Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Music » What's a song you like that is based upon an actual event?

What's a song you like that is based upon an actual event?

Gordon Lightfoot's  "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"  is one of mine

Posted - July 4, 2023

Responses

The singer reminded me of the male voice in the two Epica group songs that sirena Martina answered with above. I somehow like the use of this style of singing better in this song, perhaps because he's the only vocalist in this song.
    I do like the music itself, too. Sad event that inspired it, yes.

I like the ethereal-sounding upper-register, almost choir-sounds, that enter at the 5:43 and 7:10 marks. 
      August 6, 2023 10:00 AM MDT

July 31, 2023 10:17 PM MDT

Hi Livvie , I apologize for taking forever to get through the answers to my question. I've been going in order. I will get to your answer. I'm sending this to those whose answers I still have to reply to. ( With my track record thus far, it will take me two months to get through your answers once I get there, ha.)

:)

August 4, 2023 3:10 PM MDT

I, at least, got to your first song, :Blue Sky Mine." I like the style of the music video and the song, too.
    Had not heard about this specific mine but  know of asbestos-related things.
    Serious stuff.

I may go to other answers and come back to finish your list.  :)
      August 6, 2023 10:11 AM MDT

"Cassie"  Flyleaf

:)  I'm glad I checked out the song lyrics and story behind the song first.  - the lead vocalist is hard to for me to understand.  :) Maybe it's just been too sunny of a day for gray-cloudy-days-are-prettier- WelbyQ to understand singers at moment.

I like the song, though.
    As you probably know, too, it eventually became know that Dylan Klebold did not ask Cassie Bernall if she believed in God, he asked a different student. (I've read a couple of books about that tragedy.)

I hadn't heard the song. I'm glad you posted it.

So many difficult events have inspired songs. Whew, tough getting through my posted question.  :)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at August 19, 2023 9:32 AM MDT
      August 10, 2023 5:30 PM MDT

I know "Candle in the Wind" - - a great song to me.

"Cities in the Dust" didn't do a whole lot for me but an interesting event upon to base a song, for sure!  :)

August 14, 2023 5:25 PM MDT

"Dallas 1 pm"  -  -  I didn't have to research this one to find out what the song was about. :)                   (Smiley face may be inappropriate maybe)

I looked up the song lyrics, though. This song really grew on my as I listened. THe video you posted here didn't have the radio chatter in the middle - - I like hearing the radio chatter portion. In context of the song and sudden change of music style works well for me.
    Your video's sound better quality, though, than the one I fully listened to through the end.

Thanks again.  :)
      August 14, 2023 5:37 PM MDT

August 1, 2023 7:38 PM MDT

Hi Chief Ten Beers, I apologize for taking forever to get through the answers to my question. I've been going in order. I will get to your answer. I'm sending this to those whose answers I still have to reply to.
      August 4, 2023 3:11 PM MDT

I admit that I'm not a fan of this song. 
    I'll not go into my reasons here. If you wish, you can check out my reasons at my2cents' separate good question she posted about the song.
    By your liking her answer in my question here, I realize you know she posted the same song as one of her answers here. :)

EDIT: Hey, forgive me, Chief Ten Beers, I thought I had long ago liked everyone's answers, even though it's taking me a long time to "listen to/respond to" all answers. Somehow I missed 'liking' yours until just now.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at August 19, 2023 9:32 AM MDT
      August 6, 2023 10:15 AM MDT

The song I Don't Like Mondays by the Boom Town Rats is based on a real sad actual event. It is about a 16 year old girl that went on a shooting spree at her school. And when they asked her why she did it she said - I don't know I guess I just don't like Mondays.   

The silicon chip inside her head gets switched to overload.
    And nobody's gonna go to school today she's going to make them stay at home.
    And daddy doesn't understand it he always said she was as good as gold. And he can see no reasons cause there are no reasons. What reason do you need to be shown? Tell me why I don't like Mondays. Tell me why I don't like Mondays. Tell me why I don't like Mondays. I want to shoot the whole day down.
    The telex machine is kept so clean as it types to a waiting world. And mother feels so shocked - father's world is rocked. And their thoughts turn to their own little girl - sweet 16 ain't so peachy keen - no it ain't so neat to admit defeat.
    They can see no reasons cause there are no reasons what reason do you need?
    Tell me why I don't like Mondays. Tell me why I don't like Mondays. Tell me why I don't like Mondays.
    I want to shoot the whole day down, down, down - shoot it all down. 
    And all the playing's stopped in the playground now she wants to play with her toys a while. And school's out early. And soon we'll be learning and the lesson today is how to die. And then the bullhorn crackles and the captain tackles with the problems and the how's and why's.
    And he can see no reasons cause there are no reasons what reason do you need to die, die? 

Cheers!

August 3, 2023 8:15 PM MDT

Hi Nanoose, I apologize for taking forever to get through the answers to my question. I've been going in order. I will get to your answer. I'm sending this to those whose answers I still have to reply to.
      August 4, 2023 3:11 PM MDT

Oh my goodness, Nanoose. This question I posted has continued to challenge me in so many powerful-and-enlightening ways from everyone who's answered.

I had not heard this song before.
    I admit I had to look up Bob Geldof's name; I kept thinking, "Why do I know his name so well?" I knew of the Boomtown Rats. But I forgot all the other impressively admirable-to-me things he's done.

This song here is powerful. I liked it.
    And the music video which I watched! Wow! In a quiet understated way, the music video is more gut-wrenching than a gore-filled movie blockbuster.

So often for me, the way for someone to get his or her point across to me is in a quiet and understated way. Just like this music video. And the song lyrics themselves.

Cheers to you, too, and Be Well  :)
      August 6, 2023 5:42 PM MDT

Hey Welby. For a live gig with Carly Simon, I'd know you'd just love this song too. I try not to be a little eraser. I'm leaving all your comments alone now. Nobody Does It Better.
    https://youtu.be/SaV-6qerkqI This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at August 20, 2023 2:34 PM MDT
      August 19, 2023 9:48 AM MDT

We both have good taste here, and for you to think of this concert and me - - pretty amazing - - because . . . I own the entire concert she did here! !
    It  was released on DVD or VHS - - have watched and listened many times! 
    I'm honored that you thought I would like this concert. I certainly do! :)
      August 20, 2023 2:37 PM MDT

Thanks Welby! That's awesome brother. The sing is impeccable isn't it and sorry for the late reply brother!
      September 27, 2023 11:13 PM MDT

No worries at all, Cosmic, your timing is perfect - - I had a very rough day yesterday and today I've been doing better, and your reply here made my day better.  :)
      September 28, 2023 7:05 PM MDT

A brand new baby to report about an actual event. This is song about the hidden genocide in the War in East Timor.
    https://youtu.be/zMF2WehUbWc
      August 19, 2023 9:34 AM MDT