Active Now

Danilo_G
Shuhak
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Anybody else want this?

Anybody else want this?

Posted - April 7

Responses

Yea, sure I'll bite!
      April 7, 2024 4:46 PM MDT

Yay, something political we agree on. :)
      April 7, 2024 6:23 PM MDT

Yes...and here is my pride flag:

April 8, 2024 6:23 AM MDT

If the Native Americans had the borders closed, none of us would be here.

How would you enforce mandating people speak English?  The reason the USA doesn't have a national language is because we welcome people from everywhere.  What I do resent are people who come here and, after living here for decades and enjoying the freedoms and everything else this country has to offer, fail to make an attempt to learn English which is the language most of us speak.

Seems to me it's the GOP that is failing to honor the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.  

What prevents welfare recipients from doing drugs after they've passed the initial drug test?  Do you propose to test every recipient every week while they are on welfare?  Do you have any idea how expensive that would be?

I will definitely agree to a balanced budget (which we had under Clinton, as well as a surplus), tax reform (not the nonsense promulgated by Trump which benefitted the people and corporations that needed it the least), and term limits.

April 8, 2024 10:48 AM MDT

I take this to mean to be fluent in English. 
      April 8, 2024 11:28 AM MDT

Fluent enough to be able to understand the basics of living in the USA.  We shouldn't have to print government notices in many different languages, especially when it comes to voting.  If you are eligible to vote, you should be fluent in English.
      April 9, 2024 7:55 AM MDT

Yes, we should learn from the Native Americans failure to secure their borders.

Means be able to speak and understand English all offical government papers to be in English...speak whatever you want at home. 

There was no balanced budget nor surplus under Clinton it is a lie they have told the American people for decades.  Our debt has increased every year for at least 50 years regardless of which party was in control and includes under Clinton.   The web site https://fiscaldata.treasury.gov/datasets/debt-to-the-penny/debt-to-the-penny will confirm the debt went up every year under Clinton. 

We do not need a wealth tax.  We need the Fair Tax. It takes the game out of taxes. Get rid of income tax and replaces it with a national sales tax. (Does not apply to basic neccessities) just spending.  

Welfare has to be renewed periodically  so a new test then.   To pass they will have to be clean long enough to pass it. This post was edited by my2cents at April 9, 2024 10:25 AM MDT
      April 8, 2024 6:40 PM MDT

I think you are confusing debt with deficit. A balanced budget means that income does not exceed expenditures. Expenditures can include repayment of debt. Just as you may have a mortgage or car loan and those payments are part of your budget, not the whole amount. If we spend more than we take in, that is a deficit. 
      April 8, 2024 9:31 PM MDT

There were no budgets passed at all during Obama's first term....so not sure how your chart.makes any claim for those years. 

If the debt goes up their was no real surplus...no one cares if it went down on paper.  Actual numbers are what matters. 

And as has also been demonstrated over the last few decades neither party cares about the debt...they use it as a talking point when their party is not in power. This post was edited by my2cents at April 9, 2024 7:31 AM MDT
      April 9, 2024 6:25 AM MDT

No point wasting my time explaining it to you.

But for anyone else who actually wants to understand: debt and deficit are two different things. We have not always had a deficit; the debt has been around since the country was founded. Treasury bonds, for example, are part of the nation's debt.  I am not defending the debt or the size of it, I am explaining it. When spending exceeds income there is a deficit regardless of whether there is a budget.

I have difficulty respecting opinions that are not based on facts, data and understanding .

April 9, 2024 7:48 AM MDT

I could be wrong but when people complain about balancing the budget, they mean they want to see the national debt (deficit) start to go down or at least not increase.  Not what their little paper said....the dollars in/out is what matters. And the out always out weighs the in....every year.
      April 9, 2024 9:38 AM MDT

Still wrong. Proving my point. Waste.Of.My.Time.
      April 9, 2024 1:04 PM MDT

So you speak for all people now?

I know what I mean when I say the government needs to balance their budget.   It is about the debt not increasing more and more every year. 

But as I said neither party cares....so whatever. 

April 9, 2024 8:19 PM MDT

????  I am not speaking for anyone. If the people you listen to think the debt and the deficit are the same thing, they should look up the definition.  I expect people would like to see both the debt and the deficit go down. When you claimed that the budget surplus in the Clinton administration was a lie, and then used the debt graph to prove it, I just pointed out the difference between debt and deficit. Yes, a deficit will add to the debt, but it is not the debt. We also pay interest on the debt which increases it even if there isn't a deficit. So Clinton had a surplus and the debt went up. No one lied. End of my input. I'm sure you'll have some final word but it won't change the definition.
      April 9, 2024 10:51 PM MDT

I said I believe most people mean stop making the debt increase. (This is what it means to people I know....they are talking about the national debt.)   It makes no difference if your have a surplus on paper but the debt never decreases. 

I am not talking about the technical definition.   

You never explained how they have a chart for the first 4 years under Obama.....no budgets were passed.  Pretty easy to claim it was balanced when did not exist. 
      April 10, 2024 6:22 AM MDT

I explained it, you must have not understood.. You don't need a budget to compare income to expenses. You take in money and spend money regardless. I guess you don't do your own bookkeeping. 

I have no argument with decreasing the debt and I stated as much.

If you don't care about using correct terminology, then you can pretty much spin things any way you like. If you want to say the debt didn't decrease under Clinton that is fine, but saying that the budget under Clinton being balanced is a lie, is inaccurate. Just move on already.
      April 10, 2024 7:16 AM MDT

My point about the "surplus" under Clinton was not a surplus....if it was our debt would not have went up.   If he made extra payments on the debt then it would have decreased.   It did not just not decrease...it increased. 
      April 10, 2024 3:35 PM MDT

I.Give.Up.
      April 10, 2024 6:16 PM MDT

The debt goes up in any given year by the amount of the deficit, or it decreases by the amount of any surplus.

Debt under Clinton increased every year...that not a surplus. 
    This post was edited by my2cents at April 10, 2024 7:29 PM MDT
      April 10, 2024 7:28 PM MDT

I already explained about interest adding to the debt. It grew less with the surplus, but it stll grew.  You're going to believe what you want. So fine. We were all lied to for decades, because you said so. Now go vote for the guy who added $2T to the debt by cutting taxes for the wealthy.

April 10, 2024 9:49 PM MDT

Interest should accounted for in a proper budget.  

I will be voting Trump. I got my tax cut and electricity cut, and bonus depreciation,  etc. I am not wealthy but I got a cuts as well. 
      April 11, 2024 4:28 AM MDT

Adding Trillions to the deficit is okay as long as you personally benefit. Got it.
      April 11, 2024 7:17 AM MDT

Sone MAGA nuts do actually understand economics but they have to pretend not to in order to defend His Royal Orangeness's commitment to wealth inequality.
      April 9, 2024 6:14 PM MDT

Nope!
      April 8, 2024 7:05 PM MDT