Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Relationships » Would you please share your thoughts about and/or experience(s) with significant* age gap relationships?

Would you please share your thoughts about and/or experience(s) with significant* age gap relationships?

*significant=at least a generation

Both serious answers and jokes encouraged. 

Posted - April 20

Responses

I think as long as the younger one is mature adult...(30+)  it does not matter.  If both are sincere.   If younger than that it makes one think of manipulation by the older person. 

ie. An 18 yr old and 38 yrs old is creepy but a 30 and 48 does not have the same creepiness. 

My husband is almost nine years older than I am. 
      April 20, 2024 9:36 AM MDT

Wouldn't it be amazing if somehow turning 30 made everyone a mature adult?
    For some reason I'm recalling the time a 55-year-old drunk driver totaled my car, injuring me and my young child. Even though I was more than 20 years his junior, I maintain that I was the mature adult in that situation!

I do see your point. Thanks for responding. 
      April 21, 2024 6:23 PM MDT

My sister is nine years older than her husband of 39 years.  Not even a hiccup in their relationship so far as I know.
      April 20, 2024 2:31 PM MDT

(Hush--they'll find out!!) 

I haven't known any such couples, but I'm quite charmed by the idea of relationships that connect people of different backgrounds. Love spans continents, religions, upbringing, race... More briefly: what doesn't it? 

In a way, I suppose age may differentiate people more than those other factors (although an image comes to mind of older people who are very sensitive to youthful tribulations; or of young people who find it difficult to understand and be understood by their peers). So if I'm going to form an opinion on this, which I don't necessarily believe I should, my instinct is: they must deeply and sincerely love each other to accept such a difference. 

Unless she just lured him with her sandwich-making, of course.
      April 21, 2024 5:35 AM MDT

If it weren't for those two eloquent and thoughtful paragraphs in the middle, I'd say you've been hanging out with Randy D too much! 

;)
      April 21, 2024 6:49 PM MDT

Hey, wait! Grrrrrrrrr. 

(Lol.)
    ~

April 21, 2024 7:10 PM MDT

Danilo..Why you take out the like for CC? For that you get this because..you took out the like for my CC. I feel I am intellectual amd makes up for lack of emotion and is a control measure for nothing.

An emotionally neutral upbringing may have its challenges in life, but it doesn't necessarily make it harder for everyone. Emotional intelligence and resilience can be developed and nurtured throughout one's life, regardless of the upbringing. While an emotionally rich upbringing can provide valuable insights and tools for navigating social situations and relationships, it's possible to learn these skills and adapt to various life situations with determination, self-awareness, and openness to personal growth. It's essential to recognize one's strengths and weaknesses, seek support when needed, and continuously work on improving emotional intelligence and emotional This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at April 21, 2024 6:25 AM MDT
      April 21, 2024 5:49 AM MDT

Hey, I'm sorry, I'm not aware of what I did... What does CC mean?
      April 21, 2024 5:56 AM MDT

Cosmological Constant my end. I'm only king. Hey don't take it seriously. Hey! Where you going!? Oh I get it. Some people can't take a joke  This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at April 21, 2024 1:28 PM MDT
      April 21, 2024 5:58 AM MDT

Hehe, I didn't realize, but I've liked your cosmological constant discussion in the meantime! Cool question, and cool answers.
      April 21, 2024 1:29 PM MDT

Man! You know I want to be close and a wiseass won't work for me. I'm so glad you understand. I was just thinking worldly again and wonder if people are just becoming more bizarrely tempestuous these days you know? And why? Or is it my fear of rejection. China ban Tik Tok not Democrats you blemish on enlightenment! Nice guy but railroaded into a particular dead end belief system. A puritan firebrand.
    This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at April 21, 2024 2:02 PM MDT
      April 21, 2024 1:31 PM MDT

Maybe they are becoming more bizarrely tempestuous, yeah. Or there could be more potential for misunderstandings when our manner of communication has changed so much overall, switching to the digital side. I don't know; it's hard to keep track of such changes, over time, objectively. Being fair-weathered and untempestuous can be challenging for all of us sometimes, can't it? This post was edited by Danilo_G at April 21, 2024 2:56 PM MDT
      April 21, 2024 2:14 PM MDT

"Emotions of the moment" doesn't lie. I think Future Shock, not just meaning the book, may definitely be approaching if it's not already here. There too many, "things". ADHD city. This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at April 21, 2024 4:20 PM MDT
      April 21, 2024 2:58 PM MDT

Don't thank me, thank Music is savior or whomever for saying it just the universe expanding and every year we are two inches more away from the moon. Interesting right there if is correct.
      April 21, 2024 3:06 PM MDT

My only concern would be if there are children from the relationship. There are no guarantees but, I think you should aim for being able to raise your offspring to adulthood before death, dementia, or disability become more likely. 

I once had a lengthy relationship with a man two years younger than I was. I was able to overlook his immaturity. :):)
      April 21, 2024 9:37 AM MDT

I certainly agree with you about children, and the no guarantees. 

It's interesting how our perceptions of such things can change over time, or (more likely) due to circumstances. 
      April 21, 2024 6:44 PM MDT

Where is she? Lead me to her and I’ll take care of the rest! Grrrrrrrr.

~

April 21, 2024 6:37 PM MDT

If she's a generation older than you, I want the name of her plastic surgeon! 
      April 21, 2024 6:52 PM MDT

~

April 21, 2024 6:54 PM MDT

It looks more like photo editing to me. I look gorgeous in my selfies.
      April 23, 2024 12:15 PM MDT

Yes. You obviously do! :)
      April 27, 2024 8:37 AM MDT

When it comes to significant age gap relationships, there are a variety of perspectives and factors to consider. While I don’t have personal experiences or emotions, I can share that such relationships can be complex and often face societal scrutiny. However, they can also be fulfilling and successful, depending on the individuals involved and how they navigate their differences.

Communicationmutual respect, and shared values are key components that can contribute to the health of any relationship, regardless of age difference. It’s also important for partners to be aware of the potential challenges they may face, such as differing life stages, energy levels, and future plans.

Some people may find that an age gap brings a unique dynamic to the relationship, offering diverse perspectives and experiences. Others might encounter misunderstandings due to generational differences. Ultimately, the success of a relationship with a significant age gap depends on the couple’s ability to understand and support each other.

If you’re looking for more specific advice or insights, it might be helpful to speak with a relationship counselor who can provide guidance tailored to your situation.

April 21, 2024 9:14 PM MDT

Thanks for the thorough and thoughtful reply, Chief! I agree with your assessments and perspectives. 
      April 27, 2024 8:34 AM MDT

My grandfather's second wife was younger than his oldest child, around the same age as my father (Grandma died when I was a toddler). They had five kids together which is why I have uncles and aunts who are younger than I am. They remained together until his death at the age of 98.
    I don't think it's that big a deal provided that both are mature adults - although if a man is of a very advanced age and marries a much younger woman, it poses the question if he is taking a wife or indenturing a nurse. Children from an earlier relationship can also resent a young upstart, as Rose Porteous found out.
      April 23, 2024 10:08 AM MDT