Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Can you see how difficult it may be to seat jurors and alternates for Trump's hush money trial?

Can you see how difficult it may be to seat jurors and alternates for Trump's hush money trial?

The troubles plaguing Donald Trump’s first criminal trial in New York City and its anonymous jury are starting to mount, as two jurors bowed out after details of their personal lives revealed in court drew public attention—and potentially a target on their backs.

At the start of the day, a nurse slotted as “juror number two” said details reported by news outlets allowed her to be identified by friends, scaring her enough to want to avoid serving on the most significant trial in the country’s history.

Then, at noon, a Puerto Rican IT consultant chosen to be “juror number four” held a private meeting with the judge, prosecutors, and defense attorneys to apparently share similar concerns.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-trial-day-3-starts-140535513.html

Posted - April 18

Responses

I think it should be moved from a district that voted 90% against the defendant....not sure how you get a fair trial like that.  
      April 18, 2024 12:38 PM MDT

You mean to a district that voted 90% for Trump?  Dream on.  His lawyers tried to move the trial to a different venue and the motion was denied.
      April 18, 2024 12:40 PM MDT

No.  Find a purple district. 
      April 18, 2024 12:54 PM MDT

It doesn't work that way.
      April 18, 2024 1:06 PM MDT

If is is evident that the court cannot find unbiased jurors then they should move it.  And that is how it is supposed to work. 
    Did you see the interview with the approved juror who backed out because of scheduling issues?  She was in no way unbiased. 
      April 18, 2024 3:47 PM MDT

There are enough people in New York City to find 12 jurors and 6 alternates - no need to move the trial.  I didn't see the interview.

EDIT:  Just logged in and the news is that they have all the jurors and alternates seated.  After doing some research, I discovered that there are about 5 million registered voters in New York City.  I would have been surprised if they couldn't suss out 18 people for the jury - even if it is Trump. This post was edited by Spunky at April 19, 2024 1:31 PM MDT
      April 19, 2024 8:26 AM MDT

They have good reason to be afraid.  If the idiot manages to "win" the election, he will go after them (or at least send others out to do it for him).  The man is unhinged. 
      April 18, 2024 1:13 PM MDT

Although I have no doubt that Trump is a steaming pile of excrement, I have some reservations about whether the prosecution will prove the felony charge. So, a juror can still be able to judge the facts no matter who the defendant is. If my major issue with Trump is his lack of integrity, it would be hypocritical to vote to convict on anything other than the evidence and the law. The fact that Trump and his enablers are working so hard to villify the jurors is making it seem that he doesn't belive in his own innocence. 
      April 19, 2024 9:08 AM MDT

If he was truly innocent, he would have wanted the speediest trial possible.  The fact that he keeps trying to delay tells me he isn't innocent.  In fact, Trump made a somewhat startling statement leaving court Tuesday:

"As the second day of Donald Trump's criminal trial wrapped up Tuesday, the former president told reporters outside the courthouse that he was innocent of charges that he falsified business records to cover-up his payments to adult film actress Stormy Daniels. In doing so, Trump may have accidentally confessed to his guilt by pinning the crime directly to himself.

"I was paying a lawyer and marked it down as a legal expense. Some accountant, I didn’t know, marked it down as a legal expense. That’s exactly what it was, and you get indicted over that?" Trump said. "I should be in Pennsylvania and Florida, in many other states. North Carolina, Georgia, campaigning."
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/trumps-confession-legal-experts-post-175714153.html

The fact that he "marked it down" himself belies his contention that it was an accountant that he didn't know marked it down as legal expenses.  Who doesn't know their accountant - especially someone like Donald Trump? 

April 19, 2024 9:55 AM MDT