Discussion » Questions » Jobs » Can a person turning 55 find a job being out of work fr 6 years?

Can a person turning 55 find a job being out of work fr 6 years?

Sounds pretty impossible or is it

Posted - July 17, 2016

Responses

• i'm sure it can be done, but i'm also sure it's got it's challenges. i'd research it a lot, start talking to people. it all depends on the market and a persons skills, but let's not forget 'who you know'. yeah, i'd start talking to lots of people.

July 17, 2016 11:18 PM MDT

It really depends on what kind of industry and career you're getting into. It would be tough to find an upper management position or a job where most people would climb the career ladder. But, getting into some kind of consulting and/or freelance work would probably be easier.

July 18, 2016 12:02 AM MDT

I think it will be hard.

July 18, 2016 10:34 AM MDT

I think your only real chance is to get a job where someone knows you, even if it's a low level position.  

I too found myself out of a job after the age of 50 and gave up after 2 years of looking.  I had a good career with excellent references too.

I am lucky that my spouse does not need my income, but it was very hard to adjust after working my whole life.

July 18, 2016 10:43 AM MDT

Oh get out of here with that nonsense.

I am 65.   I have been out of work for a long time for me.  I stayed home and nursed my mother for 5 years.  I am now in school.  I had no money.  They gave me a grant and a loan.    I will be done in less than a year and I will be working and making a good 40 bucks an hour at least.   I got in a situation where I could still get jobs, but I didn't want what was being offered to me.  So I did something about it.

Your age is not the problem.  Your attitude is.   You are what you believe.  I have never EVER had any trouble getting a job.  My success lies in DOING it and not whining that THEY say it isn't possible.   I have also worked a lot of bad jobs.  So what?  It taught me a lot. 

I have had over 300 jobs.  I should know.   I know how to interview and I know how to write  a resume'.  Do you?    I have gotten some of my best jobs through knowing other people and networking.

Get off your butt and go out there.  Spend 25 hours a week searching and contacting jobs.  Don't tell me there are no places to contact either.  That is total baloney and that is just an excuse.  Don't let fear rule your life.   And don't be so picky.  Take anything and go from there.   You can meet people and connect to better jobs from that starting point.

July 18, 2016 10:44 AM MDT

That is inspirational!  

I too ended up in a caretaker role for a few years after I got laid off, so to be fair, I needed to be at home and had the means to do it.

I do think that going back to school is very wise.  I did it in my forties when the industry I was in just vanished and I had to get retrained in something else.  Mind you, I only took some courses to be able to do basic admin work, but it did get my foot in the door.

Good luck with everything.

July 18, 2016 11:19 AM MDT
  • Bez

I wouldn't hold out much hope because I am in that situation myself, I'm 54 and I've been out of work for 8 years this year.

July 18, 2016 11:30 AM MDT
  • Bez

I'm also sure it's got ITS challenges.

July 18, 2016 11:30 AM MDT

• i'm 10 years away from confirming it. each situation is special, but 55 plus special is well... very special.

July 18, 2016 5:06 PM MDT