Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » What do you think of this song?

What do you think of this song?

(Song starts at 2:30)

Link to direct video....youtube appears to be blocking it
https://youtu.be/b1_RKu-ESCY 

Lyrics:

Sucker punch somebody on a sidewalk
Carjack an old lady at a red light
Pull a gun on the owner of a liquor store
Ya think it’s cool, well, act a fool if ya like
Cuss out a cop, spit in his face
Stomp on the flag and light it up
Yeah, ya think you’re tough

[Chorus]
Well, try that in a small town
See how far ya make it down the road
‘Round here, we take care of our own
You cross that line, it won’t take long
For you to find out, I recommend you don’t
Try that in a small town

[Verse 2]
Got a gun that my granddad gave me
They say one day they’re gonna round up
Well, that sh*t might fly in the city, good luck

[Chorus]
Try that in a small town
See how far ya make it down the road
Try that in a small town

[Bridge]
Full of good ol’ boys, raised up right
If you’re looking for a fight
Try that in a small town
Try that in a small town

[Chorus]
Try that in a small town
(See how far ya make it down the road)
Try that in a small town
Try that in a small town, mm-mm

[Outro]
Try that in a small town

Posted - July 21, 2023

Responses

Too bad there's no melody and I can't understand the words.
      July 21, 2023 8:27 AM MDT

It is country. 
      July 21, 2023 8:29 AM MDT

That's no excuse.  I've heard country songs that had a melody and the lyrics were understandable.  
      July 21, 2023 9:31 PM MDT

I hear both a melody and can easily understand the lyrics....
      July 22, 2023 5:56 AM MDT

The first thing posted was four Black fellows, none of which are Jason Aldean.  Then there was something about an error.  I gave up after that.
      July 22, 2023 10:23 AM MDT

I know for some reason I cannot get the actual video will not post for me....the closest I could get was the black guys viewing it. As I posted the actual song started at 2:30. 
      July 22, 2023 6:24 PM MDT

Well I was going to give it a listen but then I noticed that you said it was Country and figured I better not because I might get kicked out of the Kiss Army. Plus I got a bit of sour grapes with country singers. My wife once had the googly eyes for Tinker Tub who was the son of Ernest tub a country singer. She was only 6 years old at the time so I try not to let it bother me. I also may be remembering first names wrong but I do recall that it was one of those Tub boys. Cheers and happy weekend! This post was edited by Nanoose at July 21, 2023 6:15 PM MDT
      July 21, 2023 10:15 AM MDT

Lol. 
    If KISS can perform with Garth Brooks, you should be able to listen to a country song with no worries. 
      July 21, 2023 10:43 AM MDT

I forgot about that and actually thought it wasn't too bad. Thought I would do a little more bragging - my wife also knew a couple of country folk that made appearances on the Beverly Hillbillies - I think it was Lester and Earl Srubs. Cheers and happy weekend!
      July 21, 2023 1:08 PM MDT

I gave the song a listen and a view and I think it needs some footage of the Jan. 6th riot at the Capital. I have always had the try that in a small town spirt so I agree with a lot of the words in the song. But there is a bit of controversy about it so I am going to do a bit of research before I form a opium on it. Cheers and happy weekend! 
      July 21, 2023 1:23 PM MDT

Why do you need the media to tell you what to think about it?
      July 21, 2023 4:48 PM MDT

The arrogance (in my opinion) of the lyrics, and the arrogant-to-me style in which he sings the lyrics, immediately turned me off. 
    I had not heard the song until just now.

Having lived in both big and small towns in my life, I know that some of the stupidest people I know are from small towns.

And some of the stupidest people I know are from large towns.

We all can be stupid. Including me.
    And I'm the first one to admit my own sometimes-stupid nature.
    And let's all get along anyway, though, okay?

I very much tire of people who have not walked in others' shoes seemingly walking through life "knowing it all" anyway.

I appreciate how your asked your question by also providing the song lyrics, thanks. And I don't know if you started out your post with two videos but I went directly to the second video that just had the song.
    After first reading the lyrics which turned me off, I was hoping maybe the music might make me maybe still like the song.
    Nope.  :)

I've never heard the song and only know the singer by his name. But I was aware, in a very vague way, about some controversy.
    Too bad it's giving more exposure to a song I don't like at all. Ha! :)

(Perhaps unfair of me, this singer's arrogant-to-me song reminded me of many people who complained about many Native Americans having issues with various USA professional sports teams' names and/or mascots. And none of the complainers were Native Americans. For me, after what was done to the Native Americans in the USA's history, I make an attempt to understand from where their perspectives come.)

I went on a long time again, ha. Excuse any typos that I probably will find later on some times, ha.

EDIT: Yup, I changed a couple of things, ha.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at July 24, 2023 7:25 PM MDT
      July 21, 2023 6:15 PM MDT

Yes, there was the offical video but it is not posting because some are complaining about the it...but I think youtube is blocking it.  The closest I could fine was the guys watching it. And I may end up taking it down.  I added the audio video when I found it.  (So started with a black square and  the video to the guys watching the video then added the audio video)

I like the song.  I also had not heard until it made the news that CMT banned it. 

I think it sums up the way many people feel when they watch the news. Thinking they would not allow that type stuff in their area. I don't know if that is arrogant or just fed up with the stuff. 

I don't worry about typos,  I make plenty.  

July 21, 2023 7:36 PM MDT

I’m going to see if it posts now.

July 21, 2023 8:55 PM MDT

It works for me.  I don’t know why the original wasn’t posting for you.
      July 21, 2023 8:56 PM MDT

I still cannot get it to post....just getting the black screen. This post was edited by my2cents at July 22, 2023 5:21 PM MDT
      July 22, 2023 6:04 AM MDT

I get your point, yes, with people being fed up.

What I find arrogant in the song is the attitude that, to me, comes across as people in small towns do everything right and people in big cities do everything wrong.

And my admittedly over-the-top point was that we're all in this thing called humanity and all of us are imperfect, big towns, little towns or no towns at all. 

July 22, 2023 5:21 PM MDT

Agreed, as usual. And with the ever-climbing number of small towns that have fallen to meth labs and the opiate crisis, the song reeks of nonsense (along with sounding arrogant and offensive to the ears). 

July 22, 2023 7:10 PM MDT

As if there are no drugs in the city....

I know of several small towns (two are towns I have lived in) who stopped the nonsense trying to come to the town. As this song is talking about. I also have seen the small town residents come together to help a resident that had a need. I have seen a new home destroyed without insurance, be rebuilt by the neighbors,  I have seen farmers get help with fields after an injury.  All by their neighbors.   And that is what this song is talking about...and why it is resonating with so many people.
      July 23, 2023 7:02 AM MDT

Thanks, SavvyAnsley.   :)
      July 24, 2023 7:16 PM MDT

It's up there with 'Dueling Banjos ' from the film Deliverance.
      July 22, 2023 3:10 AM MDT

LOL! 
      July 22, 2023 8:10 AM MDT

Jason Aldean rarely shied away from sharing his right-leaning political views. His wife, Brittany Aldean, and his sister, Kasi Rosa Wicks, launched a conservative clothing line dedicated to trolling liberals. They both supported the Jan. 6th insurrection calling the rioters patriots. This ain't no peyton place and  Jason Aldean is a Harper valley hypocrite. Cheers and happy weekend! This post was edited by Nanoose at July 22, 2023 5:22 PM MDT
      July 22, 2023 8:48 AM MDT

They supported the protesters not the rioters. 
      July 22, 2023 6:31 PM MDT