Discussion » General » Automobiles » Have you wondered or maybe know why the rear view mirror on the passenger side of a car has things seem farther away than they actually are?

Have you wondered or maybe know why the rear view mirror on the passenger side of a car has things seem farther away than they actually are?

Posted - April 21

Responses

I think it's because you have a wider line of vision. 
      April 21, 2024 8:21 PM MDT

So it is impossible to make a mirror that gives a true view with any width? So I need width over accuracy?
      April 22, 2024 10:47 AM MDT

The rear view mirror on the passenger side of a car is designed to be convex, which means it curves outward. This design choice is made with safety in mind. A convex mirror provides a wider field of view, which helps to reduce the driver’s blind spots on that side of the vehicle. However, this also causes a slight distortion in the way objects are reflected. As a result, objects appear smaller and therefore seem farther away than they actually are.

This is why you often see the warning “Objects in mirror are closer than they appear” on passenger-side mirrors. It’s a reminder that the reflection does not accurately represent the distance of objects behind the car. The driver’s side mirror, on the other hand, is flat and gives a more accurate representation of the distance of objects reflected in it.

Always remember to check your mirrors frequently and look over your shoulder before changing lanes to ensure safety.

April 21, 2024 9:06 PM MDT

Appreciate your answer and see the explanation but I would rather see things as they are with the other 2 mirrors. And rarely even look at that mirror.
      April 22, 2024 10:46 AM MDT

First car I owned didn't even have a mirror on that side - they weren't mandatory in Australia until 1976 and vehicles built before that year were never required to have them retrofitted. It made me a better driver as I was never reliant on it and I am still not. Nothing beats a quick look over the shoulder.
      April 23, 2024 9:36 AM MDT