Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » What's an underrated movie you think deserves more recognition or wish more people would watch?

What's an underrated movie you think deserves more recognition or wish more people would watch?

a few months ago, I watched a movie called Tangerine (2015). I don't remember what brought it to my attention, but I did. A few minutes in, and I realize it's littered with insane amounts of ridiculousness. It was full of all kinds of exaggerated stereotypes and seemed to use them as its main comedic style. I thought what the hell, it seemed like the kind of movie that was so bad it was good, and it kept me laughing in disbelief that this was actually a thing that was made. But it was all shot with an iphone camera, and I thought at least I'll give it credit for that.

until I watched it till the end, where my appreciation for how the movie was shot flew right out of the window, and it just became a simple but heart-wrenching movie. it all tied together for me, and I appreciated every single person who has worked on it. it left me uneasy but also strangely satisfied.. like I just watched something so clearly meaningful.

Posted - May 10, 2017

Responses

Lars and the Real Girl and The Midnight Meat Train. 
      May 10, 2017 10:32 PM MDT

Lars and the Real Girl is pretty good, I remember that one.. one of the few times I liked Ryan Gosling's role in a movie. 
      May 10, 2017 10:37 PM MDT

• I agree highly...Midnight Meat Train is shamefully neglected.Awesome flick

May 10, 2017 10:46 PM MDT

• I really love Melancholia. It's a beautiful movie to look at with an excellent story line. I guess I'm not too surprised that it's not talked about much because it's drama  being overshadowed by an apocalyptic event nearing... set at a wedding.  I think alot of people pass it off as an arty-fartsy chick flick. No way! 

Another that I really need to mention is "Martin" by George Romero.  Goddamn! I do not know why people don't talk about this movie!  It freaking amazing! Beautiful B&W with a very unique story-line. I HIGHLY recommend it This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at May 25, 2017 3:24 PM MDT
      May 10, 2017 10:52 PM MDT

Yes, I agree. Melancholia is not nearly as talked about as it should be. It was interesting seeing Kirsten Dunst in a more serious drama role, not that she hasn't been in any, but she was just never considered a serious actress. I thought she held her own, but left me wanting a bit more out of her performance, in my opinion. Still, I love seeing more artsy, abstract movies being made.. we don't get enough of those.

I've never heard of Martin. I'll be sure to check it out at some point. :) This post was edited by nobodylair.37 at May 25, 2017 3:19 PM MDT
      May 10, 2017 11:14 PM MDT

• Dunst was really good. I guess for playing a depressed, mess..she pulled it off well. For some reason when I first read your reply, I thought you were saying you wanted more from the movie which I thought was funny given the climax. lol   I have a difficult time accepting  Von Triers made this. It's different from his other works imo.

If you dig horror and you like George Romero, this is it...  I think he did an outstanding job with Night of the Living dead, but Martin is a far better film. It's a vampire flick, but it's is not what you think...It takes a clinical, realistic approach to vampirism rather than supernatural. Man...I actually watched it 2 weeks ago (AGAIN! LOL) This movie holds up surprising well for how old it is and the acting is great. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at May 25, 2017 3:11 PM MDT
      May 10, 2017 11:52 PM MDT

I actually don't like horror.. at all. lol
    but I will sometimes, on a rare occassion, watch a horror if it feels more like a psychological thriller than a traditional horror flick. or if it's really bad, haha, which I'm guessing Martin isn't.. I'll give it a watch, if it gets too bloody for me.. I'm out. :P

May 11, 2017 12:19 AM MDT

I liked "Martin," too!
    :)
      May 25, 2017 3:12 PM MDT

• It's up there for me. An excellent indie film. Acting is excellent and the plot is really original. I like the entire early 70''s grimy feel it has.
      May 25, 2017 6:48 PM MDT

Yup -- you already said it for me as to what I liked a lot about it ~

"It takes a clinical, realistic approach to vampirism rather than supernatural."
      May 25, 2017 7:38 PM MDT

UPDATE: So much for "underrated" --  my answers, besides "Love Object" (as far as I know) were received basically OK and/or well by critics

"The Nines" --  superb performance by Ryan Reynolds - - he surprised the heck out of me (and entire cast and movie are great)

"Strangers in Good Company" 

"Love Object"

"Bug"  - directed by William Friedkin

and

"La Promesse"  

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 25, 2017 9:04 PM MDT
      May 25, 2017 3:14 PM MDT

• BUG! I wanted to take a shower after watching that film. lol
    I liked it alot. It provokes a visceral horror
      May 25, 2017 6:49 PM MDT

I agree totally, Judas Goat!
    I was THE only patron in the big theater at a matinee showing. It added to the creepiness. What a great movie.
      May 25, 2017 7:35 PM MDT

• Ashley Judd played it perfectly; all sweaty and paranoid. She's pretty damn awesome IMO

May 25, 2017 8:28 PM MDT

How I agree!!
    I still think she was robbed of adequate acknowledgment for her work in that movie - - she very much deserved some acting nominations. 
      May 25, 2017 8:32 PM MDT

The Iron Giant.
      May 25, 2017 6:50 PM MDT

• "Duel"  (1971)

May 25, 2017 8:37 PM MDT

kick AS*!!!!

Scary, too!
      May 26, 2017 4:34 PM MDT

• Yes ... for an obviously low budget movie, it was quite good.
      May 26, 2017 7:14 PM MDT