Active Now

Slartibartfast
Spunky
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » If you're a brain surgeon you need education to operate. But a brain surgeon heading a department about which he knows nothing? Seriously?

If you're a brain surgeon you need education to operate. But a brain surgeon heading a department about which he knows nothing? Seriously?

Posted - December 9, 2016

Responses

What you have said I think is expressing the thought pattern that is ruining america at this moment and that is people ignore intelligence to instead focus on other ideas of position and experience. A person who has become a brain surgeon is obviously a very smart person and they did not become this through lies or corruption or winning a popularity contest. The intelligence should make them first choice for anything unless they have a trait which excludes them. I see the problem every day in IT where companies think that some person who is brilliant and an engineer cannot have the skills needed for jobs of management and ownership. Of course that person can and will probably do better than another who only took a path of management because they had no real ability and just fell into whatever was left over. Those in these managment positions think themselves higher than the engineers who could easily do a better job at their job. This is a condition of people who are unwilling to accept that someone can be a great engineer and also be a great manager or businessman or politician or athlete or anything because that means that person is simply better. The average person hates to consider that someone else can be better at everything they do. A typical brain surgeon is very smart and can probably do better in political office than someone who has skills of winning popularity contests. This thinking that smart people are only smart in some narrow way need to be wiped out because it is stupid. Someones intelligence should be a reason to consider them for more important positions rather than exclude them
      December 9, 2016 8:01 AM MST

Hello IT:

Nahhh...  Running a large organization takes SKILL - NOT intelligence.. 

excon
      December 9, 2016 8:20 AM MST

Doing anything very well takes intelligence which cannot be learned and skill which can be learned and will be learned better by a more intelligent person.
      December 9, 2016 1:38 PM MST

Who would you rather hire to do some software programming: Someone who has 10 years experience and has shown competence, or an "intelligent" dental assistant?

Who would you rather hire to fix your car: Someone with 10 years experience fixing cars, or a brain surgeon who doesn't know the first thing about how cars work?

Your defense of the Ben Carson selection is just ideologically-driven special pleading.
      December 9, 2016 1:51 PM MST

Thank you for your reply ITp and Happy Friday to thee. Smart/intelligent is not the same thing as knowledgeable/experienced.
      December 9, 2016 12:05 PM MST

• Think about how wonderful his 'promotion' (and, I suspect, it's aftermath) will be for those poor unfortunate brain surgeons who are expected to be intelligent about things other than brains.

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/ben-carson-shattering-stereotype-about-brain-surgeons-being-smart
      December 9, 2016 8:16 AM MST

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! I'm laughing hysterically as I'm crying hysterically as well. Yep. Another stereotype smashed to he**. Oy vey!  What's next? Double oy vey! Thank you for your reply MrWitch and Happy Friday! :)
      December 9, 2016 12:03 PM MST

How brilliant can Ben Carson be? He said he thought Joseph (of the Bible story) built the pyramids in Egypt to store grain.
      December 9, 2016 12:09 PM MST