Active Now

Malizz
Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Excluding dictatorships where votes are jokes is America the only country where the majority vote loses? Isn't that embarrtassing?

Excluding dictatorships where votes are jokes is America the only country where the majority vote loses? Isn't that embarrtassing?

Posted - December 7, 2016

Responses

• No.  Not really IMHO.
      December 7, 2016 9:15 AM MST

The scenario can happen in many countries.
    What is more normal for this world is that there is no majority and the highest minority wins.
    I do not believe people in other countries are embarassed by it. It seems to be an american phenomenon to ignorantly claim that something is very different here when it is not and to state that such is embarrassment.
      December 7, 2016 9:27 AM MST

• Most representative democracies are designed to limit it happening, but that doesn't make it impossible.  I think the UK has had a minority government about 4 times since WW2, but don't quote me.  :)

This is an ongoing debate Rosie and not one that's about to end soon.  I do like this article though (written 15 years ago too) which seems to come to a conclusion I can live with.

http://www.spectacle.org/0201/minority.html
      December 7, 2016 9:42 AM MST

• I must interject on the article.   The Athenian model depended on slavery to perform it's function.   With clear lines creating a caste system where not all people who lived in an under Athenian rule was a "citizen".  It strongly relied on "citizens" being able to own slaves and land to function.
      December 7, 2016 1:04 PM MST

• Well yes, but if I can use my imagination for a moment I think the writer would point out that slavery and aristocracy are merely two ends of the same stick and that insofar as that is true they represent merely extreme versions of any 'class' system.  I'm not sure I'd agree with that entirely, nevertheless on most of it's broader points and several of it's specifics I find it a remarkably prescient article.
      December 7, 2016 4:30 PM MST

We have one of the best systems in the world, the electoral system is what makes it fair so all states have a say so and not just large populations I large populated states.
      If it was about just popular votes Hillary would have won, everyone knows how bad that would have been, our system saved the country from more Liberalism. WHAT A COUNTRY! This post was edited by TomThumb at October 30, 2017 6:52 AM MDT
      December 7, 2016 12:53 PM MST