Discussion » Questions » Politics » Should the Electoral College be revised or eliminated?

Should the Electoral College be revised or eliminated?

Media reports suggest the final tally will end up with HRC receiving about 2 million more votes than Donald Trump, and this will be the second time in 16 years (Gore beat Bush in the popular vote in 2000) the EC result goes contrary to the popular vote result.

In no other American electoral domain is this situation allowed to occur. The Supreme Court has consistently upheld "one person, one vote" rules for election to all other offices (since Senators became elected by direct popular vote after the passage of the 17th Amendment), but the Electoral College is in constitutional language and would require amending the Constitution to modify or eliminate. Should that be done and, if so, what should replace it?

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/11/clintons-popular-vote-lead-will-grow-and-grow/507455/

Posted - November 14, 2016

Responses

Yes
      November 14, 2016 2:57 PM MST

OK, why? And should it simply be replaced by direct popular election or something else?
      November 14, 2016 2:59 PM MST

No. That would make it to where only the states with the  largest populations matter.  The electoral college makes it so all the states have a say in the election.  That is why our founders created the electoral college.  

It will never be eliminated.  It would require a constitutional amendment and would never recieve the required votes in congress.
      November 14, 2016 3:20 PM MST

@m2c -- It may surprise you, but I partially agree with you. While it would probably produce political policies more in line with my preferences, I worry eliminating the Electoral College would cause voters in sparsely populated areas to be essentially disenfranchised.

That being said, I think the EC as currently constructed grants too much disproportional influence to voters in low-population-density areas and  be replaced by some other mechanism. I'm not sure what that mechanism would be, but I'm open to suggestions.
      November 14, 2016 3:27 PM MST

You're right it is a surprise to me. 
      November 14, 2016 5:30 PM MST

@m2c -- It shouldn't surprise you. But maybe you haven't been paying close enough attention...;-D...
      November 14, 2016 5:34 PM MST

• Listening to the conversation above and I'm confused... Also a non American ... Why not one person one vote?... Isn't it about the majority of the people's will rules?... What should state size have to do with it..
      November 14, 2016 3:35 PM MST

@Ozg256 --- In the original language of the US Constitution, the president is elected by slates of electors from each state, NOT by the overall vote of the people. Furthermore, it is left up to each state to determine how those electors will be chosen.

In practice, what happens is in each state a group of electors is chosen by the popular vote. So if Bob beats Joe in Iowa, a group of Iowa electors pledged to vote for Bob in the ACTUAL ELECTION is sent to cast their votes.

The number of electors is the same as the number of congressional representatives for each state. So California voters elect a slate of 55 electors, while Hawaii voters select a slate of 4 electors.

Only 4 times in American history has a presidential candidate lost the popular vote but won the Electoral College vote (including this year).

What seems to be happening in recent decades is the polarization of American voters has increased. Some states dominated by large cities (e.g. New York, Illinois, California) vote reliably Democratic while states which lack large cities or have other demographic quirks are reliabily Republican. States where the GOP/Democratic split is roughly even are disproportionately influential in the Presidential election.

HRC will win the popular vote by between 1 million and 2 million voters. Sprinkle a tiny fraction of those excess HRC votes in closely contested states like Michigan, Pennsylvania, Florida, and Wisconsin, and the election result is reversed.

Because the Electoral College is part of the Constitution, it would require a constitutional amendment to modify it or eliminate it. That requires a great deal more united popular will than currently exists in the United States. This post was edited by OldSchoolTheSKOSlives at November 14, 2016 9:47 PM MST
      November 14, 2016 3:56 PM MST

I still don't understand how a small state with 4 electoral votes can have any real influence over a state that has 55 votes.  No matter how you cut the cake, the smaller states have less influence because they have fewer electoral votes.  Ergo, electing a president by the popular vote would seem to be a more democratic (fair) way of electing the person who will lead the country. 
      November 15, 2016 11:06 AM MST

@SS -- While it is true that California as a state (55 electoral votes) will always have more influence on the presidential election than a small state like Idaho (4 electoral votes), it is ALSO true that PROPORTIONATELY voters in Idaho are much more powerful. It takes about 150,000 votes in Idaho to get an electoral vote. It takes about 500,000 votes in California to get an electoral vote.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/map_of_the_week/2012/11/presidential_election_a_map_showing_the_vote_power_of_all_50_states.html

This is an artifact of every state gettting 2 senators and at least one House member regardless of the state's population.
      November 15, 2016 12:43 PM MST

• Feats of strength should replace the Electoral College.
      November 14, 2016 3:40 PM MST

There probably is some support for that on the "alt-right"...;-D...
      November 14, 2016 3:58 PM MST

• Some form of range voting or instant-runoff.
      November 14, 2016 3:41 PM MST

Personally, I'd like to see the existing 50%+1 winner-take-all system replaced with some form of proportional representation and the Executive Branch more beholden to the Legislative, but that's probably too heretical for most Americans, who view the Constitution as though it was written on stone tablets by God Himself.
      November 14, 2016 4:00 PM MST

• It's a tough one this... logic would say that the person who has the most votes should win.. if some people are in an area where there is less population so what.. that's their choice.. if they mostly vote a certain way, cool they will get their state run by the political party of their choice and their party will get a say in how the country as a whole is run...

On the other hand... i know it's all far from simple.. there has to be a better way though
      November 14, 2016 3:46 PM MST

@Addb -- As I noted, our courts uphold "one person, one vote" in EVERY setting except the Presidential election. But making the Presidential election a direct popular vote would pretty much mean candidates would ONLY address the concerns of people in densely populated areas. Like you, I think there's a better way, but I'm not sure what it is.
      November 14, 2016 4:02 PM MST

There is no need to eliminate the EC, and since it requires the ratification of 38 states (IIRC) is highly unlikely anyway, as the remedy for those unhappy with the current system was allowed for within the Constitution as written.  Yes, the Constitution requires an EC with electors proportional to each state's Congressional representation.  What the Constitution does not do is mandate how states allocate those electoral votes.  Currently, all but two states, as well as the District of Columbia, allocate them on an all-or-nothing basis.  If a state chose to, they could allocate them based upon the percentage of the vote each candidate received.  So if candidate A received 25% of the vote in Michigan, for example, they could receive 4 of the 16 electoral votes from Michigan, rather than zero, should Michigan decide to change how our electoral votes are allocated.  It was set up this way both to protect the states and to protect the people from what Alexis de Tocqueville aptly termed the "tyranny of the majority".     
      November 14, 2016 4:57 PM MST

@Bozette -- While I do NOT necessarily favor this, I've read of some political efforts to require their state EC electors follow the popular vote. In other words, let's say Pennsylvania had such a law. Even though Trump won the PA vote by about 68,000, any slate of "Trump" electors would be legall required to vote for HRC because HRC won the overall popular vote.

I would enjoy seeing such legislation take hold (at least for a time) simply because it would explode the heads of most "states' rights" advocates to see "states' rights" used to implement non-RAWF policies. But I think it would make presidential voting too inconsistent, because each major party would implement or repeal the law based upon how they expected to do in any given election cycle. I don't want any better-than-EC solution to be so dependent upon the political winds.

I don't think your proposal is practical because it would inevitably become a geography-based solution (as Kansas and New Hampshire use) with the same implicit problems as the EC, or it would become a round-off problem. Let's look at Hawaii, with its whopping 4 electoral votes.  The popular vote went HRC 62%, Trump 30%, minor candidates 4%, 3%, 2%, and less. How do you allocate the 4 electoral votes proportionately? No matter how you do it, someone gets hosed.

But I thank you for your thoughtful reply.
      November 14, 2016 5:47 PM MST

Actually, SKOS, I made no proposal.  I simply factually stated that there is no Constitutional mandate as to how states apportion their electoral votes.  I gave an example of an alternative to the standard all-or-nothing method used in all but two states today, but I did not propose it.  States could choose to apportion them as Maine and Nebraska currently do, or in an entirely different manner.  Point being, there are options available within the current system of electoral votes.    
      November 14, 2016 6:52 PM MST

OK, thank you for the clarfication.
      November 14, 2016 6:58 PM MST

Actually, OS, it's Maine and Nebraska, not Kansas and New Hampshire, that do the proportional thing.
      November 14, 2016 9:51 PM MST

@StuB -- Thank you for the factual correction. I remembered it was one Great Plains state and one New England state, but I was too lazy to look it up to confirm the exact states.
      November 14, 2016 11:05 PM MST

I had already named them above.
      November 14, 2016 11:08 PM MST

@Bozette -- Whoops! Upon further review, you also did name the two non-winner-take-all states. The only things I can say in mitigation for my inattention are:

1) I fell while hiking today and am a little banged up. Perhaps that caused my cognition to slip a bit.

and

2) Because Maine and Nebraska are low-population states, their alternative EC allocation schemes have not yet fundamentally altered election outcomes (it would take a less-than-10 electoral votes margin to make their practices significant), I didn't assign much mental weight to the details.

But I stand doubly corrected on which states allocate electoral votes in a non-standard fashion.
      November 14, 2016 11:20 PM MST