Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Did you know that Trump's PAC has spent $40.2 million on legal costs to defend himself and his associates in the first half of this year?

Did you know that Trump's PAC has spent $40.2 million on legal costs to defend himself and his associates in the first half of this year?

That's more than Save America — the PAC — raised in the second quarter of 2023 and brings the group's total spending on Trump's post-presidential legal woes to around $56 million.

"The political action committee that former President Donald J. Trump is using to pay his legal bills faced such staggering costs this year that it requested a refund on a $60 million contribution it made to another group supporting the Republican front-runner, according to two people familiar with the matter.

The decision signals a potential money crisis for Mr. Trump, who has so far refused to pay his own voluminous bills directly and has also avoided creating a legal-defense fund for himself and people who have become entangled in the various investigations related to him."

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/29/us/trump-pac-legal-fees.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage§ion=US%20News

Posted - July 30, 2023

Responses

I read that article and I am a bit confused about the time thing. It said Trump made the 2 tweets 25 minutes after the rioters breached the capital. I think that means 25 minutes after the rioters entered the capital building. There was some pretty violent clashes with the police before they breached the building. So it might of been going on for a hour or 2 before Trump made the first tweet. I will always remember how when Trump finally made a TV announcement he had to do it a few times because he didn't like the words that were  written for him (those words made it sound like a insurrection rather then the peaceful protest that Trump wanted to make it sound like). I will also remember how before each take Trump adjusted his tie and collar to make himself look good - cops were getting beat and politicians life's were in danger but in Trump's mind that didn't matter as much as how he looked. Cheers! This post was edited by Nanoose at August 3, 2023 10:22 AM MDT
      August 2, 2023 1:13 PM MDT

The violence started before Trump done speaking.  

Regardless of the time....Twitter hid Trump's calls for peace.    These are in fact Trump's last Tweets on the platform.

He called for peaceful and patriotic marching and cheering. During the speech and peace on Twitter.
      August 2, 2023 2:00 PM MDT

Contesting the results of an election based on lies and misinformation is dishonest at best and criminal at worst.
      August 2, 2023 2:13 PM MDT

No, we have the 1st amendment in the country. 
    And we can have an opinion and we can voice that opinion legally under the 1st amendment.  
    Again, if contesting a result of an election is illegal, then we can start with arresting the Dems in Congress who contested Trump's election in 2016....and Bush's in 2000,  and on down the list.  Do we arrest the Hollyweirds who participated in the commercial asking the electoral collage voters to not honor their state's election result and vote for Hillary anyway?  Do we arrest Stein for asking for a recount in some states? Or is it only illegal when Trump says I think the results are wrong?   

The 1st amendment protects all of these people's right to speak their opinions.  
      August 2, 2023 2:34 PM MDT

But he knowingly lied and is consequently charged with defrauding the United States. Pretty grave offense.

But you all foolishly believe he did nothing wrong.
      August 2, 2023 2:50 PM MDT

No, he believed exactly what he was saying.  
    Again, it is not illegal to believe something that is in dispute.  It is not illegal to be wrong. (No I do not believe he is/was wrong) But in any case, it is not illegal.  
    It is protected speech under the 1st amendment.   
      August 2, 2023 3:00 PM MDT

I'm sure you are aware that the First Amendment protects speech, not actions.
      August 2, 2023 3:57 PM MDT

And what actions did he take on Jan 6 that were illegal? None.  

August 2, 2023 4:55 PM MDT

OK, you win. Trump is an innocent choir boy.

August 2, 2023 5:31 PM MDT

I always thought Trump was more of a opera singer because he is always saying - me me me meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Cheers!
      August 2, 2023 5:55 PM MDT

Probably not.
      August 3, 2023 6:47 AM MDT