Active Now

Danilo_G
Shuhak
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Politics » We see in the papers that the EU is trying to build up its own army because they don't trust Trump to help - thoughts?

We see in the papers that the EU is trying to build up its own army because they don't trust Trump to help - thoughts?

They say that they don't believe that if it came to protecting Europe, or helping protect it that Trump would help.. Personally I find it very worrying that EU are doing, or trying to do that! It seems they sure aren't happy with America's choice of President.  Ironic really though as I recall America were all in favour of the EU and particularly of UK's staying in the EU as America felt that the EU was a good thing and that UK's staying in it helped keep things stable..

Posted - November 11, 2016

Responses

The US government has been doing stupid things in foreign countries for about a hundred years that I have been aware of. You would think folks would grow a brain and figure out that pretending to protect the world is not a useful endeavor.
      November 11, 2016 8:32 AM MST

• LOL Bless ya.. I've never even considered turning to America for help but traditionally Brits and the States have always had a special relationship.. However, this isnt about the UK it's about the EU and erm we aren't the EU.
      November 11, 2016 9:29 AM MST

• Personally the EU has always worried me more than a lot of things.
      November 11, 2016 8:39 AM MST

• Interesting.. i feel similarly but would be interested to know why you feel so?
      November 11, 2016 9:30 AM MST

• Short form?

Concentration of power and too much like creating an empire by taking away the sovereignty of independent nations.  It's the concept catching on worldwide that I find creepy.  Spreading to other areas of the globe until it looks like the map in a game of Risk!.
      November 11, 2016 9:36 AM MST

• Ok.. that pretty much sums up how i feel too.. there were some suspicions that the EU is becoming more and more like an empire.. dictating to others, secretly building up it's own army... .I am not one for conspiracy theories but it does look like they are using any excuse to get that army together.. 
      November 11, 2016 9:43 AM MST

• I think a lot if not all the post WW2 and Cold War treaties and organizations have outlived their useful lives and need to be reexamined.
      November 11, 2016 9:50 AM MST

Dear Donald Trump:   (From EU)

F. U. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 11, 2016 1:29 PM MST
      November 11, 2016 9:51 AM MST

I think the position is clear and the US will support NATO countries as long as the countries fulfill their obligations and do not act as freeloaders.
      November 11, 2016 9:52 AM MST

• OK interesting.. what do you feel their obligations are? I mean the EU? DO you mean trade/money/profit for the US? How would they be freeloading?  Interested in your answer...cool we can debate things like this here
      November 11, 2016 10:03 AM MST

There are conditions to be in NATO such as to participate in certain activities and to spend a certain amount to keep up a military that would be useful for deterrence of attack and defense of allies.  I do not know the exact details but I know this is the case and some nations have not met their obligations for many years so they are basically relying on the strength of other NATO allies to protect them while not offering as much in return. This is what trump has brought up. We are subsidizing the defense of these other countries. It is as if one person is spending on fire fighter service for the entire street and the other people decide not to pay their share for the same.
      November 11, 2016 12:20 PM MST

• Oh right.. bit like the EU then.. we were subsidising much of the EU.. nice thing to do.. but... I am a believer in Nato personally.. not that i really approve of war .. but NATO are an effective force.. I think it's worrying that EU wants to build up an army of their own..seems suspicious to me.. why not just support fully NATO..

SO from this perhaps EU are trying to find a way not to support NATO - in which case they couldnt expect NATO support.. I dont think anyone either relies on or expects USA to protect anyone.. that's just dumb
      November 11, 2016 12:50 PM MST

That is the purpose of NATO. An attack on one is considered an attack on all and all NATO allies are expected to respond to such attack. The countries in NATO with small military most certainly do rely on NATO for protection.
      November 11, 2016 12:56 PM MST

• I am agreeing with you.. makes no sense to have an EU army.. NATO is there for all.. NATO isn't America.. it's NATO and should be free of anything the president does or doesn't say
      November 11, 2016 1:00 PM MST

no more free lunch....
      November 11, 2016 5:57 PM MST

• I am afraid the concept of anyone getting a free lunch was a myth - just another trump soundbite blown out of proportion. However trump et al might want to think about the consequences if Russia say attacks and invades europe.. While it's understandable America might feel so what...the consequences of their old enemy gaining too much power and strength might be worth worrying about.  This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 22, 2016 8:11 AM MST
      November 22, 2016 8:08 AM MST

americas guns are big... cross them at ur own peril
      November 22, 2016 12:28 PM MST