Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Is your amount of knowledge proportional to your amount of depression?

Is your amount of knowledge proportional to your amount of depression?

I have my bouts,*sigh* :(

Posted - July 13, 2017

Responses

lol I love this question. :)

kind of, most of the time when I'm depressed I don't really feel like learning anything new.. but then again, learning new things in a field or topic I'm really interested in can help make me feel less depresses.. so.. hmm.. kind of an impossible sitaution, I don't know. 
      July 13, 2017 9:53 PM MDT

I hear you.
      July 13, 2017 10:13 PM MDT

• No. I have experienced crushing depression but have little knowledge.
      July 13, 2017 9:55 PM MDT

I'm sorry to hear that.  :-(

I fluctuate between a definition of depression as knowing too much versus misinterpreting what is known. I also see it as anger turned inward. But it's really all so intangible. And the workings of the brain are still so mysterious. There's just no grasping a definitive cause. I hope that advances in medical science will change that one day. 
      July 13, 2017 9:56 PM MDT

You just made me more depressed, *sigh* :(
      July 13, 2017 10:15 PM MDT

Aww.... didn't mean to. I do understand what a frustrating road it is to travel. I sometimes wish my brain would allow me to live in Disneyland all the time but that's not the hand I was dealt.
      July 13, 2017 10:22 PM MDT

.. and as a thinking person you wouldn't want that. Perhaps we can trick our brains into it? Oh! That's why we have drugs/narcotics! The problem is spiritual and in its absence one of the reasons that compels me to acknowledge and glorify the Christian God. There is a spiritual component. This post was edited by O-uknow at July 14, 2017 12:30 AM MDT
      July 13, 2017 10:30 PM MDT

I absolutely respect that and think spirituality can be very important, a belief in something greater than ourselves.  
      July 14, 2017 12:36 AM MDT

Studies have shown that intelligent people are more prone to depression. I suppose it's easier to be happy when you don't realize just how much there is to feel hopeless about. O_o I'm lucky in that I've never been through a situation I couldn't shake off. Sure, I have my moments where I think the world totally sucks, but I can usually see a light at the end of the tunnel or set a goal that helps me get through hardship. At the same time, I also think I'm a moderately intelligent person, so I'm either not as smart as I think I am or I'm far more depressed than I realize. (Oy! No feedback from the peanut gallery, thanks.)
      July 13, 2017 10:48 PM MDT

• Ignorance truly is bliss for many. 
      July 13, 2017 10:55 PM MDT

No.

My depression rears its ugly head due to the amount of doubt and fear I let gain hold on my psyche when I am weak and mentally lazy.

That is not smart at all to my way of thinking.  In order to beat depression or at least acknowledge and accept it as a passing emotion, we need to have energy and vitality and vim and vigor.  In order to keep in shape both mentally and physically we need to work at it.  We need to put effort into taking care of body by exercise and soul and mind by meditation and introspection.

Now that, is smart.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at July 13, 2017 11:23 PM MDT
      July 13, 2017 11:22 PM MDT

Taking care of your body is very important but true clinical depression is not just a passing emotion. That better describes the blues, which most people get from time to time.  
      July 14, 2017 12:45 AM MDT

Spider-Kermit ?
      July 14, 2017 1:50 AM MDT

Nah, when I an depressed it comes from other sources. That is one benefit of atheism, it does not foster crises of faith.

Once upon a time there was a labyrith of mirrors. A young child got lost in it, and could not find the exit.
    Everywhere she looked, there she was, in every mirror she looked at. After a while the magic gardener came flying on his lawnmower, he wanted to help, but there are rules.
    The gardener said to the child: "When you tell me which one is the real you. I will fly you out of the maze on my lawnmower.
    The child answered: "That is easy. This one is (pointing to herself)"
    So the gardener flew her out of the maze and she lived happily (more or less) for the rest of her life This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at July 14, 2017 2:45 AM MDT
      July 14, 2017 1:44 AM MDT

Why can't knowledge help eliminate stress/depression and even help heal a person physically? 
    There are certain things that can be effective -sometimes; but different  'things' may be effective for some and not for others. 
    One's 'invisible force' can be effective when suitably inspired. 
      July 14, 2017 3:01 AM MDT

I believe that clinical depression is a physical condition. It has nothing to do with what you know or what you have. You can be down or sad about things and have the capacity to overcome them. With clinical depression, you can have everything and still feel hopeless.
      July 14, 2017 4:15 AM MDT

its possible, depends on whats going on at the time
      July 14, 2017 4:00 PM MDT

No.
      July 14, 2017 4:12 PM MDT