Active Now

Spunky
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Even the good guy Jimmy Carter, what ever atrocious thing did he do to become the President?

Even the good guy Jimmy Carter, what ever atrocious thing did he do to become the President?

Posted - April 10, 2018

Responses

• After Watergate, the Nixon resignation and the Ford pardon, the Democrats could have elected a dead man in 1976. They almost did with the mediocre Carter. I like your assessment of the vindictive and petulant Carter as "the good guy". 
      April 10, 2018 9:52 AM MDT

Nothing.

Nothing is the best thing any politician can do, and in most cases they should have done it a lot sooner.
      April 10, 2018 5:23 PM MDT

• I think youre right. I'm a tenderfoot in real politics and seems to want to stir contention for satisfaction. I really like Carter period.
      April 11, 2018 11:31 AM MDT

He didn't do anything atrocious, which is what makes him one of the best IMO. 

Also, he did these great things while president:

Reduced nuclear weapons

Created depts. of energy, education

Brokered Israel-Egypt Peace Treaty

put solar panels in White House

granted amnesty to those who fled the US to avoid Vietnam (aka draft dodgers)

deregulated many industries (airlines and beer, among them)

called for decriminalization of marijuana (IN 1979!)

He's absolute aces in my book. The complete and total opposite of that thing that occupies the White House currently. He is a shining example of a human. 

April 10, 2018 7:14 PM MDT

Carter was an inept fool.  I'd love to see Dep't of Ed & Energy dropped & his pardoning of draft dodgers was pathetic.  He was far better as an ex President with Habitat for Humanity.  The only President we've had who was worse was Obama.
      April 10, 2018 8:24 PM MDT

He was nuts?
    A peanut farmer ;) This post was edited by O-uknow at April 10, 2018 8:50 PM MDT
      April 10, 2018 8:49 PM MDT

He's been out of office for years so it no longer matters to me what he did or didn't do. :)
      April 16, 2018 1:22 PM MDT