Discussion » Questions » Politics » Who would vote for 700 miles of double layered fencing lined with other physical barriers along the Mexico-United States border? Trump?

Who would vote for 700 miles of double layered fencing lined with other physical barriers along the Mexico-United States border? Trump?

No. Hillary voted for that.  But building a wall along the border is stupid?

Posted - October 24, 2016

Responses

Don't know/don't care.

The far more effective 'wall' needn't be one made of steel, brick and mortar.  Let the several states decide how many immigrants they wish to take in, and pass laws which require all recipients of social services (e.g., education, healthcare and other forms of 'welfare') to demonstrate citizenship status.

Wanna stem immigration? Sour the milk.

...Oh, and END the asinine/tyrannical war on drugs (a/k/a human rights).

October 24, 2016 1:23 PM MDT

How do you COMPARE 700 miles of anything to a WALL designed to keep people out?

This is apples and oranges.  If they had a double layered fence, it serves as a marker where one place ends and another begins.  It should serve as a FENCE serves.   Keep out can be posted on it or not.   It is a structure designed to mark property, where one ends and another begins which is all any border marker can ever hope for or need to hope for.   What do you think we should do, maybe put machine guns with men behind them every yard?   Maybe that would satisfy the need for more jobs and cull the herd of rapists and thieves at the same time.

It is hardly the same thing as spending billions of dollars on a wall that could never be built and never would work to keep out anything.

October 24, 2016 1:29 PM MDT

It is almost exactly that as between the large fence is room for a vehicle and also was the idea of armed guards patrolling this fence along with cameras and drones.
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/109th-congress/house-bill/6061/text
    That is the exact bill that hillary voted for.  What is the difference between that and the "wall"?  Just that the word wall was used? The fence proposed was not to mark the border but to defend it.  The bill makes it very clear that the intent is to build a structure to stop illegal immigrants.  Hillary voted for it.
      October 24, 2016 2:48 PM MDT

It is about 10 billion dollars LESS than exactly and actually could have been built.   It was not some pie in the sky fairytale that had no chance of ever coming to fruition.  I have no concerns at all about border containment.   I have concerns about name-calling and accusatory blaming that has nothing to do with Mexico.   Hillary did NOT do that.  Trump has been doing it for 2 years.

IF keeping out illegals  had served some purpose other than calling Mexicans rapists and thieves which I am sure she did NOT vote for.....  I am sure it was to actually keep the border contained a bit more than it currently is.  But it did NOT get built, so there is a lot more to this story than what you are coming across with.  So she voted for a fence, so WHAT? This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 24, 2016 2:56 PM MDT
      October 24, 2016 2:53 PM MDT

Here's what I have found about why it was not built:

The first blow against the promised fence was made by Kay Bailey Hutchison, Republican Senator from Texas, at the urging of DHS she proposed an amendment to give the Department discretion to decide what type of fence was appropriate in different areas.
    Hutchison’s  amendment was included in a federal budget bill in late 2007 despite the fact that Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y., had a cow…he argued the amendment effectively killed the border fence promised in the 2006 bill, he was right.

When Janet Napolitano became Obama’s first DHS she took advantage of Ms.  Hutchison’s 2007 amendment, instead of building a fence which look something like the diagram above, she built a border “fence” that looked mostly like the picture above.

Without including the pictures I can say that the fence in the diagram is the two layer fence with barb wire and room for a car to drive between and the fence in the picture is more like a park bench turned on its side.

For what it is worth I think the original wall/fence was a good idea and hillary was right to vote for it but it is dumb now how such an idea must be ridiculed because it is a trump idea.  It is not even an original idea.
      October 24, 2016 4:45 PM MDT

Yep she did and said it was for all the same reasons Trump says we need the wall. 

I posted a question about this awhile back. No seemed to get that Hillary was calling for the same thing. 
      October 24, 2016 3:32 PM MDT

I REPEAT:

It is about 10 billion dollars LESS than exactly and actually could have been built. It was not some pie in the sky fairytale that had no chance of ever coming to fruition. I have no concerns at all about border containment. I have concerns about name-calling and accusatory blaming that has nothing to do with Mexico. Hillary did NOT do that. Trump has been doing it for 2 years.

IF keeping out illegals had served some purpose other than calling Mexicans rapists and thieves which I am sure she did NOT vote for..... I am sure it was to actually keep the border contained a bit more than it currently is. But it did NOT get built, so there is a lot more to this story than what you are coming across with. So she voted for a fence, so WHAT?
      October 24, 2016 3:36 PM MDT