Active Now

Thebigd
Element 99
Malizz
Swoop62
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » Will you please recommend a good book to read? Words can be very entertaining!

Will you please recommend a good book to read? Words can be very entertaining!

Posted - March 26, 2020

Responses

• Anything by Haruki Murakami. Right now I'm reading "1Q84". Also good are "Kafka on the Shore" and "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle". 
      March 26, 2020 4:57 PM MDT

Those sound interesting Nevan.  I've haven't heard of Haruki Murakami.  I will definitely add these to my list.
    Thanks Nevan B.
    Happy and Healthy Thoughts and Vibes!
    :) :)
      March 30, 2020 10:29 AM MDT

This is one of my favourites:

March 26, 2020 5:08 PM MDT

I'm writing it down for my list of must buys.
    I'd love to be more up to date.

I was flabbergasted and dismayed when I discovered from a science teacher
    that the school syllabus deliberately doesn't teach physics as it is,
    because it considers kids incapable of comprehending the depth and complexity of it.
    The teacher, a friend, said the schools teach only a version so oversimplified that it distorts the reality.
      March 27, 2020 7:16 PM MDT

Don't buy it. It is a giant book of charts, graphs, formulae, tables and lists etc. I used it in my classes. I  have a 1917 edition. It is the size of a paperback novel. I actually used one of the charts for an experiment I taught. The chart wasn't in my newer version.
      March 27, 2020 7:56 PM MDT

Forewarned is saved. Thank you.
    Guess I'll have to look elsewhere for getting up to date.
      March 28, 2020 4:29 AM MDT

What????

This totally distorts my reality and understanding of the world and the universe as we know it, today!

Yes, it is ever changing but COME ONN!  Let's give the kids the benefit of the doubt.
    Besides, I didn't have Element as my teacher and I struggled for my grades in those classes.
    I expect some of the kids, now-a-days, to have the same stuggle.
    Big winks and smiles.
    Come to think of it, kids these days are probably smarter going into classes such as these.
    They are more exposed to ideas and certainly technology that will allow more in-depth studies.
    That is simply asinine.
    Whose idea was that????
    They should be locked in a room full of teenagers full of questions until they realize kids are more curious and smarter than most adults give them credit for.
    They do have an interest or some of them I am sure of it.
    Look at Element!!  He's a perfect example!!

Thanks bookworm. 
    :):)

March 30, 2020 10:15 AM MDT

I'm sure this is a page-turner, Element.
    I can't guarantee is will go on the list attached to the fridge but I will keep this question and refer back to it after I'm done with some of the others.
    Thanks for wanting to keep me updated in the real world and not relying so much on magic.
    You're awesome.  
    Love Ya!!
      March 30, 2020 10:27 AM MDT

The short story "A Small Good Thing" by Raymond Carver

(unfortunately, I've read two different versions - - I think both were fine with Carver, he wrote two versions with different endings, I believe, from what I remember, but I like one of them much better; yet, both are great)
      March 26, 2020 6:23 PM MDT

I'm writing it down right now and posting it on the fridge. 
    All important and good items go on the fridge so they don't get caught up in the mess on the floor and counters!
    Thanks Welby!  You're awesome! :) :) 
      March 30, 2020 10:18 AM MDT

Here is a link to the entire story. This is the version I prefer - - but I really like both.

This story literally took my breath away, Merlin. This man has a hold of my soul, as does Shirley Jackson and Flannery O'Connor. Anything, by any of them, takes a hold of me and I can't get away from them, I am drawn to listen and absorb and they enhance me.

I hope "A Small Good Thing" posts here. :) 

wait - - I only copied the link to where I found the story. I'll post this link to the story and then try to post the story itself maybe.

https://creativewriting.qwriting.qc.cuny.edu/files/2012/01/46_2006_carver.pdf

EDIT: I'm not going to try to post the story itself, it'd take up a lot of room -  - it's about 13 pages long.
    In case the link does not work, or you don't want to click on the link - -

without PLOT SPOILERS - - if you read the story and it leaves you sort of hanging there -- that's one version
     if you read the story and it leaves you sort of sighing, a sense of 'yeah there is some closure here' with a sense of wanting to hug the characters - that's the version that is making me weepy-eyed just thinking about it.

I really hope you find this story and  read it. Based on our conversations, I can almost guarantee you will fall in love with this story, perhaps even more than I love it.  :)

I hope this made sense.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 6, 2020 7:27 AM MDT
      March 30, 2020 1:17 PM MDT

Happy Goosebumps!  I actually DO have the desire and, surprisingly, a moment right now to click on the link.
    If this story moved you as you say, I am interested.

Even though it was a few days ago, I would like to go back and make sure I've responded to all the peeps that answered my questions, first.
    I like to do that BUT, I will create an hour today, right after, and click the link.
    You are very thoughtful and considerate.
    As Always, Welby,  Be Happy, Healthy, and Safe.
    Sneak a smile and giggle in along the way.  It works wonders for your health, too!
    Big Winks and Smiles and Always Happy! Happy! to you!!
      March 31, 2020 10:37 AM MDT

It's all good -- do what makes you feel the best. I try to respond to people who respond to my questions, too. The story will be here. I might read it again, even. 
    :)

EDIT: Thanks for the reminders about laughing and smiling - - I'm pretty hard on myself at times.  :) But I'm doing pretty well, actually. :)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 6, 2020 7:27 AM MDT
      March 31, 2020 11:30 AM MDT

You being well will make me smile all day!
    internet hugs and always loves!!
    :) :) :) :)!!
      March 31, 2020 11:49 AM MDT

Thanks, Merlin.Yes, I can use all the well wishes -- always open to receiving those!
      March 31, 2020 11:52 AM MDT

:) :)!!
      April 1, 2020 10:45 AM MDT

Good Morning Welby~
    Moments ago I finished the story.
    It takes you on a bit of a ride and definitely I am teary-eyed.
    You were right.  
    I loved it.
    You have great taste in books.  Why don't we sit down over some hot rolls and we can talk about books and our lives and how people come in and out of them from time to time? 
    I absolutely loved it!

This post was edited by Merlin at May 6, 2020 7:27 AM MDT
      April 1, 2020 10:42 AM MDT

All I can say at the moment, Merlin, is you just made my day WAY better -- and it was going pretty well to begin with!

I am so glad and honored you read it!

Yes, exactly - - the ride this story took you and me on  -- and that ending!! :) :) So poignant for me.

I could go on and on -- and, yes, with some hot rolls -- ;)

And -- no surprise -- I recommend anything by Raymond Carver -- everything I've read by him is worth my ride time.
    But this "A Small Good Thing" is by far my favorite.

I am truly so happy that you read it. Thank you! And even happier that you loved it, too!
      April 1, 2020 4:52 PM MDT

Hi~ I like the way you tied in and wrote "ride time."
    You have incredible talent Welby.  Your creative juices are peaked by your ear in music, your preception in words, and your translations.  You are able to express what you feel through words and music.
    You are very gifted and may help society on a bigger level than just answerMug with your talents.
    Don't delay.  Take action and start using these!  I don't know how yet but I know I can help you.
    I can't say just internet hugs.  Big soul hugs and loves.
    Be Safe. .. but not with your talent.  Be Healthy, inside and out, but most of all, be Happy with yourself and know you are worth it.
    Love Your forever friend,
    Merlin
    :) :) This post was edited by Merlin at May 6, 2020 7:27 AM MDT
      April 2, 2020 1:05 PM MDT

Thank you so much, Merlin. Truly. :)

I can fill you in on some more detail if you wish in a personal message, if you accept those. But, yes, in general, I have "helped" society with my "talents"  (not just here on the site) in words, dance, education and music.
    ;)

And I used quotation marks up there to give credit to your words that you used in your comment to me. :)
      April 3, 2020 6:59 AM MDT

I didn't forget... I just got ahead of myself... 
    Happy and Healthy Thoughts and Vibes to you dear Welby!!
    ;) :)!! This post was edited by Merlin at March 30, 2020 4:27 PM MDT
      March 30, 2020 10:23 AM MDT

And all of the same to you!

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 6, 2020 7:28 AM MDT
      March 31, 2020 11:33 AM MDT

I usually stick o the same authors who write mysteries and military fiction, but not long ago, I read a book called A Man Called Ove  by Frederik Backman, which was also fiction, but a story that was a very interesting character study.  It lacks violence and profanity, is life-affirming and relationship-driven. The book is bittersweet, tender, often wickedly humorous.  The last two sentences is a review of the book by a critic.
      March 26, 2020 6:59 PM MDT

Very cool SpunkySenior!  I'm starting a list and putting it on the fridge. I put Welby's story up there and yours will follow.
    It sounds like a book right up my alley.  I LOVE fictious mysteries.
    Thank you SpunkySenior.
    Happy and Healthy Thoughts and Vibes to you!
    See you soon!
      March 30, 2020 10:22 AM MDT