Active Now

Slartibartfast
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » The World Record Whitetail Deer was killed a few miles from here recently. Do you hunt or are you opposed to it?

The World Record Whitetail Deer was killed a few miles from here recently. Do you hunt or are you opposed to it?

I once was a hunter but now I'd rather just use a camera and take pictures and get Kosher meat from a store.

Posted - November 18, 2016

Responses

How evolved.  Let someone else do that massacring.  It's just too icky to think about anymore isn't it?   Ummmm... they are still dying.  Even if they are not the most beautiful or prized.

And even if you do not shoot them yourself.  And even if it is Kosher.   But it IS a step in the right direction.  At least you are not praising hunting any more. 

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 18, 2016 11:33 AM MST
      November 18, 2016 11:31 AM MST

November 18, 2016 11:33 AM MST

Like yourself, I used to hunt. Now I'd rather just bring a camera. I am not opposed to hunting, as long as it is done to feed you family. "Sport" or "Trophy" hunting, I have a problem with.
    Gotcha
    This post was edited by Crow at December 5, 2016 10:08 AM MST
      November 18, 2016 11:33 AM MST

Opposed completely, but enough about me.  What about him?  Where is Waboo? What is he doing?
      November 18, 2016 11:34 AM MST

WABOO has been gone for almost a year now.  He never really seemed to warm up to the idea of a new site after Answer Bag.  And I don't know why.  He was PB'd at every turn on that site and I have no idea why he was targeted there. 

I would think he would like this much better, but maybe that is not even the reason.  I wish he would show up again.
      November 18, 2016 11:48 AM MST

I did not/will not take part in this year's hunt.  I am certainly not opposed to hunting, however.  On the contrary, I support it and take part when I
    can.

As a teen, the very thought of eating "bambi" was repugnant to me.  I recall babysitting for my brother one night, and as they left, his wife hollered out that there was stew on the stove.  I assumed it to be beef stew, and as she was a great cook, I thought she had simply outdone herself...it was truly the best stew I'd ever had...it was venison.  

I still couldn't bring myself to eat venison after that though.  Then there came a time when it was kill deer or don't eat.  I came to love venison during that time.  I actually went out and hunted and harvested myself.

There is a nature preserve up the road and this became an issue recently.  The nature preserve had a deer population that the land simply could not accommodate.  A restricted hunt was proposed, and opposed by those who thought themselves advocates of the deer.  The "advocates" won...and the deer starved...yay???  

Nature requires  some pretty sketchy stuff.  Spiders eat flies.  Cats eat mice.  Wolves eat elk.  And yes...men eat deer.  Get over it.
      November 18, 2016 12:56 PM MST

I am a vegetarian but if someone is hunting and will eat what they have killed I see that is better than normal eating of meat which is usually to keep an animal trapped in filthy overcrowded cage with nothing but pain and stress for the entire life and then to package it as commodity to be thrown out if it does not sell well and likely halfway wasted by overfed americans. The animal which is hunted at least has a life in nature and can enjoy its time before it is killed.
      November 18, 2016 2:26 PM MST

• I am not a fan of hunting.. it's a useful skill if we have to survive but to be honest few of us do have to rely on hunting now.. so imo we shouldn't... we can buy meat.. 

I totally agree that animal health and welfare standards MUST be high.. and animals should be kept as naturally as possible not in sheds..

Re ITPro's point that life in nature has a natural life.. very true but we cannot therefore know things like.. how are the numbers, too many, too few, are we driving an animal to extinction, do we know whether something we kill has a family it's raising which will suffer and die.. can we be VERY sure it's a clean kill... etc etc..  Not all animals in all countries are kept in bad conditions and there are often in these countries legal standards re their welfare while they are alive, their transport and their slaughter.

We probaly should all eat a lot less meat and value that an animal lost it's life for us to eat.. and that in raising animals be it natural or farmed there is a LOT of time and effort that goes into each animal.

I am not a fan of kosher meat either but that's an entirely different topic. 
      November 18, 2016 2:58 PM MST

I'm opposed to it.
      November 18, 2016 3:48 PM MST

I don't hunt but I am not opposed to hunting. 
      November 18, 2016 6:45 PM MST

• Hunting for sport bothers me. I've never hunted and probably never will. 
      November 18, 2016 6:52 PM MST

Hunting is the best game management method available.

I have hunted but have not in years due to time constraints.
    I support hunting and fishing.

As to "Sport Hunting" seems the media paints it as someone shoots an animal and only takes the trophy. Not in any state is that legal. The meat goes with the hunter or charity (food banks).

Big game hunting in Africa and other countries the meat goes to the locals for helping with the hunt. The animal is not wasted.
    Hunting feeds a lot of people.
      November 18, 2016 7:00 PM MST

Please see the Calvin & Hobbes cartoon elsewhere in this thread for a rebuttal.
      November 18, 2016 7:02 PM MST

Won't waste my time with cartoons.
      November 18, 2016 7:04 PM MST

• Trophy hunting is legal, though some states restrict which animals can be hunted (in California, cougar hunting is illegal). But I don't know of any place in the U.S. where trophy hunting itself is illegal. There's no requirement that the meat must be used. 
      November 18, 2016 7:32 PM MST

I know in my state and surrounding states "Wanton Waste" laws are in place to prevent leaving game in the field.
      November 19, 2016 6:01 AM MST

I don't hunt, but I'm not opposed to it so long as it's regulated and the animal is used to feed people. I remember as a child after my parents divorced, we were having financial issues and local hunters would stop by our house and give us some meat from their kills. They do that with all the needy families around here, so I appreciate them.
      November 18, 2016 7:06 PM MST