Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Why is New York, Massachusetts and California Liberal while the south and heartland are Conservative? There must be a reason, right?

Why is New York, Massachusetts and California Liberal while the south and heartland are Conservative? There must be a reason, right?

Posted - November 5, 2017

Responses

The south used to be Democrats. (Jimmy Carter) 
      November 5, 2017 9:57 AM MST

I know. They bolted to the Republican Party because of the Civil Rights laws . They knew they'd be welcome there. That doesn't answer my question  bh. WHY is New York, California and  Massacusetts  and HAWAII too all blue? Hawaii is even more liberal than California methinks. Why?
      November 5, 2017 10:05 AM MST

Just like Hillary's mentor....Robert Byrd? 
      November 5, 2017 3:52 PM MST

• I hate to burst your bubble. As a native southerner who actually lived it, I'm in a much better position to address it. You can't really be blamed as many who live outside the south, view everything in terms of the civil rights struggles of the 60's. The truth is really uncomplicated. When the Democrats joined the lunatic fringe in every issue from the local arena to the beltway, we abandoned ship and it has been our salvation in every area of political life.
      November 5, 2017 4:53 PM MST

Except that the Civil Rights and Voting Rights Acts could not have passed Congress without some Republican support. The fact is that Republicans in the House voted 138-34 and those in the Senate voted 27-6 in favor of the House version of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and those in the House voted 136-35 in favor of the Senate version.

Republicans in the House voted 112-24 to pass the Voting Rights Act of 1965, and those in the Senate voted 30-2 in favor. The only two nay votes came from the south.

You would do well to do a bit of simple research - Google is your friend - before spouting off about Republicans being against civil rights laws. It simply wasn't true.
      November 6, 2017 11:56 AM MST

Bible Belt.
      November 5, 2017 10:09 AM MST

I'm no biblical scholar, but it would seem to me that if Jesus was alive today, he'd be a Liberal.
      November 5, 2017 10:35 AM MST

Maybe a liberal, but not a loony leftist. 
      November 5, 2017 2:58 PM MST

You believe Jesus would support abortion?
    Jesus would not support Biblical marriage?
    Jesus would support removing the mention of His Father's name from the public square, support the party that voted to remove God from their platform?
    Jesus would support legalization of drugs?
    Jesus would support wanting to tax the church?
    Jesus would support the government taking care of the poor....instead of the people and the church taking care of the poor?

I don't think so.
      November 5, 2017 3:50 PM MST

Jesus was in the Tea Party.
      November 5, 2017 7:39 PM MST

????
    There was no Tea Party that I know of in the Bible....
      November 5, 2017 8:01 PM MST

Sorry, my attempt at humor. But, like the Tea Party, Jesus didn't want the government taking care of us from cradle to grave.
      November 6, 2017 5:53 AM MST

My bad....it did not realize you were being funny. Sometimes hard to determine with only text.
      November 6, 2017 5:58 AM MST

Even Johnny Carson flops once in awhile.
      November 6, 2017 10:43 AM MST

Actually, he was in my party - Judaism. He was a rabbi. The last supper was a Passover Seder.
      November 6, 2017 9:03 AM MST

As a general rule urban areas are usually more liberal than rural areas.

But how does Dallas, Texas fit in that ? ;-))
      November 5, 2017 4:21 PM MST

It doesn't. JFK was killed there because he was too liberal for their taste. And he wasn't even very liberal.
      November 6, 2017 9:05 AM MST

probably, not sure what it is though
      November 5, 2017 4:31 PM MST

In Massachusetts I see it as more than one thing.  You have big labor which is very powerful there which was traditionally supported by the Democratic party.  Plus a lot of affluent people in Eastern MA who believe strongly in doing good to those less fortunate who view the government as a kind of charitable organization. 
      November 6, 2017 6:46 AM MST

You left out Hawaii, Oregon and Washington in the west and Connecticut, Delaware (home of Joe Biden), Maine, Maryland, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Pennsylvania (esp. the Philadelphia and Pittsburgh areas), Rhode Island, and Vermont in the east. And the question has multiple subjects, so you mean to say "Why are..." not "Why is..." This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at November 6, 2017 9:16 AM MST
      November 6, 2017 9:15 AM MST

• New York State isn't really all that liberal on anything other than over regulating and taxing.  The people in Albany aren't all that open to new ideas or any progressive plans.  They are only Democrats in as much as they want to dictate peoples lives and tax the hell out of them.  It's like the worst of both political spheres here mashed into one.
      November 6, 2017 12:17 PM MST