Active Now

Danilo_G
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Relationships » Would you please share your thoughts about and/or experience(s) with significant* age gap relationships?

Would you please share your thoughts about and/or experience(s) with significant* age gap relationships?

*significant=at least a generation

Both serious answers and jokes encouraged. 

Posted - April 20

Responses

Yes. You obviously do! :)
      April 27, 2024 8:37 AM MDT

When it comes to significant age gap relationships, there are a variety of perspectives and factors to consider. While I don’t have personal experiences or emotions, I can share that such relationships can be complex and often face societal scrutiny. However, they can also be fulfilling and successful, depending on the individuals involved and how they navigate their differences.

Communicationmutual respect, and shared values are key components that can contribute to the health of any relationship, regardless of age difference. It’s also important for partners to be aware of the potential challenges they may face, such as differing life stages, energy levels, and future plans.

Some people may find that an age gap brings a unique dynamic to the relationship, offering diverse perspectives and experiences. Others might encounter misunderstandings due to generational differences. Ultimately, the success of a relationship with a significant age gap depends on the couple’s ability to understand and support each other.

If you’re looking for more specific advice or insights, it might be helpful to speak with a relationship counselor who can provide guidance tailored to your situation.

April 21, 2024 9:14 PM MDT

Thanks for the thorough and thoughtful reply, Chief! I agree with your assessments and perspectives. 
      April 27, 2024 8:34 AM MDT

My grandfather's second wife was younger than his oldest child, around the same age as my father (Grandma died when I was a toddler). They had five kids together which is why I have uncles and aunts who are younger than I am. They remained together until his death at the age of 98.
    I don't think it's that big a deal provided that both are mature adults - although if a man is of a very advanced age and marries a much younger woman, it poses the question if he is taking a wife or indenturing a nurse. Children from an earlier relationship can also resent a young upstart, as Rose Porteous found out.
      April 23, 2024 10:08 AM MDT

Thanks for sharing your family story! I remember a friend who had an uncle just a few months older than her. They were in the same class. 

I agree with you about the wife/nurse question, but am wondering why the same isn't true if the woman is of an advanced age and marries a much younger man? Are male nurses not very common down under? I'm thinking this may be more about the presumption/stereotype that men aren't generally nurturers or caregivers. 
      April 27, 2024 8:45 AM MDT

More a case that it happens less often. A young man will quite often chase "cougars", but rarely much older than sixty - unless she's extremely wealthy, in which case they'll hire a nurse anyway.
    Having younger uncles/aunts has led to some amusing situations. I was in my senior year in high school when Andrew was in sixth grade (only one of them, the youngest one, Jacinta, gets the honorific "auntie" and I do it to annoy her), he was doing a science project on stars and planets, and as I had astronomy as a physics elective I was passing him stuff that a sixth-grader wouldn't generally find. When his teacher asked him where he was getting his information from, he quite honestly answered "my nephew" but the teacher didn't believe him!
    Auntie Jac made an age-related wisecrack when I became a grandfather for the first time, but her jaw hit the floor when I pointed out it made her a great-great aunt. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at May 9, 2024 5:21 PM MDT
      May 9, 2024 5:11 PM MDT