Active Now

Stu Spelling Bee
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Are you of the mindset to go to church just to argue its illogical precepts with their clergy members?

Are you of the mindset to go to church just to argue its illogical precepts with their clergy members?

Posted - November 5, 2023

Responses

No, but my husband would enjoy meeting someone like that.....
      November 5, 2023 8:08 AM MST

Definitely not. Sounds like an internet troll. 
      November 5, 2023 2:21 PM MST

I wouldn’t, but the last time my mom invited my husband and me to go to church her was the last time she ever invited us to go to church with her.  I’m irreligious, but my husband who is also not a Christian challenged the pastor’s theology.  

Umm yeah, he rolled is eyes during the sermon and said “Ugh, THAT’S not in the Bible.  After the sermon, the pastor asked him if he had a different opinion, so my husband schooled the pastor on what the Bible says vs. what idiots on Reddit say.  

Yes, my husband actually said to the pastor “That’s not the Word of God, that’s the word of idiots on Reddit.  You ignored the passages in the Bible that actually address what you’re talking about and the one passage you quoted wasn’t the whole passage and you took it out of context.”

lol.  My mom was completely humiliated.  My husband and my mom continued the argument when we got home.  I don’t think anybody’s going to invite us to church again anytime soon.

November 5, 2023 4:10 PM MST

My husband would agree with yours most church's do not preach the majority of the Bible and twist what they do preach. It was a very disillusioning realization.  
      November 5, 2023 7:50 PM MST

I think it's a bout the warmth of socialness couched in potatoes for a reason. You got to believe in something right? "You can freak right out" "You know it's too much. You got to believe in Jesus". Norman Greenbaum. No!!!
    Prepare yourself, you know it's a must
    Gotta have a friend in Jesus
    So you know that when you die
    He's gonna recommend you to the spirit in the sky (spirit in the sky) This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at November 7, 2023 7:39 PM MST
      November 5, 2023 8:21 PM MST

No, not just in something.  Need to believe in the Truth. The true Jesus the Messiah in the Bible. 
      November 6, 2023 5:07 AM MST

Your husband may not agree with mine.  My husband is not a Christian.  He’s a pagan.  However, during the argument he had with my mom after that church service, he did say that if someone wants to be Christian then they should be a Christian and follow Christ’s path instead of teaching pop psychology, cultural norms, prosperity theology and empty platitudes.

I absolutely hate church.  Even my own husband says I go way overboard sometimes with my negative remarks about religion.  I had really bad experiences with it when I was growing up and my husband did too.  While I find church culture to be totally cringeworthy, actually following Christ’s path is a pretty tall order.  I haven’t seen a whole lot of that going on in church. This post was edited by Livvie at November 9, 2023 10:50 AM MST
      November 7, 2023 7:55 PM MST

True, they would in no way agree on theology.   And yes, actually following Christ is a very hard thing to do, we all fall short of the goal.  Problem is as your husband said most do not even try. 
      November 8, 2023 7:02 AM MST

”We all fall short of the goal.”

No we don’t since we’re not all Christians and we don’t all try.

This may not apply to you, but there is a Christian fallacy that some Christians believe that they are Christian and Jesus is their lord and savior and “good news” for everyone, so everybody should be or become Christian.

Thinking about it makes me barf.
      November 8, 2023 7:56 AM MST

Christ was a Jew....He followed God the Father (Adonai/Yahweh of the  Tanakh) as should all Jews then and now.  And Yes, Jews fall short of following God's rules as well. 
    God the Father has said that all Jews (who believe in Him and the coming Messiah) will be saved as they were given blinders to the first coming so that others may be saved as well. 
      November 8, 2023 4:12 PM MST

I am aware that Jesus was Jewish, and Christianity started as a Jewish sect.

And there is a group called Messianic Judaism, but they are not really Jews since Judaism doesn’t recognize Jesus’ divinity.
      November 8, 2023 7:49 PM MST

Point is we all fall short following God's rules. Jewish people included.

Most people who are Messianic Jews are Jews via heritage so yes, they are still Jews by definition, Jew can mean:
    1. A follower of Judaism.
    2. A person Jewish heritage 
    3. A person from Israel (Judea) This post was edited by my2cents at November 9, 2023 3:19 AM MST
      November 9, 2023 3:06 AM MST

They might be Jews by heredity, but accepting Jesus as a divine entity is a Christian theological precept, not a Jewish one.

That makes them Christian in practice.
      November 9, 2023 10:48 AM MST

As is a Jew who does not believe but still attends service because their family does. They are also not religiously a Jew....in practice they are an atheist.  (Same with  someone from a Christian family who only attends because of family traditions)
      November 9, 2023 11:40 AM MST

I've thought about it but never did.  However many moons ago a pastor and I sort of experienced a mind meld.  While in a church, during the service, the pastor looked at me directly in the eyes, I sat in the front row, he must have seen inside my heart and mind; the twists and untruth's  he had just preached and the correction I was thinking about. His look said it all, no words needed to be said, he understood completely and I understood in return, I knew that he knew exactly what he was doing.  A couple of years later he was exposed as a conman, lost his church (1000's of people went there), lost his wife, lost everything.  You can still see him on very late night television in some areas of the US., still preaching the same garbage, taking people's money through "seed faith donations."  
    He is also included in video's about bad preachers that take people for they money. Always knew something was "off" about the things he said, still didn't have a good understanding about God's word.  After more studying, a light went off and I was appalled, I got up in disgust, he watched me begin to leave, In the hallway by the exit he walked by me and would not look me in the eye, I never went back.

This post was edited by . at November 9, 2023 10:49 AM MST
      November 6, 2023 4:18 AM MST

That makes me think of this guy:

November 7, 2023 8:00 PM MST

Wow, he was so scandalous but that's not him.  I looked up the guy I was talking about and discovered he passed away in 2017 but still has a place to "donate" on his Facebook page, no doubt it's for his family (3rd wife and children.) Unbelievable!!! I'm at a loss for words, as to what he is going through now. Don't want to name him in case someone would go a look him up and hear even one word of his lies and garbage. 
      November 9, 2023 5:10 PM MST