Discussion » Questions » Legal » Are prison guards hateful people towards inmates?

Are prison guards hateful people towards inmates?

Posted - March 24, 2018

Responses

I wouldn't know
      March 24, 2018 4:44 PM MDT

Nicer when paid. How else prisoners get cell phones and narcotics?
      March 24, 2018 6:01 PM MDT

Generally, not in the U.S.
      March 24, 2018 6:56 PM MDT

I'm sure they have an attitude a lot of the time. 

But human nature is what causes people to be nice or not.  If you have a good character and are a good person, you have a better chance being one no matter what you do?  But if anything can change a person, I think it would be a job like that.  I COULD NOT DO IT.  That's all I gotta say now.

Icky.

March 24, 2018 9:53 PM MDT

They’re human. Some are. Some are not. I know several COs and not a one of them hates the inmates.
      March 25, 2018 1:39 PM MDT

I know a couple. They are profession with the inmates. They said you can not be too friendly or the will try and take advantage or make you feel sorry for them. Some will try talk you into doing things you should not for them. 

The lady did say it was a good job to have when you are in a bad mood. "You are allowed to be a ***** and still get paid for it and nobody cares."
      March 25, 2018 1:45 PM MDT

• I am led to believe guards are not employed as greeters, waiters/waitresses, pillow-fluffers, etc. 
      March 27, 2018 4:12 PM MDT

My husband worked for the state of California as an instructor at the local state prison. This particular institution is notorious for the prevalent corruption its employees engage in. He always said the problem were the officers and not so much the inmates.
      April 4, 2018 12:10 AM MDT

Hi Autumn,

I read this hoping that you had good news and that you had some experiences with guards being decent.  I know there must be some, indeed, I am sure your husband is a good man.   But, I am saddened to hear that your husband has had some experiences that I hear about a lot.  I like to keep an open mind.  I have met so many good people in the oddest of places, but prison and being around all that corruption?  We need people of high integrity.  Unfortunately, it is very hard to remain in that state when you see so much of the other type of character in your co-workers.

Good for your husband for knowing the difference. 
      April 4, 2018 12:19 AM MDT

I didn't mean to imply everyone at this institution is corrupt. Even though most aren't bad influences, many are. It's sad that these give a bad name to the honest and decent ones. In this small community i live in, many work at this local prison. I know them personally. Some of these have been my neighbors for years. Sexual immorality is rampant there at this prison among the employees. It is a common fact for many of these correctional officers who by the way profess to be Christian, for them to betray the innocent spouse with a female employee who also happens to be married. Common behavior, which has now become acceptable everywhere. (2timothy 3:5)
    These officers are told they are role models not just at the prison, but also in the community. They are held to higher standards and they're supposed to be examples to the inmates as well as everyone around them. This post was edited by Autumnleaves at April 4, 2018 10:21 PM MDT
      April 4, 2018 10:15 PM MDT