Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Life-Changing Question 1: When liquid forms at the top of the sour cream, do you pour it off or mix it in?

Life-Changing Question 1: When liquid forms at the top of the sour cream, do you pour it off or mix it in?

Posted - August 16, 2020

Responses

Thank you, I’ll take it.

Just like you have a thing about not eating things that make you worry about whether or not they’re spoiled, I have a thing about not throwing away unspoiled food. 

~

August 17, 2020 6:23 PM MDT

And your opinion of Trump is that he is good for the country.

If the product looks like the picture that Element 99 posted above, yes it's gone bad. 

Otherwise that floating liquid is actually good for you because it's rich in calcium and protein. 

Otherwise, Whey (that floating liquid) is nothing to be scared of, and it's actually good for you because it's rich in calcium and protein.

What happens is that whey is naturally present in milk, but when the milk is turned into sour cream or yogurt, that whey is held in suspension within the milk's cell walls. Simply dipping a chip or spoon into the cream breaks those cell walls, which allows the whey leak out. 

The solution? Just stir it back into your sour cream and you're good to go — but first, check to make sure your sour cream hasn't started to go bad.

So some liquid on top of your sour cream is totally normal, but you should still check to make sure that the sour cream hasn't actually gone bad. Pay attention to the expiration date printed on the container, but use your nose too. A tangy odor is what you want, but a pungent odor that reminds you of sour milk is not a good sign. The whey should also look watery, but if it's chunky, that could also be a sign that it's curdled and should get chucked into the garbage. 

Read More:  https://www.mashed.com/176429/why-does-sour-cream-get-watery/

(Edit: removed duplicate URL)

This post was edited by tom jackson at August 18, 2020 9:35 AM MDT
      August 18, 2020 9:33 AM MDT

Not necessarily. Curds and whey will separate naturally, due to different densities. Un-homogenised milk will do the same, which is why cream floats to the top. Gravity does that, not bacteria.
      August 17, 2020 5:31 PM MDT

That’s right, many beverages separate also, it’s part of the reason they have to be shaken prior to use, and that includes subsequent uses after they have been opened for the first time, such as when they’ve been stored/refrigerated over time.
      I wonder why it seems so simple to us but not to everyone?  (Shrug.)

~

August 17, 2020 5:35 PM MDT

I do not eat any dairy product that has separated from it purchased form.  
    I do not eat cottage cheese etc. It tastes like spoiled milk. 
      August 17, 2020 6:04 PM MDT

Did you know that from the exact second that you open a homogenized/pasteurized container of milk, as soon as air hits it, it immediately begins to spoil?  Seconds, not minutes, not hours, not days. 

The same is true for many other food products, both dairy and non-dairy, such as meats, produce (fruits, vegetables), grains, baked goods, condiments, garnishes, spices.

Bon apetit!

~

August 17, 2020 6:18 PM MDT

I do know that. I put ice in my milk. And if I do not drink it all within 5 mins, I will not finish it because I can taste that it is begining to spoil. (Of course, it will not hurt you and is not what most people would call spoiled.  I just do not like the taste at that point) A gallon of milk lasts 1 day in my house. So there is no worry of spoiling after opening in the fridge. 
    Of course, everything begins to spoil as soon as it is opened or exposed to incorrect temps. But for me, dairy products are the type which I taste it very quickly. Sometimes milk just bought already has that spoiled taste. 
    I was "spoiled" growing up. We bought milk from a local dairy store which had their own milk amd they freezers were kept as cold as possible without causing it to freeze. It came in the glass bottles. Best stuff ever. 
    When I moved away it was years before I adjusted to grocery store milk. It tasted spoiled as soon as you got it home. The grocery stores do not keep their freezers as cold. 
      August 17, 2020 8:26 PM MDT

The physical act of putting a spoon in sour cream is a sufficient cause of the cell walls of the product mechanically breaking down and releasing the whey.

August 18, 2020 9:48 AM MDT

Personally, I don't like Green Eggs & Ham
      August 18, 2020 9:36 AM MDT

It is not spoilt. As noted above, it is whey...the protein part of the sour cream. It is good for you.
      August 18, 2020 8:18 AM MDT

It is spoiled...you can taste it.     I do not eat anything that smells or tastes spoiled.  Just because you can mix it back in a the rest of the product hides it, does not change what it is. 
      August 18, 2020 8:59 AM MDT

If you are saying that a given serving of a milk derived product product (which will contain whey) reaches a point where you no longer enjoy (tolerate?) its taste, and therefore consider it spoiled (dangerous for humans to drink) and therefore choose to throw it away---fine.

If you are suggesting that those of us who understand the science behind dairy products and educate ourselves as to whether we can safely eat the same products that you consider spoiled are stupid to eat them after evaluating them properly along the guidelines widely available, then you have insulted every one of us who choose to consume the product anyway.

And this is part of your "fluff" that indicates what you really think about the rest of us who may not automatically agree with your opinions.

August 18, 2020 10:21 AM MDT

Feel free re-read everything I have posted. I have explained it quite well.  

I have insulted no one. I have only discuss the topic. 
      August 18, 2020 11:05 AM MDT

I have explained it quite well = your opinion--- which on this site is required to be treated as if it were reflective of reality, even if it isn't.

What more can I say?...

August 19, 2020 12:37 PM MDT

Why do you care so much?  Randy already gets the stuff I am going to throw out.

I have in fact answered your questions above in responses to others. (Just my last two posts directly above)

Of course this is an example of the "fluff" that really does not matter in the whole scheme of life.
      August 19, 2020 1:54 PM MDT

Randy may collect the things that simply have no value.

I'm  the hazmat guy---my job is to properly address the stuff that might adversely affect others if it is ingested without implementing a proper protocol---whenever and wherever I am when I become convinced of such a need.

And you still consider to use "fluff" to refer to that inner core of all human beings which in reality incontrovertibly reveal the individuals personal value system---which inevitably drives his decisions.

What you call "fluff" is the seat of the last judgment of the practical intellect before one acts (conscience).  The bent values there such as those Trump has ensure eventual personal disaster for him and those around him. 

With Trump, for instance, one can easily infer his family values, e.g., divorces---no loyalty to wives, only to himself; separation of immigrant parents from their children---no understanding of the importance of families to society; constant lying and gaslighting (Gaslighting is a tactic in which a person or entity, in order to gain more power, makes a victim question their reality. It works much better than you may think--Psychology Today)---no respect for the truth and less respect for individual persons.

I doubt he would have absolutely no use for women if they didn't come with that "handle" he grabs them by.

August 19, 2020 3:40 PM MDT

Again FLUFF is my word.  You do not get to redefine it for me.  FLUFF is the stuff that does not matter.  Politically
    what a politician does in their personal life does not effect the laws passed or not passed. 

As I have explained before: which matters?  Clinton's affair with Monica or the NAFTA trade deal he signed that sent good American jobs overseas.   The affair is fluff.  NAFTA is what mattered. (Among other laws and EOs of course)
      August 19, 2020 3:47 PM MDT

I'm aware that you associate some of your conclusions with some of your beliefs on various things---is that your definition of "I have explained before."

(To "explain" something is to make it understandable or intelligible.)

The word "fluff" is identified by the letters used in its spelling (writing) or by its sound (verbally)---not by whether those letters are capitalized or written in  lowercase.

"Fluff" has been around for over 200 years, it's not your word---and it already had a definition.

And what you call "fluff" is just your opinion of the importance of those maters to you.

So to be fair, why not ask Monica if she had a different opinion?
      August 20, 2020 9:59 AM MDT

Your right it does have a meaning.:

Definition of fluff

(Entry 1 of 2)

something fluffy dandelion fluff

: something inconsequential

BLUNDER especially an actor's lapse of memory

I use it as #3. 

August 20, 2020 10:13 AM MDT

When you get past the a first definition in a dictionary, you are just trying to justify your use of the word---nothing original about that.

And just because you have a personal category called "fluff," doesn't mean that the things you put in that category are in fact "inconsequential"

Those of us who disagree with your particular bifurcation of meanings were not at all surprised when Obama observed the following about Trump.

And that's because Trump's activity that you categorize as inconsequential gives great insight into why he makes the decisions that he does and which you categorize as "what matters."

Divorces, affairs, gaslighting, lying---he displayed all the philosophical and moral dis-values in his personal life that he evidences in what you say "matters."

“He (Trump has) shown no interest in putting in the work; no interest in finding common ground; no interest in using the awesome power of his office to help anyone but himself and his friends; no interest in treating the presidency as anything but one more reality show that he can use to get the attention he craves."

Yep, it's all there in that activity you call "fluff"

I've never been asked to go on a snipe hunt.

How about you?
      August 20, 2020 1:06 PM MDT

Yes, what a politician does in their person life is fluff politically.  Trump/Clinton etc affairs have nothing to do with policy.  Neither one of them abandoned the policies they each claimed to support. Despite proving themselves to be untrustworthy in their personal lives.  So other than to their wives/kids, it is just a footnote of interest but nothing else. 

August 20, 2020 1:36 PM MDT

Politics is the set of activities that are associated with making decisions in groups, or other forms of power relations between individuals, such as the distribution of resources or status.

And you actually really think that decision making is not influenced by those personal beliefs immortalized in what you call "fluff?"

August 20, 2020 1:46 PM MDT

Politics is the government and the laws that are passed or not passed. Supported/opposed. 

Again the two politicians who we all know are/were playboys. Untrustworthy in personal life. 

But it did not effect their political (governmental) policy commitments.   
      August 20, 2020 1:58 PM MDT

Well, Just Asking, you’re the one who posted the question, are you happy now?

LOL!

August 20, 2020 2:43 PM MDT

I'm about to lose my mind because I had 67 notifications (no way I can keep track of that) and over half were from this FREAKING post! 

My exact thought was "HOW THE F... ARE THEY STILL ARGUING ABOUT SOUR CREAM? THIS IS MADNESS!!"

So, so funny!
      August 20, 2020 6:04 PM MDT