Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Jobs » Do you put God first? See what happens

Do you put God first? See what happens

http://www.experienceproject.com/stories/Know-God-Blesses-Us-When-We-Tithe/7658873

And those who haven't read the other story.

I was young with two small kids. My husband decided to move in with a girl he met at the store. I had a part time job making $400 a month. I prayed to God to give me wisdom. He told me in my heart, and in the Bible to put God first in everything even my money, so I did. I gave 10 % to the church which was going to make me low on my rent in 3 weeks. But in the Bible, book of Micah, it says "I challenge you to trust me, give me your first and I will pour down heaven for you" so I trusted him. After 2 weeks I received a knock on my door. A lady that I had given a ride to visit her friend in a nursing home a couple of times had died she said, and she wanted to give me all the money from the gift she had inherited from her friend $22,000. I could pay my rent. God never fails us...I have challenged God by putting all my eggs in Jesus basket. It was the right basket!

Posted - July 18, 2016

Responses

Non belief makes God to simply disappear.
      July 20, 2016 11:36 AM MDT

You can wish that God is not real, but wishing it wont make him go away if he is real.

July 20, 2016 12:57 PM MDT

Jesus says

"I am the way, the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through me"

July 20, 2016 1:02 PM MDT

All the Apostles had a choice to lie or tell the truth and die. They were beheaded/ crucified  rather than lie and say they did not see Jesus raise Lazarus from the dead after rotting and stinking, heal blind and sick, and was himself raised from the dead in front of them. They were willing to die for their testimony. It was not a lie!

July 20, 2016 1:11 PM MDT

Non belief is not wishing. It's lack of evidence for any claim that God /supernatural exists.
      July 20, 2016 1:25 PM MDT

The Apostles are historical figures. There is much evidence that they lived and travelled and wrote letters besides the Bible. Did the Apostles Really Die as Martyrs for their Faith?
    By Sean McDowell

“Even though they were crucified, stoned, stabbed, dragged, skinned and burned, every last apostle of Jesus proclaimed his resurrection until his dying breath, refusing to recant under pressure from the authorities. Therefore, their testimony is trustworthy and the resurrection is true.”

If you have followed popular–level arguments for the resurrection (or ever heard a sermon on the apostles), you’ve likely heard this argument. Growing up I heard it regularly and found it quite convincing. After all, why would the apostles of Jesus have died for their faith if it weren’t true?

Yet the question was always in the back of my mind — how do we really know they died as martyrs? For the past couple years I have been researching this question as part of my doctoral dissertation. And what I have found is fascinating!

While we can have more confidence in the martyrdoms of apostles such as Peter, Paul and James the brother of John (and probably Thomas and Andrew), there is much less evidence for many of the others (such as Matthias and James, son of Alphaeus). This evidence is late and filled with legendary accretion. This may come as a disappointment to some, but for the sake of the resurrection argument, it is not critical that we demonstrate that all of them died as martyrs. What is critical is their willingness to suffer for their faith and the lack of a contrary story that any of them recanted.

Historian Michael Licona captures the key point in his book The Resurrection of Jesus: A New Historiographical Approach: “After Jesus’ death, the disciples endured persecution, and a number of them experienced martyrdom. The strength of their conviction indicates that they were not just claiming Jesus had appeared to them after rising from the dead. They really believed it. They willingly endangered themselves by publicly proclaiming the risen Christ.”

Here are the key facts:

First, the apostles were eyewitnesses of the risen Jesus. When a replacement was chosen for Judas, one necessary criterion was that the person had seen the risen Lord (Acts 1:21–22). Paul and James the brother of Jesus were also eyewitnesses (1 Cor. 15:3–8). Their convictions were not based on secondhand testimony, but from the belief that they had seen the resurrected Christ with their own eyes. This makes the disciples’ willingness to die different from Muslim martyrs, who certainly sincerely believe in Islam, but base their belief on secondhand testimony.

Second, early Christians were persecuted for their faith. John the Baptist was imprisoned and beheaded (Matt. 14:1–11). Jesus was crucified. Stephen was stoned to death after his witness before the Sanhedrin (Acts 6–8). And Herod Agrippa killed James the brother of John (Acts 12:12), which led to the departure of the rest of the Twelve from Jerusalem. The first statewide persecution of Christians was under Nero (AD 64), as reported by Tacitus (Annals 15.44:2–5) and Suetonius (Nero 16.2). Although persecution was sporadic and local, from this point forward Christians could be arrested and killed for proclaiming the name of Jesus. And many of them were.

Third, the apostles were willing to suffer for their faith. This is certainly true of Paul, who recounts the suffering he endured, which included being whipped, beaten, stoned, shipwrecked, near starvation and in danger from various people and places (2 Cor. 6:4–9). Speaking for the apostles, after being threatened by the religious leaders, Peter and John say, “For we cannot but speak of what we have seen and heard” (Acts 4:20). The apostles are then thrown in prison, beaten for their faith, but they continued to preach and teach the gospel (Acts 5:17–42).

While the evidence of martyrdom is far better for some of the apostles than others, the evidence for Peter is particularly strong. The earliest evidence is found in John 21:18–19, which was written about 30 years after Peter’s death. Bart Ehrman, in his book Peter, Paul, & Mary Magdalene: The Followers of Jesus in History and Legend, agrees that Peter is being told he will die as a martyr. Other evidence for Peter’s martyrdom can be found in early church fathers such as Clement of Rome, Ignatius, Dionysius of Corinth, Irenaeus, Tertullian and more. The early, consistent and unanimous testimony is that Peter died as a martyr.

This does not prove that the resurrection is true. But it shows the depth of the apostles’ convictions. They were not liars. They truly believed Jesus rose from the grave and they were willing to give their lives for it.

Sean McDowell (’98, M.A. ’03) is a popular author and speaker, and the newest faculty member in Biola’s M.A. program in Christian apologetics. Find him online at seanmcdowell.org.

July 20, 2016 10:38 PM MDT

Julius Caesar — One of the most celebrated and trusted historical figures. Caesar lived from 100-44 BC and the earliest manuscript copy of his writings dates back to 900 AD, putting our best evidence of Caesar ever existing 1,000 years after his death. And there are 10 copies of ancient manuscripts of Caesar’s Gallic Wars. (source)   So if you question the Bible based on when it was written, being “translated so many times” (it was not – we still have the same Greek manuscripts today) and still question whether Jesus existed, then you must also be really sure that Julius Caesar and Plato were completely fictional characters and never really existed.

July 20, 2016 11:00 PM MDT

Psalm 37:25 . KJ21. I ... yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging for bread.

July 21, 2016 8:58 AM MDT

The Apostles are historical figures. There is much evidence that they lived and travelled and wrote letters besides the Bible. Did the Apostles Really Die as Martyrs for their Faith?
    By Sean McDowell

“Even though they were crucified, stoned, stabbed, dragged, skinned and burned, every last apostle of Jesus proclaimed his resurrection until his dying breath, refusing to recant under pressure from the authorities. Therefore, their testimony is trustworthy and the resurrection is true.”

If you have followed popular–level arguments for the resurrection (or ever heard a sermon on the apostles), you’ve likely heard this argument. Growing up I heard it regularly and found it quite convincing. After all, why would the apostles of Jesus have died for their faith if it weren’t true?

Yet the question was always in the back of my mind — how do we really know they died as martyrs? For the past couple years I have been researching this question as part of my doctoral dissertation. And what I have found is fascinating!

While we can have more confidence in the martyrdoms of apostles such as Peter, Paul and James the brother of John (and probably Thomas and Andrew), there is much less evidence for many of the others (such as Matthias and James, son of Alphaeus). This evidence is late and filled with legendary accretion. This may come as a disappointment to some, but for the sake of the resurrection argument, it is not critical that we demonstrate that all of them died as martyrs. What is critical is their willingness to suffer for their faith and the lack of a contrary story that any of them recanted.

Historian Michael Licona captures the key point in his book The Resurrection of Jesus: A New Historiographical Approach: “After Jesus’ death, the disciples endured persecution, and a number of them experienced martyrdom. The strength of their conviction indicates that they were not just claiming Jesus had appeared to them after rising from the dead. They really believed it. They willingly endangered themselves by publicly proclaiming the risen Christ.”

Here are the key facts:

First, the apostles were eyewitnesses of the risen Jesus. When a replacement was chosen for Judas, one necessary criterion was that the person had seen the risen Lord (Acts 1:21–22). Paul and James the brother of Jesus were also eyewitnesses (1 Cor. 15:3–8). Their convictions were not based on secondhand testimony, but from the belief that they had seen the resurrected Christ with their own eyes. This makes the disciples’ willingness to die different from Muslim martyrs, who certainly sincerely believe in Islam, but base their belief on secondhand testimony.

Second, early Christians were persecuted for their faith. John the Baptist was imprisoned and beheaded (Matt. 14:1–11). Jesus was crucified. Stephen was stoned to death after his witness before the Sanhedrin (Acts 6–8). And Herod Agrippa killed James the brother of John (Acts 12:12), which led to the departure of the rest of the Twelve from Jerusalem. The first statewide persecution of Christians was under Nero (AD 64), as reported by Tacitus (Annals 15.44:2–5) and Suetonius (Nero 16.2). Although persecution was sporadic and local, from this point forward Christians could be arrested and killed for proclaiming the name of Jesus. And many of them were.

Third, the apostles were willing to suffer for their faith. This is certainly true of Paul, who recounts the suffering he endured, which included being whipped, beaten, stoned, shipwrecked, near starvation and in danger from various people and places (2 Cor. 6:4–9). Speaking for the apostles, after being threatened by the religious leaders, Peter and John say, “For we cannot but speak of what we have seen and heard” (Acts 4:20). The apostles are then thrown in prison, beaten for their faith, but they continued to preach and teach the gospel (Acts 5:17–42).

While the evidence of martyrdom is far better for some of the apostles than others, the evidence for Peter is particularly strong. The earliest evidence is found in John 21:18–19, which was written about 30 years after Peter’s death. Bart Ehrman, in his book Peter, Paul, & Mary Magdalene: The Followers of Jesus in History and Legend, agrees that Peter is being told he will die as a martyr. Other evidence for Peter’s martyrdom can be found in early church fathers such as Clement of Rome, Ignatius, Dionysius of Corinth, Irenaeus, Tertullian and more. The early, consistent and unanimous testimony is that Peter died as a martyr.

This does not prove that the resurrection is true. But it shows the depth of the apostles’ convictions. They were not liars. They truly believed Jesus rose from the grave and they were willing to give their lives for it.

Sean McDowell (’98, M.A. ’03) is a popular author and speaker, and the newest faculty member in Biola’s M.A. program in Christian apologetics. Find him online at seanmcdowell.org.

July 21, 2016 10:39 AM MDT

The article you posted Some1 is of one mans journey (mostly looking for Judas who killed himself because he realized that he had betrayed Jesus and he really was God.) He wanted to die after that. Would he be a testimony if his grave was found? It would be in a God forsaken place for sure.

The other apostles travelled into the world as missionaries before they were killed(Peter to Rome) Have you been to Rome? They would laugh you out of town if you said this street is named after a fictional figure. And that building and this painting and that letter, is fictional.  I walked on the same street as St. Peter.walked before he was killed. These are real historical people. There are many letters (The Bible most of all is still preserved from its ,some portions.) Here is a more reputable article from  National Geographic's

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/killing-jesus/articles/how-di...

July 21, 2016 11:25 PM MDT

I know enough about God that I know he doesn't need a cheerleader, a lawyer or a publicity agent.   Apparently that eludes you.

July 18, 2016 5:37 PM MDT

July 18, 2016 5:37 PM MDT

God wants us to share the hope that is in us.

July 18, 2016 5:51 PM MDT

Yes I wrote it a year ago or so first on EP.

July 18, 2016 5:52 PM MDT

God blesses us when we put him first.

July 18, 2016 5:53 PM MDT

There's your self-fulfilling prophecy talking again. Oy vey!
      July 18, 2016 5:54 PM MDT

How do you god is male or, for that matter, has any gender?
      July 18, 2016 5:55 PM MDT

He is the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

July 18, 2016 6:00 PM MDT

You can be sarcastic if you want. I care about you anyway!

July 18, 2016 6:01 PM MDT

God helps us if we put him first. He challenges us to try!

July 18, 2016 6:02 PM MDT

That's only true for you because you're a Catholic or some type of Christian. You really shouldn't proselytize and push your personal beliefs on a website like this. Those of us who are not Christian might find that offensive.

July 18, 2016 6:39 PM MDT

I am just a Christian who read my Bible and puts God first. I just love Him, and want to please Him.

July 19, 2016 12:37 AM MDT

What do you mean 'put God first'? How do you do that?
      July 19, 2016 1:22 AM MDT

He wants us to love him more than anyone or anything and trust him and then he will bless us. Start the day by thanking him for your blessings, when you get money give the first 10% to God (he says in the Bible we should spread the gospel and also help people) and be obedient even when we don't want to be.

Jesus says "Love God with all your heart mind and soul and treat people the way you want to be treated."

July 19, 2016 1:43 AM MDT