Active Now

Randy D
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » Have you ever caught a wild animal? If so, what is the most exciting (or dangerous, even) wild animal capture experience you've had?

Have you ever caught a wild animal? If so, what is the most exciting (or dangerous, even) wild animal capture experience you've had?

Posted - June 17, 2023

Responses

Several fish and yabbies (freshwater crayfish). We had a koala wander into our front yard one day, dazed, disoriented and dehydrated. I "borrowed" the cat's water dish to give him a drink, then nudged him towards a tree - thankfully I know the right kind and one was available.
    I've shot several feral rabbits, cats and foxes. Never bothered to capture them or even attempt to. I'm a pretty good shot, or was. I've also crashed into a kangaroo - at low speed, minor dent in the car and the roo survived.
      June 18, 2023 2:03 AM MDT

No snake captures? I had high expectations from down under! 

June 18, 2023 7:31 PM MDT

I leave those to the experts - those things are DANGEROUS.
    We used to get tiger snakes and browns all the time. Next door neighbour kept chickens, they were after the eggs as well as the rodents which were after the feed.
      June 19, 2023 6:09 AM MDT

I'm sure I'd have more fear if we had many dangerous snakes. Probably. My most dangerous capture was a venomous snake. The other top contender was a great-horned owl; though that was an attempted rescue rather than a capture.
      June 21, 2023 7:44 PM MDT

I did not catch any wild animal, & I don't think I will catch any.
      June 19, 2023 4:12 PM MDT

Not even a butterfly or firefly? 
      June 21, 2023 7:45 PM MDT

& would you think butterfly might be fun to catch sometimes?
      June 22, 2023 6:39 AM MDT

If you have a butterfly net and are careful, yes! Just don't touch them much, as they're very delicate and easily injured. 
      June 22, 2023 6:06 PM MDT

And firefly, do you think it might be little fear of catching that which you/I think it might burn if probably might use hands when catching it?
      June 22, 2023 6:54 PM MDT

Some people call them lightning bugs. There's no fire or lightning and they're sturdier and easier to catch than butterflies. You can safely use your hand (gently) and a clean, rinsed glass jar with holes poked in the lid so they can breathe. You can keep them overnight but let them go in the morning. 
      June 23, 2023 7:31 PM MDT

I do remember catching fireflies when I was a kid. When we went hunting them, a small group of kids would get jars and put holes in the covers. We only kept them for a short while. I don't remember keeping them over night. It's what we did on a hot summer night.
      June 23, 2023 8:52 PM MDT

I don't think childhood would be the same without it! It definitely kept my sister and me occupied when we were young and my own children, too. 

I believe that teaching children kindness towards all creatures (other than parasites) is one of the greatest lessons we can share. 
      June 24, 2023 7:20 AM MDT

Yeah once when I was a kid I trapped a wild racoon figuring since I was like Doctor Doolittle I could make a pet of it. That lasted for about 5 minutes before I could see it could never be a pet.  It was like that cartoon Tasmanian Devil and it was pretty scary when it started chewing through the cage while looking at me. So I brought it back to the wild were it belonged.
      June 24, 2023 8:49 AM MDT

Glad you released it! Raccoons are so adorable, but not something I ever attempted to capture. I remember seeing our dog quarrel with one when I was young and knew they weren't to be messed with! 

I couldn't have been more than 4 when I heard what I thought was a bird in a section of our garden that was basically mulch from sticks and leaves collected. I dug through that stuff for quite a while and eventually found what turned out to be a shrew, not the baby bird I was expecting. It promptly bit me, surprise, surprise. My mom called the doctor, worried that I might contract rabies. He said not to worry. 
      June 24, 2023 9:26 PM MDT

a few months ago.... my appartment has mice sometimes and one was on the sink , stucked there ... 

I grabbed an empty food can, and captured the mouse.... and i threw it outdoors on the floor and it fleed.

July 2, 2023 5:49 PM MDT