Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Education » Did you go on field trips during your elementary school years? Do you recall anything interesting about any of them?

Did you go on field trips during your elementary school years? Do you recall anything interesting about any of them?

Posted - April 11

Responses

I did, but not with school. I was a cub scout. I remember learning how to cook over a campfire, set up tents and hike until I was footsore, then hike some more.
    HIGH school, on the other hand, there were plenty. Geography/geology in particular. The Blue Mountains west of Sydney is a trove of fossils, sedimentary rocks etc, and we had to observe the striations in the Lapstone monocline, measure the angle at which the sandstone was slanted ... There were also several trips to the Opera House to hear various orchestras. I've performed there twice but neither was part of a school trip even though I was in my senior year the first time. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at April 15, 2024 5:12 AM MDT
      April 11, 2024 8:47 AM MDT

I went on quite a few.  A few were on a bus, but most were walking field trips (the curse of living in an historic mining town).  I didn't find them that interesting, but it was better than being in a classroom.  We went to museums, Christmas tree farms, a chicken ranch (real chickens), got to travel on the local brand new (yet unopened) "freeway", and a few trips to another school to watch plays/movies.
      April 11, 2024 8:57 AM MDT

I loved school field trips.  The ones I remember as being really fun were the symphony orchestra concerts for kids, the potato chip factory tour, the Indian burial mounds, Buffalo Rock bottling plant, Barber Dairy where we got samples, and the ruins from Confederate cannonball  furnaces from the Civil War.  They were very close to where I lived most of my adult life but not close to where I lived when in elementary school.   My kids and I walked over to look at them and climb around the rocks numerous times when they were growing up and my daughter and her kids did too.  There is a stream than flows by it which was inviting for kids but the snakes didn't want the company.    I notice that there are now signs and posted rules and certain areas made inaccessible.  Progress. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at April 15, 2024 5:12 AM MDT
      April 11, 2024 1:14 PM MDT

I loved them too. My favorites were always the factory tours. It was fascinating to see how things are made. Based on the responses here, my school seemed to have gone on more field trips than most. Maybe because it was a parochial school, not a public school.
      April 12, 2024 8:55 AM MDT

We did not have school field trips when I was a youngster.
      April 11, 2024 4:19 PM MDT

I have no memory of any field trip in any classes for any year of my early education, don't even remember the classes, nor do I care to.  
      April 11, 2024 6:24 PM MDT

Okay, then.
      April 12, 2024 8:56 AM MDT

I remember our trips to New York’s renowned American Museum of Natural History with its exhibits of huge dinosaur bones and skeletons.

Also a trip to Philadelphia and the Franklin Institute.
      April 11, 2024 9:52 PM MDT

I'd like to see that someday. 
      April 12, 2024 8:56 AM MDT

It's really amazing.
      April 13, 2024 9:19 AM MDT

Belgium has some informal tradition of taking students on a prolonged trip once a year. Fond memories of London, and trying our best (not) to pick up a Cockney accent. In our senior year, it was Normandy, of which I barely remember anything but windy beaches and Mont-Saint-Michel. (That's right, Welby!)

I'm a little disappointed with my younger self for not paying more attention, but I guess that's how it goes.
      April 12, 2024 5:48 AM MDT

Those sound like great triips!
      April 12, 2024 8:57 AM MDT

I was reading through answers in this great question, thinking of what I may answer.
    Was reading your answer and got to your mention  of "Normandy" and caught my breath a bit.
    And then you mentioned what I had immediately thought of - - Mont-Saint-Michel! Yes, I stopped breathing a bit. 
    Been smiling quite a bit today thinking about your mentioning it here and your having been there.  :)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at April 13, 2024 8:55 PM MDT
      April 12, 2024 4:59 PM MDT

Hehe, I'm glad! This was in 2012, so before they constructed the new bridge towards it. I mostly remember running along the battlements.
      April 13, 2024 10:10 AM MDT

Excellent. So cool. :)

(And you've noticed my many posts about it, ha.)

I find Mont-St.Michel so beautiful beyond words. And its place in the also-beautiful natural setting - - all of it makes me inwardly soar just seeing pictures.
      April 13, 2024 5:27 PM MDT

I remember going to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Museum of Natural History and I'm sure there were other places, but I can't recall them.  
      April 12, 2024 6:48 AM MDT

Old age asylum. The kids jokes OmiGod..Omigod..Omigod..hahaha to a poor lady saying it trapped in it. This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at April 15, 2024 5:10 AM MDT
      April 12, 2024 7:08 AM MDT

We went a hog farm. I only remember the smell.

St Louis zoo. 

For physics class, we went Six Flags and did experiments during the rides. Measuring g-force, etc. 

I am sure there were others but I do not remember.  

As a parent, I went with my son's class to a civil war battlefield.  It was probably the most interesting field trip I had been on....likely because I was an adult.  I don't think my son remembers much of it.  Other than them shooting the cannon.
      April 13, 2024 5:24 AM MDT

By the time I started teaching physics, our schools no longer had the money to take the students to Cedar Point...our local amusement park.
      April 13, 2024 9:03 AM MDT

That is sad. 
      April 13, 2024 12:41 PM MDT

I just remembered that we went to the Fanny Farmer Candy Factory.  The smell was so overpowering that I couldn't eat a piece of chocolate for months after that.  Oh, if only that were true today!
      April 13, 2024 9:22 AM MDT

Should we all book another trip?
      April 13, 2024 10:12 AM MDT

I fear too much damage has been done since I "recovered" after that trip.
      April 13, 2024 12:50 PM MDT

That's my kind of field trip. I love watching how things are made. I remember going to the Skippy peanut butter factory. There was a conveyor belt full of peanuts with ladies in hairnets hunched over it picking out the unsuitable peanuts. Later in life, I would recall that whenever I thought my job was less than exciting.
      April 13, 2024 10:48 AM MDT