Discussion » Questions » Travel » What is the oldest thing you've seen in person? The Sphinx? Pyramids? Something else?

What is the oldest thing you've seen in person? The Sphinx? Pyramids? Something else?

Posted - November 3, 2017

Responses

Whoa! Where are they located Sbf? Whoa! 3.5 BILLION years old?  Whoa and wow! Did you take any photos? Were you awed by them? Are magnificently beautiful?  I guess you can't tear them down and build a parking structure or shopping center! SIGH. Thank you for your reply! :)
      November 4, 2017 2:07 AM MDT

They're examples of the earliest type of colony organism - fossils. Not exactly "beautiful" but they're the oldest verifiable evidence of life.
      November 4, 2017 2:39 AM MDT

Thank you for that info Sbf. :)
      November 5, 2017 1:50 AM MST

I wish I could see them up close...that would have been my answer.
      November 4, 2017 6:35 AM MDT

I have seen the Earth and they tell me that is 3.5 billion years old. No wait. 4.5 billion. Or maybe it was 6 billion. They keep changing their guess.
      November 3, 2017 11:18 PM MDT

Instinct says stonehenge or tumuli. But possibly just surroundings and views in the countryside. 
      November 6, 2017 2:27 AM MST

I've only seen Stonehenge on TV. I bet in person it would be totally overwhelming! Thank you for your reply Purplegem. I had to look up  "tumuli". :) Thanks for the new word!
      November 6, 2017 5:32 AM MST

It's not that big or overwhelming Rosie.. ....I've drove by it many times....it's only 100 yards or less from the road....
      November 6, 2017 5:52 AM MST

I think when you're far away from something NJ it develops a certain mystique. I mean if you drive by it all the time then it is just part of your normal landscape and nothing special. I've only ever seen it on the History Channel when there is something going on about mysterious ancient places. I think they look like sentinels placed in a particular configuration for a reason. Was that reason religious? I don't know if anyone actually KNOWS. They mostly just suppose. Thank you for your reply!  Boy you're sure lucky living where you do. When I lived in Massachusetts we lived near Walden Pond and we'd go and sit on the sand on a blanket and just admire it. I have the book "On Walden Pond" and it was really exciting to actually be there . :)
      November 6, 2017 6:01 AM MST

Now you are teaching me a new word - sentinels! No one knows for sure altho a few years ago they discovered there was a settlement very nearby and a causeway (which the main road happens to go across). The main theory still seems to be to do with the sun rising/setting between certain stones on the solstices. One theory is that it's perhaps the winter solstice not the summer solstice that was of more importance. It's interesting how there are stone circles across Europe and, I think the world. I like documentaries too. 
      November 6, 2017 7:58 AM MST

That makes me happy Purplegem. I learn new words every day when I'm on Answermug. Also historical events, geographical locations, things I've never heard before which I either look up in the dictionary or I Google it. Answermug is a great classroom for the curious. Wouldn't it be a kick if by some magic process we could go back in time and watch how they got there, who put them there and how they were used? SIGH. Only in a scifi story I expect. Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Friday to the Pg! :)
      November 10, 2017 5:22 AM MST

You're welcome. :-D Although they're not old compared to things other people are saying, they are man made, and as I said just the earth and some of the countyside views here would be similar (I live near Stonehenge). I actually visited a long time ago now and live closer to other ancient sites. You could not get up close to the stones (there is a rail around them). So, not really, altho I hear that is the case with the pyramids at giza (overwhelming in size). It's much more special when you can touch them. 
      November 6, 2017 7:53 AM MST

I know. Touching something that old would be very goosebumpy to me. Not that this is remotely analogous but when you go to auto shows they place some of the zippy exotic concept cars up on rotating platforms roped off so you cannot touch them much less open the door and get inside them. Thank you for your reply!  :)
      November 10, 2017 5:35 AM MST