be returned by election day to be counted.  No excuse to be counting weeks past the election. (CA is still counting their primary election ballots from Mar 5) We should known the day of election how many ballots.were cast.  No more of these found ballots.  

Most developed countries do not allow these type of processes that are so easily attacked by fraud. They require ID, in-person paper ballots.  And know the winner same night or next day. 
      April 3, 2024 8:17 PM MDT

I do not and will never agree. 
      April 3, 2024 9:29 PM MDT

No surprise there. :)
      April 4, 2024 4:34 AM MDT

In my opinion, I see these two general possibilities:

For some people, it will be:

If Biden ends up winning: "See? We told you. Another rigged election. This presidency was stolen from Trump with all the rigged and illegal ballots."

For those same people, it will be:

If Trump ends up winning: "See? With all the access to voting, Trump still ends up winning. The majority of true Americans truly respect Trump and voted for him."

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at April 4, 2024 8:57 AM MDT
      April 3, 2024 5:27 PM MDT

I will only call fraud if there is evidence of it. 

The difference is even if Trump wins, if Biden claims fraud, I will call for an investigation.  I want all citizens to confident in the results of our election.
      April 4, 2024 4:22 AM MDT

Yes, I remember your mentioning this in another post at some point.
      April 4, 2024 9:19 AM MDT

Probably because it’s, you know, legal.

Unless laws are being broken or disobeyed, you have no cause for complaint.
      April 3, 2024 11:17 PM MDT

I was wondering about you.  Glad to see you. 

For a Federal election it is only legal if they shoe ID the first time they vote (federal law)....but how does that  get enforced in states that do not require ID?

If they are not citizens then I have a big cause for complaint.  
      April 4, 2024 4:32 AM MDT

If they have SSNs, they are legal residents and likely citizens.

Thanks.
      April 4, 2024 9:07 AM MDT

Yes  but they can get SS numbers during the process of becoming legal (legal residents should not be allowed to vote)...or can get the information of someone who they think they can steal their identity.  

I know this info of some people in my circle. Even a couple who I know do not vote. Under this policy, I could register them and send off for a absentee ballot for them  and vote for them.  (I would not do this and do not live in a state where this would be possible...we require ID) This post was edited by my2cents at April 4, 2024 5:40 PM MDT
      April 4, 2024 5:37 PM MDT

Identity theft is a serious offense that can result in jail time.
      April 4, 2024 7:46 PM MDT

Yes it is.  But it still happens. 
      April 5, 2024 5:21 AM MDT

Because this is why they are here.
      April 4, 2024 8:55 AM MDT

100%
      April 4, 2024 5:38 PM MDT