Active Now

Slartibartfast
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Communication » I know they CAN, but SHOULD Twitter have kicked off members of the so-called "Alt-Right"?

I know they CAN, but SHOULD Twitter have kicked off members of the so-called "Alt-Right"?

SHOULDN'T they kick off ALL people with EXTREME views?

If this was the 80s the PMRC would have kicked off Heavy Metal and Hardcore Punk bands. You know. Tipper Gore. Gore. Tipper Gore.

I KNOW they CAN, but SHOULD?

What does PET think?

Will PET ban Twitter?

Will Twitter ban PET?

What if PET joined this site?

OOOOOH.

Posted - November 17, 2016

Responses

Probably not because it seems like these methods will give the opposite outcome that they wish.
      November 17, 2016 6:48 AM MST

Hello IT:

My guess is they're concerned with the integrity of their site, and not trying to cure racism..  Extreme views and racist views are NOT the same thing..  If I ran the site, I'd welcome extreme views.  Frankly, I HAVE extreme views..  Should I be banned from here?

excon
      November 17, 2016 7:10 AM MST

No. You present your views in an adult and sane manner.  No one should censor this type of behavior. 

If you got on here and spammed your opinion for 24 hours straight and no one else had a chance to contribute, that is another thing. 
      November 17, 2016 9:29 AM MST

• Twitter is well known for kicking people off for just that and MUCH MUCH less.  It's an extremely censored site.
      November 17, 2016 9:15 AM MST

• I am too.  It accomplishes nothing.  Nothing of value anyways.  It's so silly how much people think language should be legislated.  Why?  So people can find themselves in trouble for a joke or making examples while pushing people with seriously offensive rhetoric and views into the shadows where they exist but cannot be seen?   Good job!

It's like people actually feel they have some BS right not to hear things that is offensive.  Ridiculous.
    What's worse is how it's creeping on the Internet at breakneck speed.  It used to be a wonderful bastion where anyone could say anything. In recent years so much censorship by questionable sites the free and open internet is dying.  Censoring of any kind used to get you shamed and ridiculed off by the net community.  Now it's the opposite.   Sure you used to see a lot of disgusting and vile views and opinions written in stomach turning language,  but that same mechanism allowed you to find wonderful gems of insight and thought. You weren't protected from REAL thoughts and views.  What is was laid right out to see, good and bad.   This new wave of internet censorship from this new generation of casual users is like this day and ages Eternal September.  I fully acknowledge and respect a sites private ownership and right to manage it as they see fit,  it's the new embracing and censorship culture that is taking over starting on sites like Facebook and Twitter that's been spreading like a cancer that is troubling.

When you censor anyone,  you censor everyone.  Including yourself.
      November 17, 2016 9:38 AM MST

• This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 17, 2016 10:38 AM MST
      November 17, 2016 10:26 AM MST

The censorship is prolific on many sites.  The (biased) censorship on Twitter has fueled a new startup alternative to Twitter dedicated to free speech.  I'd like to see a similar start up in response to YT.  
      November 17, 2016 9:25 AM MST

Yes.  I am so FKING sick of people thinking censorship means that bullies can terrorize the world with their diatribes and nonsense.  Follow the rules or get lost.    Censorship is not evil.  Censorship when performed for the correct reasons, protects. 

If I came on here, on Answer Mug, and acted like those Alt Right morons, I would be tossed off too.  Not because I don't have the right to speak, but because I don't have the right to spam and harass and force my opinion where it is not wanted or welcomed. 

Where are our rights when someone who wants to abuse runs riot?   Twitter causes fights.  Fights cause problems.  Twitter is huge, they can only do so much.   I have never been on Twitter.  So, I don't know how hypocritical they are.  I don't join things that rule my life that way. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 17, 2016 9:37 AM MST
      November 17, 2016 9:27 AM MST

When censorship crosses the line, people hate it and cry foul.  That is not censorship either.  That is abuse of censorship.

There should be certain rules in place as guidelines.  When those rules are transgressed, then censorship laws prevail.

In this country where no one can keep their mouth shut for more than one minute, where a bully moron can stand up in front of a nation for 2 years and spout the most perverse nonsense ever imagined by an educated person, I think we need to mourn the loss of censorship rather than bemoan the fact that it exists.

It hardly does any longer. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 17, 2016 9:47 AM MST
      November 17, 2016 9:40 AM MST

The danger of censorship is you will not know what has been censored.
    Back in the day women who talked about women's right to vote were extreme and considered radical.
    Civil rights activist in the 50's were radical and extreme.

We do not have the right to "Not Be Offended".
      November 17, 2016 9:36 AM MST