Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Politics » What do you think of when you hear Soros funded this, or Soros backed that??

What do you think of when you hear Soros funded this, or Soros backed that??

Hello:

Me???  I think of Soros as a Holocaust survivor.  I believe, however, right wingers equate him to unsavory Jewishness and the monied elite.

excon

Posted - March 31, 2023

Responses

I think the same thing as if I would hear “Koch Brothers funded this.” or “Koch Brothers funded that.”, which is people with too much money funding a politician or district attorney because they want something from them once they’re elected.  It’s an automatic red flag for me on Election Day.  If they’re taking a lot of money from George Soros, the Koch Brothers or any other wealthy elitist, I’ll vote for one of the other candidates.

This post was edited by Livvie at April 3, 2023 5:11 AM MDT
      March 31, 2023 12:29 PM MDT

I agree with you.  People who claim Soros is funding this or that don't like it because he isn't backing policies they back.  And, yes, there is an anti-semitic aroma, too. This post was edited by Spunky at March 31, 2023 5:56 PM MDT
      March 31, 2023 2:14 PM MDT

Especially when you think of antisemitic tropes like Jews controlling banks or money or the media, ideas used by Hitler as justification for persecuting us.

As an aside, it took some time and effort to convince JA and the mods on AM to recognize posts expressing such ideas as offensive.
      March 31, 2023 6:01 PM MDT

I think he has a very warped sense of priorities. It's maddening to think of all the beneficial things I could do if I had his money - provide everyone in Africa with clean water, fund libraries, women's refuges, sports clubs and leisure facilities in deprived areas, clean up the Bhopal disaster. Instead he only spends it on political stuff. 
      April 2, 2023 12:29 AM MDT

Do you know for a fact everything he spends on or donates for? If so, how do you know?
      April 2, 2023 6:00 AM MDT

I can't prove that he never donates to philanthropic causes, but I don't think he funds them lavishly. Or if he does, he keeps very quiet about it. He is only really known for funding pressure groups and think tanks. And there is quite a long list:

List of projects supported by George Soros - Wikipedia

April 2, 2023 10:38 AM MDT

Hello Rev:

It's a dog whistle..  Blown, NOT to point out his political donations, but to point out he's a hated Jewish banker..

excon
      April 2, 2023 11:29 AM MDT

I think the crime in the city is going up. Because it is...look at AG Bragg, or the St Louis AG, or Chicago or San Diego....all victims of AGs refusing to enforce laws. Passing no bail rules, while throwing the book at people for simply defending themselves.   
    We are actively trying to remove the St Louis AG from her post. 

As far as Soros personally, I do not know him. But I know he supports financially positions that I do not agree with. My opinion of him has nothing to do with his Jewish heritage. I 

do not agree with his being referred to as a Holocaust survive as he 
    was not in the Holocaust camps. He was sent as a teen to live as a Christian Godson to an American business man who was taking property from Jewish people. (He was a teen....he had no control over this)
      April 3, 2023 5:29 AM MDT