Active Now

WelbyQuentin
Discussion » Questions » Pregnancy » Do surrogate mothers develop a strong emotional attachment for the child they carry?

Do surrogate mothers develop a strong emotional attachment for the child they carry?

If you have personal experience of this either as a surrogate or as the woman whose child was carried by a surrogate, would you please share it?

Posted - August 24, 2016

Responses

No way not to

August 24, 2016 9:48 AM MDT

Good agencies screen people really well and the women have to have a mental health evaluation to make sure they're going to be emotionally prepared to give the baby to the intended parents. Yes, some do form bonds and refuse to give up babies, but most of the gestational surrogates today go into it with the mindset "This isn't my baby," and so giving it up isn't hard- they can see the looks on the faces of the intended parents at prenatal appointments and during the delivery. The parents are involved in every step, so it's not like you spend nine months growing a baby alone- there are other people involved the whole time and that is a constant reminder to the surrogate of the generous thing she's doing. I have heard it described as feeling more like an aunt than a mother during surrogacy. 

To be clear, I am speaking of local surrogacy in the US. There are international surrogacy agencies where the surrogate may never meet the intended parents. I'd imagine that's much harder. International surrogacy has many flaws. I don't put it on par with US surrogacy at all. 

August 24, 2016 9:56 AM MDT

Some do, others do not.
      ~

January 2, 2023 9:50 PM MST