Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » If you were getting married but had to change your religion would you?

If you were getting married but had to change your religion would you?

Posted - August 4, 2017

Responses

• No.
    I had a friend who did that, he changed his religion and his whole life for a girl he met.
    I was trying to be nice about it so I said in passing that I could use some inspiration too, so inspire me.
    He got a female missionary to phone me, but it didn't work.
    I feel like if someone loves you they'll love you regardless of your religion and if they can't marry you then you don't have to get married I guess?
    Be yourself, that's my opinion.
      August 4, 2017 7:04 PM MDT

I wouldn't. It would end up causing me to resent that person over time. Why did I change for someone who wouldn't have done the same for me or didn't even offer? Eff that. Like truthseeker said, if someone can't marry me because of my own religion then it's clearly not meant to be.
      August 4, 2017 7:12 PM MDT

nope....I didn't and married him anyway.
      August 4, 2017 7:13 PM MDT

I'm an atheist, so I wouldn't really be able to change religions. I'd actually have to develop a belief in a god, and I don't see that happening. Plus, if a person is so religious that I'd have to be the same religion as him, we'd likely never even come close to tying the knot. Too many differences. 
      August 4, 2017 7:24 PM MDT

beyond belief
    beyond your thoughts
    but still there within you
    even if you deny it.

August 4, 2017 10:29 PM MDT

Since I'm an Atheist, could I just pretend to accept their religion?
    Sort of like how I go to church and bible study with my religious friend who desperately wants to "save" me.
      August 4, 2017 7:40 PM MDT

No.  My religion is my soul.  I cannot change TRUTH.  God is God and I cannot change the way I view God.

August 4, 2017 8:05 PM MDT

That's a great way to explain it. Very true.
      August 4, 2017 8:10 PM MDT

I wouldnt marry anyone who wanted to change anything about me.
      August 4, 2017 9:05 PM MDT

Erm.... you told me you'd have that third nipple removed.
      August 4, 2017 9:07 PM MDT

Never. It would clash with my third testicle. ;+
      August 4, 2017 9:10 PM MDT

One should never make a spectacle of their testicle.
      August 4, 2017 9:11 PM MDT

NOT WHEN YOU HAVE ONE OF THESE BABIES! HAHAHHAHAHAHHHAHAHA  

August 4, 2017 9:15 PM MDT

not involved with religion
    and am not getting married...LOL
      August 4, 2017 10:31 PM MDT

I need the answers to about 25 questions in order to answer this.  I can say I wouldn't be opposed  as long as the theology was not offensive to mine.  
      August 4, 2017 10:37 PM MDT

I don't have a religion But I wouldn't change it for someone if I did have one.
    What you see is what you get.
      August 5, 2017 9:17 AM MDT

• I doubt that I would. That said, I don't specifically belong to any religion. I have my own religious beliefs that will never change, but that doesn't mean I couldn't be a member of a specific church. 
      August 5, 2017 10:09 AM MDT

I'm a non-practicing Jew and an atheist, so there would be no religion to change.  The odds of me marrying for the first time at this stage of my life (almost 72) are about the same as my getting pregnant.  I don't believe I could be compatibly married to someone who was so religious they would want me to adopt theirs.
      August 5, 2017 10:46 AM MDT

• No, that's out of the question. If there's compulsion involved, my natural tendency is to oppose it, even within my own religion. I prefer marrying one of my own community. 
      August 6, 2017 2:17 AM MDT

Some people are so stubborn that they wouldn't even change their underwear for a new person/relationship.
    ~
      August 6, 2017 6:53 AM MDT

You tell em lady.   
      August 6, 2017 7:04 AM MDT

• No I wouldn't. Because of the possibility of forth coming volatility, religion is one of the first things that needs to be discussed before the idea of marriage should even be considered. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I was taught that "getting to know" a person first, including religion, was always a good idea. Why do you think so many people get divorced? They have no real clue who the people are they want to marry. No real bond has been made. No real trust has been forged. No mutual respect has been built. No deep abiding and enduring love has been established. 
      August 7, 2017 10:26 PM MDT

If you were getting married but had to change your religion would you?

=====================================================

1- Love, they say, is blind, but I think love is blind and blinding to everything except the wonders, real or imagined, of the beloved.

2- Where there is such love [infatuation?] nothing, religion included, can stop the union of the two whether or not solemnised through marriage.

3- In most such cases the couple have to suffer opposition and even shunning by family members.

4- In Israel such opposition is carried to a new level. The have a dedicated group which strongly disapproves of changing over for marriage and do whatever they can to stop such unions. For them every Jew who stops being a Jew is a betrayer of their fathers who left their lands in Europe and elsewhere and came to Palestine in large numbers to set up a state for Jews.

August 9, 2017 4:08 AM MDT

• Nyet, I most certainly would not embrace any religion for any reason, except its being shown to have strong evidence in its favor. Religion and Politics are quite emotional subjects. I would not be compatible with any man who was so naive that he mindlessly accepted such absurd "govno" as a religion. All too many religious people insist upon forcing their beliefs upon everyone within range, and I would not tolerate that. For a successful relationship, a couple must have a basis in compatibility and also be tolerant of differences they are certain to have. Religious fanatics are quite intolerant. No two people agree on everything totally, so we must be tolerant of minor differences in order to have peaceful contact with others. If a person believes one absurdity, he is likely to believe many more of them. 
      August 12, 2017 6:03 AM MDT