Active Now

Danilo_G
Echooos
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » All political offices are won by POPULAR vote. No Electoral College Albatross. Only the prez is singled out for that "honor"! WHY?

All political offices are won by POPULAR vote. No Electoral College Albatross. Only the prez is singled out for that "honor"! WHY?

You vote for whomever you want for all local, state, federal political offices and whomever receives the most votes WINS. There is no Electoral College hocus pocus. A clear mahority vote is what it takes. That makes sense. Nothing else does.

Posted - November 14, 2016

Responses

So that more densely populated states like California don't stomp out the voices of the smaller states when it comes to choosing the entire nation's leader. Whoever wins the popular vote in a state wins that state and gets a certain number of points for it. I'm not very good at explaining this, but I tried.
      November 14, 2016 3:44 AM MST

California has 39 million people Patch. Other states have less than a million. Why isn't it  fair to have California have a larger voice than a state 1/39th the size? Why should equal weight be given to much less populated states? Thank you for your reply! :)
      November 14, 2016 5:50 AM MST

Probably because the United States is made up of multiple states and a few bigger states shouldn't be making all the decisions every time. Also, with denser populations, people tend to be more influenced by each other. We couldn't have a few big cities making all the decisions because then the smaller states would eventually be fed up with being ignored all the time and possibly rise up or something. Lots of different regions have different points of view and should all have a voice. This post was edited by Patchouli at August 1, 2018 9:52 AM MDT
      November 14, 2016 6:08 AM MST

• The smaller states aren't given equal weight.  They have less electors.   It's only designed to give the smaller states some voice, not eliminate the voice of population centers.

The problem with pure majority rule is that the benefit of a large population center is often different than the smaller population areas.
      November 14, 2016 6:41 AM MST

Thank you, I'm kinda fuzzy on this subject so I can't explain it too well.
      November 14, 2016 6:45 AM MST

It is a union of states and states determine who they will send to vote for the leader of the union.
    This is a very common system worldwide in most democratic countries for electing the leader of the country, where some geographic area elects representatives by simple majority and each representative counts toward the final choice of the leader. In the USA the geographic area is a state.
      November 14, 2016 6:27 AM MST