Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » There used to be a TV show long ago titled "Dark Shadows". I never watched but it seemed sinister in name. Did you? Was it a good show?

There used to be a TV show long ago titled "Dark Shadows". I never watched but it seemed sinister in name. Did you? Was it a good show?

Posted - September 10, 2017

Responses

Yes, I watched it. It was campy, but still well done.
      September 10, 2017 7:25 AM MDT

Was it about vampires Rose? Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday! :)
      September 10, 2017 7:57 AM MDT

It was a soap opera that happened to have monsters. Vampires, werewolves, ghosts...
      September 10, 2017 6:24 PM MDT

It wouldn't be my cuppa tea. I never was a fan of vampires. There was a movie out with Tom Cruise about them I believe. I avoided it. There was a woman author who specialized in writing about vampires. She was very popular. I never read any of her books. I like science fiction and fantasy but blood-sucking creatures? Nothing there for me. Thank you for your reply and the info RoseS and Happy Monday! :)
      September 11, 2017 3:06 AM MDT

Tom Cruise film - Interview With A Vampire (based on the books by Anne Rice)
    It did not compare to the books, but then the books were long, tedious, and rife with unnecessary sex scenes.

I don't mind vampires, as long as they don't "sparkle".
      September 11, 2017 8:07 AM MDT

Notice the crew wandering through shots. It was this sort of quality film making that made Dark Shadows a fan favorite. This post was edited by RoseS at September 11, 2017 8:11 AM MDT
      September 11, 2017 8:09 AM MDT

My sister used to watch it, it was very popular and I think it was an afternoon soap opera about Barnabus Collins, a vampire.
      September 10, 2017 7:38 AM MDT

I loved the show. I still do when I see a rerun every now and then.
    RoseS summed it up well to me.
    Truly some scary moments, too. Offhand, I remember vampires, werewolves, time travel, and ghosts all making appearances at some point.

From what I've read, it first started out as a gothic-type soap opera. It didn't really start to take off, though, until actor Jonathan Frid's "Barnabas Collins" appeared on the show. Personally, I liked the early episodes the best --  mainly because they focused on my favorite character "Victoria Winters," (played by Alexandra Moltke) a governess hired for young "David Collins" who didn't get along with his dad "Edward Collins."

(Sort of interesting, Moltke in real life was for awhile the mistress to infamous-to-me Claus von Bulow -- who was accused of killing his wife. Personally, from what I read, I think he did cause her death but he eventually got cleared of charges with the help of a smart famous lawyer. [I forget the lawyer's name but he's famous]. And I believe the movie "To Die For" is based on the von Bulow murder case.)
    This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at September 11, 2017 3:07 AM MDT
      September 10, 2017 5:49 PM MDT

Hi there WQ. Thank you for your very informative reply. Though I am a fan of science fiction and fantasy I never warmed up to vampires. Blood-sucking creatures aren't appealing to me on any level. Different strokes. Happy Monday to you m'dear! :)
      September 11, 2017 3:08 AM MDT