Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » "There is no wrong way to do the right thing"! The right thing is for the Electoral College to elect Hillary Clinton prez. Isn't it?

"There is no wrong way to do the right thing"! The right thing is for the Electoral College to elect Hillary Clinton prez. Isn't it?

As of today  Hillary is 1.7 MILLION popular votes ahead of PET. AND COUNTING. Having a LOSER as prez did not work well for us before. The last loser gave us the Iraq war and ISIS. Ya really want more of the same? Why?

Posted - November 22, 2016

Responses

The thing is:  HOW?  How are they gonna DO this now?  What is the incentive to make them back down and admit they were in grave error?

Who has the clout to overturn this lie????  Was there a cutoff time?  Did the votes have to be counted and announced by midnight and anything else not counted did not matter?

This is outlandish. The whole deal.
      November 22, 2016 9:53 AM MST

•   November 22, 2016 10:20 AM MST

• "There is no wrong way to do the right thing"!

False!

(The ends do not always justify the means.  Method can negate  the righteousness of  any good intention.)

November 22, 2016 10:35 AM MST

And worse yet, "a 'good' intention" is a value judgement, that nobody can objectively make, Is some voting places set the Hilarys votes aside to be counted later with the good intention of making 'a good Republican' win over 'a commie liberal' who is to say their intention was not 'good'?
      November 22, 2016 11:18 AM MST

RE: "There is no wrong way to do the right thing"

I'm sorry, but NO!

While that has rhetorical flourish, what you are stating is the ends (The Right Thing) justify the means (No Wrong Way).

Using noble ends to justify horrible means has been the source of enormous amounts of suffering and injustice in human history.

While I don't like Trump will be elected President and I believe the Electoral College is an antiquated institution which badly needs reform, I don't think my preferences justify overturning the election result by any and all means.

I'm sure you were miffed when the SCOTUS decided in Bush v. Gore that having the Right Outcome was more important than actually counting the votes in Florida. I'm also sure in the minds of the 5 justices their highly unusual decision (which they explicitly said should NOT be used as precedent for any future similar cases), the outcome meant their convoluted, contradictory, and not-to-be-repeated legal "reasoning" was Not The Wrong Way. This post was edited by OldSchoolTheSKOSlives at November 23, 2016 3:01 AM MST
      November 22, 2016 10:38 AM MST

Your response does not compute. Mahalo for your reply OS and Happy Wednesday.  I have no idea why your read of "there is no wrong way to do the right thing" is so different from mine. It happens. Different strokes. This post was edited by RosieG at November 23, 2016 4:36 AM MST
      November 23, 2016 3:02 AM MST

The right thing is not to change the rules just because you have lost the game. It is fine to change them before the next round but everyone who voted this time voted knowing that it was the electoral college wins that count and not the popular vote. If that were different then campaigning would be different and voting would be different.

November 22, 2016 2:11 PM MST

• My understanding is the original concept of the electoral college was to vote the best person for the job, because back in the earthy 1800s the ordinary voter would not have known who was best for the job ... What's changed?
      November 22, 2016 3:11 PM MST

Looks like the premises hasn't changed much. Gah.
      November 22, 2016 3:16 PM MST

• One would assume after digging such a deep hole they might have stopped... Apparently not .,
      November 22, 2016 3:17 PM MST

Frightening that the voters aren't trusted. Popular vote should be the wish by the people. But then there might be a need to look further into the whole voting system. Guess not that many politicians in the house or senate are interested in such. Oomph.
      November 22, 2016 3:31 PM MST

Thank you for your reply Og and Happy Wednesday to thee! :)
      November 23, 2016 3:03 AM MST

• No... I don't think they are ... I've always had a suspicion that anyone who puts their hand up for a position of power should be the last ones to be granted it
      November 22, 2016 3:34 PM MST

Mhmm.
      November 22, 2016 3:36 PM MST

I'm gonna have to think about that m'dear. It sounds very profound to me Just as is true of those who want jobs that authorize them to have a loaded gun and kill people and get away with it should be the last ones to be allowed to do it.  Yes. It is growing on me. I think you hit on something very astute. Thank you for your reply Ozgirl! :) In fact I'm gonna ask a question based on  it for which I shall give you anonymous credit. You will recognize it. Thank you in advance. It is a he** of a great observation! :) ((hugs))
      November 23, 2016 3:08 AM MST

• Well shucks and thanks :) ... I really don't know if it's my thought or I read it somewhere and it stuck., There's a beautiful truth in there that takes you by the throat then hits you over the head with a dead fish!
      November 23, 2016 4:51 AM MST