Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » Do you find my response to this life experience strange?

Do you find my response to this life experience strange?

* I am in what ( from what I've read and heard) many people consider the World's Best Movie -- "The Shawshank Redemption" 

*  For being in it (yes, you can see me; I'm an extra), I've only seen the movie three times 

*  No plot spoilers here but the movie has way too many strong emotional scenes for me; I get terribly upset (yet, I can watch hundreds of suspense and horror movies and enjoy them)

* I've seen the movie only three times but have listened to Thomas Newman's original music score for the film literally countless (possibly thousands of) times -- the music is so beautiful for me.

**  Not related to my question but I find it pretty interesting that we extras were told NOT to EVER approach the movie's "stars" and bother them; but a man came up to me and started talking to me on the outdoor set one day. He was so funny and nice. I thought he was another extra in the movie. Over a year later when I saw the movie in its initial theatrical release (I went alone), I saw him! "There is that guy who talked to me that one day!" I thought. I added his picture to my question -- he is actor William Sadler. I find it even more interesting that, by FAR, his character "Heywood" is my favorite character in the movie.

* Countless people share with me about how many times they watch this movie. They love it! 

PLOT SPOILER!!!

"It has such a happy ending" they literally exclaim. I respond, "But, along the way, the journey is way too painful for me."

Again, my question, do you find my response to this life experience strange?

Posted - May 2

Responses

I liked the movie as well and yes, it is a painful journey.  Don't think I'll ever watch it again.

This post was edited by . at May 3, 2024 8:49 AM MDT
      May 2, 2024 4:07 PM MDT

I agree with you on everything yo ushared here, yes.

I just have sort of often thought, "Hey, you're in the movie. It was a fun experience and a fun work experience. Weird you can't watch."
    :)

May 3, 2024 5:28 AM MDT

And if you get a chance, I recommend your considering looking up and just listening to Thomas Newman's score for the movie. Wonderfully understated and quiet music. Indeed, "Music Is Healing."  :)

And I remember your liking another of Thomas Newman's' music moment that I had posted as a question a while ago -- 'The Farm' from his "Road to Perdition" score.
      May 3, 2024 5:44 AM MDT

I'll check out the music for sure, thanks. 
      May 3, 2024 11:07 AM MDT

Hope you may enjoy. :)
      May 4, 2024 5:35 PM MDT

No, not strange to me. There are many movies that I won't watch or won't  finish watching because they are upsetting.  
      May 2, 2024 7:18 PM MDT

Well said.  :)

With how much fun and interesting the whole filming experience was for me I've often thought it strange to me that I can't watch the movie but I surely love listening to Newman's music! :)

And I believe Thomas Newman and his music efforts for the movie are not given NEARLY enough credit to the movie's superiority. If you get a chance, I recommend just looking up his score and listening.

And I admit I may get uncomfortable watching a movie but I always watch to the end.
    Though, in the theater, I wanted to get up and leave many times while watching the original "Cloverfield." I find "Cloverfield" a great movie, too.

And THE Most Disturbing Movie I've Yet to See --  director Michaël Haneke's original (not his American remake) 1997 "Funny Games."  SO disturbing in a quiet, polite way (which made it so disturbing!)
    A masterpiece for me. :) and then I started watching all his movies after seeing his "Funny Games." A flawless-to-me cast, too.
    Somehow I can deal with it all compared to "The Shawshank Redemption."
      May 3, 2024 5:39 AM MDT

I listened to it last night and did enjoy it a lot. thanks!
      May 4, 2024 6:46 PM MDT

I think that's quite understandable! Have only seen the movie once, but would like to do so again. There are flicks I'm not very tempted to re-watch myself; those are more along the lines of Irréversible... 

So, William Sadler sounds cool!
      May 3, 2024 8:51 AM MDT

I don't know of 'Irreversible." Haven't seen it. Tell me nothing about it. I looked up only images of the cast -- looks impressive.

Sadler was so nice with whom to talk; comfortable and funny. Never did  he have a "I'm a major character/actor/star" kind of aura. (None of the major actors did, from what I could see; though Sadler was the only one with whom I talked.)
    And with my anxious reaction to the film, having recognized him helped me. Not that we had talked that long (maybe 15 minutes?), but, with him talking with me, and his being nice, I find it cool that his character ended up being my favorite in the movie. And it wasn't because he had talked with me. I find his "Heywood" character refreshing in the film.
      May 4, 2024 5:42 PM MDT