Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Bye Chris Evans?

Bye Chris Evans?

If you watched Top Gear, what did you think?

Personally, I was not a fan of his.  Being too loud and trying to hard in my opinion.

Posted - July 5, 2016

Responses

I´ve never watched that show but I´ve read he was kind of a d**k and treated staff horribly.

July 5, 2016 1:24 PM MDT

Heard that too, but never really knew if that was true or just bad publicity.

July 5, 2016 1:27 PM MDT

July 5, 2016 1:30 PM MDT

I've watched very little of Top Gear since the Clarkson/May/Hammond trio moved on.

I think the producers are desperately trying to capture an ineffable quality that is very difficult to duplicate, and their efforts to date have been a failure.

July 5, 2016 1:59 PM MDT

You can't manufacture chemistry outside of a lab.

July 5, 2016 2:00 PM MDT

• I have never been a fan of Chris Evans and I don't think his brand of celebrity was right for the show but to be fair to the man I think his contract was doomed from the start.

The programme needed either a rest for a year or two or a complete departure from the format of Clarkson's baby.  Neither was a real option.  Perhaps if they whittle the presenters down gradually, they'll get the best of them and the survivors of the cull can manage to develop a new format and style of their own.

July 5, 2016 2:02 PM MDT

It did seem like they just tossed a bunch of names in there and an American to see how it stuck.  I think it will succeed, just in it's own way.  When "The Grand Tour" comes out we shall see how it does.  From what I can tell, they're not rushing that at all.

July 5, 2016 2:05 PM MDT

• There's no rush for them really.  They have a pile of cash from Amazon to sit on while they're doing it too.  :)

The Grand Tour will probably attempt to better the already excellent production values shown by Top Gear and it may well do so.  I'll be interested to see if Clarkson's perpetual refrain that the BBC was too cautious will be born out.  I suspect any comparison between the two shows will be particularly unflattering to the Evans version, but Top Gear may return for it's second series and be a pleasant surprise.  

Where Evans is concerned, I think it really will be a case of, 'fewer hands make lighter work'.

July 6, 2016 6:39 AM MDT