Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Why do websites falsely accuse different people of being the same person when I know they are not?

Why do websites falsely accuse different people of being the same person when I know they are not?

How do I get the site admins to admit they are wrong? This is a very important question, so no trolls or time-wasters, please.

Posted - April 6

Responses

I know they are not as well.  Thank you!!!
      April 6, 2024 9:39 AM MDT

I take it you've seen that happen to people you know in real life as well.
      April 27, 2024 7:05 AM MDT

Yes, someone very recently.  You answered the question for me. 

This post was edited by . at April 27, 2024 7:55 AM MDT
      April 27, 2024 7:53 AM MDT

You mean like Biden?
      April 6, 2024 1:51 PM MDT

No, I do not mean like Biden. See my comment on Durdle's answer.
      April 27, 2024 7:03 AM MDT

The site cannot "accuse" someone of being two people but I take it you mean users affecting two (or more) different personae?

That should be spotted by the user's URL, unless he or she is careful to use different ones - and does not slip up and accidentally mix messages. If so then it should be easy to deal with but it need care if the messages are from genuinely different people sharing the sending instrument.

Other users might sometimes multiple identities by similarities of topics and style - including common spelling errors.
      April 12, 2024 1:49 PM MDT

I'm talking about member A being falsely accused of being member B's sockpuppet when I know perfectly well that is not the case. This is something to which I am going to put a stop.
      April 27, 2024 7:02 AM MDT