Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » What reasons are given for removing Gods name from the Bible? Are any valid?

What reasons are given for removing Gods name from the Bible? Are any valid?

https://biblehub.com/psalms/110-1.htm
New International Version
Of David. A psalm. The LORD says to my lord: "Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet."

Posted - April 3, 2018

Responses

Not sure what your point is but those are verses often used by those trying to prove the 4th century trinity doctrine. If Jehovah's name was left in the Bible, there wouldn't be any confusion. Either way we know that there are those that are called gods indeed there are many gods but the Father is the only true God and for Christians, there is one God, the Father and he is the God and Father of Jesus. Notice that John's conclusion as to his writings is different than that of trinitarians.

(1 Corinthians 8:5, 6) For even though there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth, just as there are many “gods” and many “lords,” 6 there is actually to us one God, the Father, from whom all things are and we for him; and there is one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things are and we through him.
    (John 17:1-3) Jesus spoke these things, and raising his eyes to heaven, he said: “Father, the hour has come. Glorify your son so that your son may glorify you, 2 just as you have given him authority over all flesh, so that he may give everlasting life to all those whom you have given to him. 3 This means everlasting life, their coming to know you, the only true God, and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ.
    (John 14:28) You heard that I said to you, ‘I am going away and I am coming back to you.’ If you loved me, you would rejoice that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I am.
    (John 20:17) Jesus said to her: “Stop clinging to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. But go to my brothers and say to them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father and to my God and your God.’”
    (John 20:31) But these have been written down so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and because of believing, you may have life by means of his name.
    (John 10:36) do you say to me whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, ‘You blaspheme,’ because I said, ‘I am God’s Son’?
    (Revelation 3:12-14) “‘The one who conquers—I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God, and he will by no means go out from it anymore, and I will write upon him the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the New Jerusalem that descends out of heaven from my God, and my own new name. 13 Let the one who has an ear hear what the spirit says to the congregations.’ 14 “To the angel of the congregation in La·o·di·ceʹa write: These are the things that the Amen says, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation by God:

EDIT:
    See how using a translation with God's name helps eliminate confusion:
    (Isaiah 52:4-6) For this is what the Sovereign Lord Jehovah says: “At first my people went down to Egypt to live there as foreigners; Then As·syrʹi·a oppressed them without cause.”  5 “What, then, should I do here?” declares Jehovah. “For my people were taken for nothing. Those ruling over them keep howling in triumph,” declares Jehovah, “And constantly, all day long, my name is treated with disrespect.  6 For that reason my people will know my name; For that reason they will know in that day that I am the One speaking. Look, it is I!” This post was edited by texasescimo at April 3, 2018 5:10 PM MDT
      April 3, 2018 4:46 PM MDT

The bible shows that God's name was blasphemed. God saw this coming of cause and had a plan...

Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe. He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.

That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.  He came unto his own, and his own received him not.  But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.  And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

"To them he gave power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name, which were born not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, but of GOD. 

Matthew 23 - And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi.  But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.  And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

So do you think God would mind if I call him Father because there has been made so much confusion over his name? Considering I am his son, born of him?

This post was edited by kjames at April 3, 2018 5:38 PM MDT
      April 3, 2018 5:37 PM MDT

You are all over the place.
    Have you got a point?
    Are you saying that Jesus is the Father? 
    Do you agree with this:
    [In Jesus, Jehovah has provided an “Eternal Father” for those who hope to live forever on earth. Jesus is a replacement for the human father, Adam, who failed all his offspring so miserably. (Isaiah 9:6, 7) By accepting Jesus as our “Eternal Father,” exercising faith in him, we have a sure hope of everlasting life. Further, we thereby get ever closer to Jehovah God. As we have learned, striving to follow Jesus’ example day by day is the best possible way to obey this divine command: “Become imitators of God, as beloved children.”—Ephesians 5:1]

EDIT:
    God's name has been blasphemed. His enemies also try to hide His name but His followers including Jesus make it known.
    (Isaiah 52:5, 6) “What, then, should I do here?” declares Jehovah. “For my people were taken for nothing. Those ruling over them keep howling in triumph,” declares Jehovah, “And constantly, all day long, my name is treated with disrespect.  6 For that reason my people will know my name; For that reason they will know in that day that I am the One speaking. Look, it is I!”
    (Psalm 74:10) How long, O God, will the adversary keep taunting? Will the enemy treat your name with disrespect forever?
    (Psalm 74:18) Remember the enemy’s taunts, O Jehovah, How a foolish people treats your name with disrespect.
    (John 17:6) “I have made your name manifest to the men whom you gave me out of the world. They were yours, and you gave them to me, and they have observed your word.
    (John 17:26) I have made your name known to them and will make it known, so that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in union with them.” This post was edited by texasescimo at April 4, 2018 6:43 AM MDT
      April 3, 2018 6:14 PM MDT

Truth is no one knows the pronunciation of God's name, as it has been said by antibiotic and Tom - Yahweh, and Jehovah were used with the insertion of Adonai, which means that God's name is still YHVH, pronunciation unknown.  There are a million arguments on the internet over God's name, Jah, Yahweh, YHVH, Jehovah, Ieosus, Yahshuah, on and on.  There were no J's in Hebrew, so Yahweh, or Iahweh would be more accurate if you want to go back to the older text, this is admitted in the JW's books as antibiotic pointed out, so I am unsure why you feel the need to hammer home that it is Jehovah. Vowels weren't used in hebrew, they were classed as sacred, letters were written left to right, no spaces or punctuation marks.

Saint Jerome (340?-420), who published the Latin Vulgate version of the Bible, admitted: “When we translate the Hebrew into Latin, we are sometimes guided by conjecture.” Furthermore, Jean Le Clerc (1657-1736), a Swiss Protestant theologian and scholar, even went so far as to maintain that “the learned merely guess at the sense of the Old Testament in an infinity of places.”  This is in large part because of the ancient Hebrews’ failure to write down their vowels and of the language subsequently falling into disuse.  And the adding of the relatively modern vowel points, by a few belated Dark-Age rabbis, in order to make up for this deficit, naturally casts very great suspicion and doubts on how the Hebrew vowels were originally sounded and used.

The vowel points are comparatively modern 500 - 600 AD. Nobody today knows for sure how the original Hebrew was pronounced, regardless of the tales commonly propagated about Jewish rabbis carrying on an accurate oral tradition for thousands of years.  Our knowledge of the evolution of languages would almost certainly deny the likely possibility of such. If King Solomon were to walk through Jerusalem today and hear the Hebrew spoken there now, he would probably stop in astonishment, listen in and shake his head and conclude that he was in a foreign country.

So my point was, God knew his name was being blasphemed. However, things changed when Emanuel or Iesous, Yeshuah Joshua, Jesus, the word came down in the flesh and he made it real simple for us, how do we pray....

Our Father, who art in heaven,
    Hallowed be thy name,
    Thy kingdom come,
    Thy will be done,
    One earth as it is in heaven,
    Give us this day our daily bread,
    And forgive us our trespasses,
    As we forgive those who trespass against us,
    Lead us not in to temptation,
    But deliver us from evil.

Hence, my answer, I call him father for I am his son, as it says in scripture, John

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

The same was in the beginning with God.

All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.

The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.

He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.

That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

It's an amazing gift, it is a shame people bypass the message and bicker about what they cannot possibly know with the evolution of language and lost knowledge.

April 4, 2018 11:25 AM MDT

1) Still a bit vague on your point and didn't answer my questions like Are you saying that Jesus is the Father?

2) Also didn't way rather or not you agreed with:
    [In Jesus, Jehovah has provided an “Eternal Father” for those who hope to live forever on earth. Jesus is a replacement for the human father, Adam, who failed all his offspring so miserably. (Isaiah 9:6, 7) By accepting Jesus as our “Eternal Father,” exercising faith in him, we have a sure hope of everlasting life. Further, we thereby get ever closer to Jehovah God. As we have learned, striving to follow Jesus’ example day by day is the best possible way to obey this divine command: “Become imitators of God, as beloved children.”—Ephesians 5:1]

3) You also never answered the original question:
    [What reasons are given for removing Gods name from the Bible? Are any valid?]

4) Do you reject all of these theophoric names since they have been translated in to English?

5) Do you recognize Jesus and Joshua as valid names even though that's not how they were pronounced in the first century?

6) You don't think God's name was blasphemed after Jesus came?
    (Romans 2:24) For “the name of God is being blasphemed among the nations because of you,” just as it is written.
    (Revelation 16:9) And the people were scorched by the great heat, but they blasphemed the name of God, who has the authority over these plagues, and they did not repent and give glory to him.
      April 4, 2018 4:41 PM MDT

You are arguing over the removal of the name Jehovah which may not even be Gods' because of the nature and history of language and phonics, even your own books state that Yahweh is more accurate.

In the Hebrew bible the Tetragrammaton YHWH is used.  It is frequently anglicized as Jehovah and Yahweh and written in most English editions of the Bible as "the Lord" owing to the Jewish tradition viewing the divine name as increasingly too sacred to be uttered. It was thus replaced vocally in the synagogue ritual by the Hebrew word Adonai, which was translated as Kyrios in the Septuagint, the Greek version of the Hebrew Scriptures. The seven names of God that, once written, cannot be erased because of their holinessare the Tetragramnmation, EL, Elohim, Eloah, Elohai, El Shaddai, and Tzevaot. In addition, the name Jah—because it forms part of the Tetragrammaton—is similarly protected. This may be why it has been removed from translation, but the Hebrew bible still used YHWH, so you are asking about specific bibles, not all bibles.

As I've said before Father can be used, that is what Christ called him, and since we are also referred to as sons of God it would seem apt. This post was edited by kjames at April 4, 2018 6:24 PM MDT
      April 4, 2018 6:22 PM MDT

Quote: [You are arguing over the removal of the name Jehovah which may not even be Gods' because of the nature and history of language and phonics, even your own books state that Yahweh is more accurate.]

Wrong, I am not the one that initially brought up which form is correct. Notice my original question:
    [What reasons are given for removing Gods name from the Bible? Are any valid?]

Quote: [It was thus replaced vocally in the synagogue ritual by the Hebrew word Adonai, which was translated as Kyrios in the Septuagint, the Greek version of the Hebrew Scriptures.]

[The New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology (Volume 2, page 512) says: “Recent textual discoveries cast doubt on the idea that the compilers of the LXX [Septuagint] translated the tetragrammaton YHWH by kyrios. The oldest LXX MSS (fragments) now available to us have the tetragrammaton written in Heb[rew] characters in the G[ree]k text.]

https://www.eliyah.com/lxx.html (If this link don't work, try taking the 's' out of 'https' in the following:)

https://www.eliyah.com/lxx.html

Tetragrammaton Found in Earliest Copies of the Septuagint

Because of the detailed nature of the below graphics, they will take a while to load unless you are on a fast connection. Below are 2 examples of where the Tetragrammaton has been found in ancient copies of the Septuagint. The Septuagint is a 3rd to 2nd Century BCE Greek translation of the Hebrew Scriptures. The below fragments are evidence that the Septuagint originally contained the name Yahweh.  

The first is an ancient fragment of the Septuagint dated between 50 BCE and 50 CE (AD). If this dating is correct, it would have been written near the time of Yahushua's ministry. The name of these fragments are "Nahal Hever Minor Prophets" because they are fragments of Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah and Zechariah found in the Nahal Hever cave, south of Qumran. The Tetragrammaton is indicated with the large black arrow. 

Nothing wrong with calling God our Father. The problem is the smoke screens and frivolous reasons used to remove God's name from his inspired word. Some of the untaught now think that Jesus is The God that he was with in the beginning.

EDIT: 
    Notice in 2 Kings 12:18 the similarities in the Hebrew letters reading from right to left. English:  Jehoshaphat, Jehoash and Jehovah should all start out the same with Jeho. If Jehovah is not valid then Jehoshaphat and Jehoash are not valid either.. Hebrew transliteration with J's.

(No telling how the copy and paste will show up with the Hebrew characters so recommend going to the link.)
    https://qbible.com/hebrew-name-king-james/2-kings/12.html#18

12:18 And Yæhô´äš יְהוֹאָשׁº kingº of Yæhûðà יְהוּדָהº tookººº allº the hallowed thingsº thatº Yæhôšäfä+ יְהוֹשָׁפָט,º and Yæhôrämיְהוֹרָם,º and ´Áçazyà אֲחַזיָה,º his fathers,º kingsº of Yæhûðà יְהוּדָה,º had dedicated,ºº and his own hallowed things,º and allº the goldº[that was] foundºº in the treasuresº of the houseº of Yähwè יָהוֶה,º and in the king'sº house,º and sentºº [it] to Çázä´ël חֲזָאֵלº kingº of´Áräm אֲרָם:º and he went awayºº fromºº Yærûšälaim יְרוּשָׁלִַם.º This post was edited by texasescimo at April 5, 2018 4:58 AM MDT
      April 4, 2018 7:09 PM MDT

As you said the Septuagint only had God's correct name YHWH written TWICE, and the JW's have added the name Jehovah 237 times to their bible where it NEVER was, and so they are guilty of adding to the text, and that there was NO evidence anywhere that YHWH was used in the New Testament.  Hebrew was the language of the Jewish Synagogue in the first century. This fact, however only strengthens the fact that God did not want Christians to continue using YHWH since none of the 27 New Testament books ever used it.  So maybe your question should be why have the Jehovah Witnesses deemed it necessary to add to the bible which is against....

1 Peter 23-25 ?
    Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you. 

YHWH was used in Exodus 3:14 and Isaiah 42:8, the name was not pronounced because of the reverence sacredness of the name and fear of violating it and so it was translated as Lord, or Adonai depending on proximity, or God. For many years it has been known YHWH is Yahweh, but no pronunciation is known.  Pronunciation might not worry Jehovah Witnesses quote

Watchtower publication The Divine Name states:

"Even though the modern pronunciation Jehovah might not be exactly the way it was pronounced originally, this in no way detracts from the importance of the name. While many translators favor the pronunciation Yahweh, the New World Translation and also a number of other translations continue the use of the form Jehovah because of people's familiarity with it for centuries." The Divine Name That Will Endure Forever p.10

Watchtower postulates that the pronunciation is not important, since Jehovah would have preserved the pronunciation if it was important.

"Thus it is evident that the original pronunciation of God's name is no longer known. Nor is it really important. If it were, then God Himself would have made sure that it was preserved for us to use. The important thing is to use God's name according to its conventional pronunciation in our own language." The Divine Name That Will Endure Forever p.7

But the Jews take mispronunciation very seriously as the bible states

Exodus 20:7 Exodus 20:7 New International Version (NIV)

“You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.

Leviticus 24:16
    And he that blasphemeth the name of the Lord, he shall surely be put to death, and all the congregation shall certainly stone him: as well the stranger, as he that is born in the land, when he blasphemeth the name of the Lord, shall be put to death.

History of the name Jehovah

It is interesting to understand how the word Jehovah was derived, as the history of the word shows why the word is incorrect. In an unfortunate stroke of the pen the Watchtower Society chose to adopt the rendition of YHWH that has least resemblance to the original name and incorporates the very reason the exact pronunciation is unknown.

Ancient Hebrew did not contain vowels and so the pronunciation of words was handed down. In order to preserve the pronunciation of the Hebrew language, the Masoretes created a system for introducing vowels into the Hebrew language during the ninth century A.D. However, when it came to YHWH, rather than putting the correct vowel signs, they put vowel signs for Adonai (Lord) or Elohim (God), in order to remind the reader to use the word Lord or God instead of the name of God. Adonai (Lord) was predominantly used, however, in passages where Adonai and YHWH appeared together, Elohim was used instead, to avoid repetition of the word Lord.

As proposed by the 19th-century Hebrew scholar Gesenius, it is generally accepted that mixing the vowels for Lord and God with the consonants YHWH that led to the manufacture of the hybrid word Jehovah. Hence, it was the effort to avoid pronouncing God's name that led to the manufacture of the hybrid word Jehovah.

"The form Jehovah is of late medieval origin; it is a combination of the consonants of the Divine Name and the vowels attached to it by the Masoretes but belonging to an entirely different word. The sound of Y is represented by J and the sound of W by V, as in Latin. The word "Jehovah" does not accurately represent any form of the Name ever used in Hebrew." Revised Standard Version pp.6-7
    "Yahweh-the personal name of the God of the Israelites . . . The Masoretes, Jewish biblical scholars of the Middle Ages, replaced the vowel signs that had appeared above or beneath the consonants of YHWH with the vowel signs of Adonai or of Elohim. Thus, the artificial name Jehovah (YeHoWaH) came into being. Although Christian scholars after the Rendssance and Reformation periods used the term Jehovah for YHWH, in the 19th and 20th centuries biblical scholars again began to use the form Yahweh. Early Christian writers, Such as Clement of Alexandria in the 2nd century, had used the form Yahweh, thus this pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton was never really lost. Greek transcriptions also indicated that Yhwh Should be pronounced Yahweh." Encyclopedia Britannica (Micropedia, vol. 10)

In the Hebrew Bible the Jews wrote the consonants of the Tetragrammaton as YHWH, but out of reverence for the sacred name of God (or out of fear of violating Exod. 20:7; Lev. 24:16), they vocalized and pronounced it as Adonai or occasionally as Elohim. It is unfortunate, then, that the name was transliterated into German and ultimately into English as Jehovah (which is the way the name is represented in the American Standard Version of 1901), for this conflate form represents the vowels of Adonai superimposed on the consonants of Yahweh, and it was never intended by the Jews to be read as Yehowah (or Jehovah).

And here is what Jew's think of the name Jehovah....

The Jewish Encyclopaedia explains the word Jehovah in a similar way. jewishencyclopedia.com (25/9/2005)

"A mispronunciation (introduced by Christian theologians, but almost entirely disregarded by the Jews) of the Hebrew "Yhwh," the (ineffable) name of God (the Tetragrammaton or "Shem ha-Meforash"). This pronunciation is grammatically impossible; it arose through pronouncing the vowels of the "?ere" (marginal reading of the Masorites:   = "Adonay") with the consonants of the "ketib" (text-reading: = "Yhwh")"

This post was edited by kjames at April 5, 2018 2:12 PM MDT
      April 5, 2018 2:08 PM MDT

Should change your user name to context dodger or subject changer as you never stay on the subject or answer questions but evade and look to those that reject Jesus as your authority.

Where did I say "the Septuagint only had God's correct name YHWH written TWICE" and what does that have to do with YHWH in the New Testament?

The older copies of the Septuagint have the tetragrammaton in them consistently, not just the two examples posted. 

How do you get Yehowah or Jehovah using the vowels from Adonay?

Quote: [..."The form Jehovah is of late medieval origin; it is a combination of the consonants of the Divine Name and the vowels attached to it by the Masoretes but belonging to an entirely different word. The sound of Y is represented by J and the sound of W by V, as in Latin. The word "Jehovah" does not accurately represent any form of the Name ever used in Hebrew.Revised Standard Version pp.6-7...]
    Does Jehoshophat, Jehoash, Jesus, Joshua accurately represent the forms of their names used in Hebrew? Why or why not (Also try to avoid hypocrisy and apply the same rules to Jehovah and see where you end up)

Quote: [...YHWH was used in Exodus 3:14 and Isaiah 42:8, the name was not pronounced because of the reverence sacredness of the name and fear of violating it and so it was translated as Lord, or Adonai depending on proximity, or God. For many years it has been known YHWH is Yahweh, but no pronunciation is known.  Pronunciation might not worry Jehovah Witnesses quote...]
    Do you just make stuff up? YHWH is not in Exodus 3:14.

In supporting non-scriptural Jewish and Catholic traditions, you would do well to read this:
    (Matthew 15:3-6) In reply he said to them: “Why do you overstep the commandment of God because of your tradition? 4 For example, God said, ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘Let the one who speaks abusively of his father or mother be put to death.’ 5 But you say, ‘Whoever says to his father or mother: “Whatever I have that could benefit you is a gift dedicated to God,” 6 he need not honor his father at all.’ So you have made the word of God invalid because of your tradition.
    (Matthew 23:23-38) “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because you give the tenth of the mint and the dill and the cumin, but you have disregarded the weightier matters of the Law, namely, justice and mercy and faithfulness. These things it was necessary to do, yet not to disregard the other things. 24 Blind guides, who strain out the gnat but gulp down the camel! 25 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because you cleanse the outside of the cup and of the dish, but inside they are full of greediness and self-indulgence. 26 Blind Pharisee, cleanse first the inside of the cup and of the dish, so that the outside of it may also become clean. 27 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because you resemble whitewashed graves, which outwardly indeed appear beautiful but inside are full of dead men’s bones and of every sort of uncleanness. 28 In the same way, on the outside you appear righteous to men, but inside you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness. 29 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because you build the graves of the prophets and decorate the tombs of the righteous ones, 30 and you say, ‘If we had lived in the days of our forefathers, we would not have shared with them in shedding the blood of the prophets.’ 31 Therefore, you are testifying against yourselves that you are sons of those who murdered the prophets. 32 Well, then, fill up the measure of your forefathers. 33 “Serpents, offspring of vipers, how will you flee from the judgment of Ge·henʹna? 34 For this reason, I am sending to you prophets and wise men and public instructors. Some of them you will kill and execute on stakes, and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues and persecute from city to city, 35 so that there may come upon you all the righteous blood spilled on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zech·a·riʹah son of Bar·a·chiʹah, whom you murdered between the sanctuary and the altar. 36 Truly I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation. 37 “Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the killer of the prophets and stoner of those sent to her—how often I wanted to gather your children together the way a hen gathers her chicks under her wings! But you did not want it. 38 Look! Your house is abandoned to you.

EDIT
    :
    Can you go back and answer the other questions or make a comprehensive reply to my reply to your previous absurdity?
    This post was edited by texasescimo at April 5, 2018 2:39 PM MDT
      April 5, 2018 2:37 PM MDT

I give up, I've answered your question you must be reading it through your perception. The reason it was interpreted to Lord, Adonai and God, not removed was because YHWH is classed as a sacred name, and they were fearful of mispronunciation which is against the bible/Torah, even when you read you say the name, however the JW's in their own magazine admit they mispronounce it and don't seem to worry about it.  They don't care that they are reading "Jehovah" when it is neither accurate or the right pronunciation.  Nor do they worry about adding to the bible Jehovah (an incorrect pronunciation 237 times where it NEVER was, which is also against the bible as in Peter.

So I guess no matter how many people give you the answer (which they have) you aren't prepared to accept it. This post was edited by kjames at April 5, 2018 3:24 PM MDT
      April 5, 2018 3:21 PM MDT

Jehovah is not Hebrew nor a mis-pronunciation of Hebrew. Jehovah is English just like Jehoshaphat, Jehoash, Jesus, Joshua etc, English translation of Hebrew words all of which only had consonants in the original Hebrew writings.

(NOTE, I am not the one that brought up the so-called 'New Testament')
    If the name has not been tampered with, why do different manuscripts and translations say different things in certain verses such as Acts 8:22; 10:33; 12:24; 13:44; 15:40; 19:20; James 1:12 and a few other places?

For the last 2,000 years, many Hebrew copies of the Christian Greek Scriptures have retained a form of the Divine Name. Not something new added by JW's. I'd be more worried about the removal of about 7,000 times than I would about the restoration of about 200 times.

https://biblehub.com/aramaic-plain-english/acts/2.htm
    Aramaic Bible in Plain English
    Acts 2:20"The sun shall be turned into darkness and the moon into blood until the great and awesome day of THE LORD JEHOVAH will come."*

21"And it shall be that everyone who calls on the name of THE LORD JEHOVAH shall receive life.' " *

n
    https://www.eliyah.com/Scripture/
    Restored Name King James Version
    Acts 2::20 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and terrible day of  come:

2:21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of  shall be saved.

n
    https://yahushua.net/scriptures/acts2.htm
    Acts 2:20 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and terrible day of YHWH come:

2:21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of YHWH shall be saved.

Notice that the Catholic Church admits that the Divine name was removed from the Greek just like from the Hebrew. 
    Here is an article that originally appeared in catholicnews but no longer there.
    https://www.unamsanctamcatholicam.com/liturgy/liturgical-quod-libets/95-liturgy/liturgical-quod-libets/288-yahweh-in-the-liturgy.html
    n
    https://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/0804119.htm
    HYMNS-YAHWEH Aug-12-2008 (840 words) xxxn
    No 'Yahweh' in songs, prayers at Catholic Masses, Vatican rules
    By Nancy Frazier O'Brien
    Catholic News Service
    WASHINGTON (CNS) -- In the not-too-distant future, songs such as "You Are Near," "I Will Bless Yahweh" and "Rise, O Yahweh" will no longer be part of the Catholic worship experience in the United States.
    At the very least, the songs will be edited to remove the word "Yahweh" -- a name of God that the Vatican has ruled must not "be used or pronounced" in songs and prayers during Catholic Masses.

The Tetragrammaton is YHWH, the four consonants of the ancient Hebrew name for God.
    "As an expression of the infinite greatness and majesty of God, it was held to be unpronounceable and hence was replaced during the reading of sacred Scripture by means of the use of an alternate name: 'Adonai,' which means 'Lord,'" the Vatican letter said. Similarly, Greek translations of the Bible used the word "Kyrios" and Latin scholars translated it to "Dominus"; both also mean Lord.

n

If the name is ineffable, how did they call on it, mention it in prayers, and sing songs out loud with it?
    What scripture do you think Romans is referring to?
    Why would Jesus condemn the apostate Jews of his day for following unscriptural traditions, if he was going to do the same? 
    Obviously he had to make God's name known to those that would hide it then just like today. 
    (John 17:6) “I have made your name manifest to the men whom you gave me out of the world. They were yours, and you gave them to me, and they have observed your word.
    (John 17:26) I have made your name known to them and will make it known, so that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in union with them.”

(Romans 10:11-16) For the scripture says: “No one who rests his faith on him will be disappointed.” 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek. There is the same Lord over all, who is rich toward all those calling on him. 13 For “everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.” 14 However, how will they call on him if they have not put faith in him? How, in turn, will they put faith in him about whom they have not heard? How, in turn, will they hear without someone to preach? 15 How, in turn, will they preach unless they have been sent out? Just as it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who declare good news of good things!” 16 Nevertheless, they did not all obey the good news. For Isaiah says: “Jehovah, who has put faith in the thing heard from us?”
    (Romans 10:20, 21) But Isaiah becomes very bold and says: “I was found by those who were not seeking me; I became known to those who were not asking for me.” 21 But he says regarding Israel: “All day long I have spread out my hands toward a disobedient and obstinate people.”
    (Joel 2:32) And everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved; For on Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there will be those who escape, just as Jehovah has said, The survivors whom Jehovah calls.”
      April 5, 2018 4:15 PM MDT

I AM has not been removed from the NRSV, and that's the definitive. Or the Hebrew and Greek versions.
      April 3, 2018 6:58 PM MDT

"I AM" is not God's name nor is it a proper translation of Exodus 3:14. (Assuming you are trying to pair Ex 3:14 with John 8:58 as if Jesus was saying that he is Jehovah like many trinitarians like to say. Staying with the context, verse 15 has God's name to time indefinite and John 8 is just answering how Jesus saw Abraham. 

(Exodus 3:14, 15) So God said to Moses: “I Will Become What I Choose to Become.” And he added: “This is what you are to say to the Israelites, ‘I Will Become has sent me to you.’” 15 Then God said once more to Moses: “This is what you are to say to the Israelites, ‘Jehovah the God of your forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.’ This is my name forever, and this is how I am to be remembered from generation to generation.
    (John 8:53-58) You are not greater than our father Abraham, who died, are you? The prophets also died. Who do you claim to be?” 54 Jesus answered: “If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father who glorifies me, the one who you say is your God. 55 Yet you have not known him, but I know him. And if I said I do not know him, I would be like you, a liar. But I do know him and am observing his word. 56 Abraham your father rejoiced greatly at the prospect of seeing my day, and he saw it and rejoiced.” 57 Then the Jews said to him: “You are not yet 50 years old, and still you have seen Abraham?” 58 Jesus said to them: “Most truly I say to you, before Abraham came into existence, I have been.”

Many say that "I am" means "I am God". Does "I am not" mean "I am not God"?
    Some lay claim to 'ego eimi' as being reserved for God if you are one of those:

At 1Cor 15:10, Paul says "I am what I am". The Greek apparantly does not use "ego eimi" but in English it sure sounds closer to Ex 3:14 than John 8:58 does with the double "I am":    https://scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/NTpdf/1co15.pdf

https://scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/NTpdf/luk1.pdf
    https://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm?b=Luk&c=1&t=KJV#conc/19
     Luke 1:19 "And the angel answering said unto him, I am Gabriel.."  Apparantly, in some Greek MS, ego eimi is used.
     of an angel as seen in both scripture4all and blueletterbible.

https://scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/NTpdf/joh9.pdf 
    https://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm?t=DBY&b=Jhn&c=9&v=1&x=41&y=13#conc/9   John 9:9 with the blind man.

From a 1974 Watchtower: [No. We know that they do not because at Exodus 3:14 the Greek Septuagint Version (the translation that was often quoted by the apostles in the first century C.E.) reads, e·go′ ei·mi′ ho Ohn′,“I am the Being.” This is quite different from the simple use of the words e·go′ ei·mi′ (I am) at John 8:58. The verb ei·mi′, at John 8:58, is evidently in the historical present, as Jesus was speaking about himself in relation to Abraham’s past. Numerous translators indicate this in their renderings. For example, An American Translation reads: “I existed before Abraham was born!”]

Acts 22:3  
    Main text: "Ἐγώ μὲν εἰμι" Interlinear: 
       I           ἐγώ egō  
      am        εἰμί eimi
      verily      μέν men

The following use "ego eimi" in the interlinear at blueletterbible:
    https://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm?b=Jhn&c=3&t=KJV#conc/28 Used of John the Baptist in Blueletterbible interlinear

https://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm?b=Jhn&c=12&t=KJV#conc/26  John 12:26  "If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will [my] Father honour."  At John 12:26 ego eimi is used of Jesus. If it means that Jesus is God, does it mean that his servant will be God also?

https://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm?b=Jhn&c=18&t=KJV#conc/17 At John 18:17, Peter said ego eimi.
    https://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm?b=Act&c=13&t=KJV#conc/25 Same thing with John at Acts 13:25

https://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm?b=Act&c=21&t=KJV#conc/39 Ego eimi is used of Paul at Acts 21:39
    https://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm?b=Act&c=22&t=KJV#conc/3 Ego eimi is used of Paul at Acts 22:3

At John 1:27 and John 8:23 John and Jesus both say “I am not” (ego ouk eimi)

https://scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/NTpdf/joh1.pdf  John 1:27 Of John the Baptist

ego ouk eimi

I Not Am

I am not

https://scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/NTpdf/joh8.pdf    John 8:23 Of Jesus

ego ouk eimi

I Not Am

I am not

April 3, 2018 7:40 PM MDT

Your Hebrew is messed up. I AM, אני is in Exodus. I will become, אני אהיה, is not.
      April 3, 2018 7:47 PM MDT

Nah, translators know whats popular so they put a slant on it in their translations. Some moderns translate correctly in their footnotes.

https://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/OTpdf/exo3.pdf

אֶ הְ יֶה
    aeie
    I-shall-become
      April 3, 2018 8:47 PM MDT

It's a matter of tense. The verb in the Hebrew bible is present tense, the qualifier to correct to future tense is absent. If you haven't studied English grammar (it's generally not taught any more and hasn't been for decades) then it's really tough to follow foreign grammar.
      April 3, 2018 9:07 PM MDT

Interesting, every concordance and such that I have looked at shows something like 'to be' or 'to become'. Even newer translations admit that in their footnotes.

[“I SHALL PROVE TO BE WHAT I SHALL PROVE TO BE.” Heb., אֶהְיֶֽה אֲשֶֽׁר אֶהְיֶֽה (ʼEh·yehʹ ʼAsherʹ ʼEh·yehʹ), God’s own self-designation; Leeser, “I WILL BE THAT I WILL BE”; Rotherham, “I Will Become whatsoever I please.” Gr., E·goʹ ei·mi ho on, “I am The Being,” or, “I am The Existing One”; Lat., eʹgo sum qui sum, “I am Who I am.” ʼEh·yehʹ comes from the Heb. verb ha·yahʹ, “become; prove to be.” Here ʼEh·yehʹ is in the imperfect state, first person sing., meaning “I shall become”; or, “I shall prove to be.” The reference here is not to God’s self-existence but to what he has in mind to become toward others. Compare Ge 2:4 ftn, “Jehovah,” where the kindred, but different, Heb. verb ha·wahʹ appears in the divine name.]

Have you never heard of the tetragrammaton? God's name removed about 7,000 times and supposedly a forced "I AM" twice is his name. 

Is there any other place where it is translated as "I AM"? Does any translation render it consistently as "I AM"? What motive could there be one way or another? Oh yes, trying to prove the trinity. 
    https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=H1961&t=KJV

April 4, 2018 6:19 AM MDT

I don't know what Bible you read, but I am sick and tired of people referring to this book as THE BIBLE.

There are hundreds of re-writes. 

God is on every page of the real deals.  Whether written in name or implied.  Every freaking page.
      April 4, 2018 6:24 PM MDT

Try reading a Bible and then maybe you can give a coherent and relevant comment to a Bible question. 
      April 4, 2018 6:37 PM MDT

I think that God might generally prefer that we talk to Him directly rather than arguing about what to call Him.

April 5, 2018 3:29 PM MDT

If you think that, then why do you spend time arguing? At least you are not likely murdering anyone that disagrees with you like a certain Church has a history of doing. Kudos for that.

Like Jesus, Christians also make God's name known. 

(John 17:26) I have made your name known to them and will make it known, so that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in union with them.”

Notice that God's name was to remain forever.
    (Exodus 3:15) Then God said once more to Moses: “This is what you are to say to the Israelites, ‘Jehovah the God of your forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.’ This is my name forever, and this is how I am to be remembered from generation to generation.
    (Psalm 83:18) May people know that you, whose name is Jehovah, You alone are the Most High over all the earth.
    (Isaiah 42:8) I am Jehovah. That is my name; I give my glory to no one else, Nor my praise to graven images.
      April 5, 2018 4:22 PM MDT

Why---well, every once in a while it becomes necessary to clean the pool when it gets dirty with errors. 

After the little kids are finished, one must purge the "brown cloud" that remains.
      April 6, 2018 7:33 PM MDT

I think my2cents has removed all traces of your brown cloud. 
    You really should try reading the Bible. It is more than just another book.

(2 Timothy 3:16) All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness,
      April 6, 2018 7:56 PM MDT

THE  BASIC  REASONS THAT TRANSLATORS
    REMOVED  GOD’S  NAME  FROM  THE  BIBLE : 

1. Anti-Semitic Feelings
       The Jewish God of the Jewish Messiah
       was hated and despised by the Greeks and Romans.
       When Christianity became a State Religion of Rome –
       All attempts to blot out the Hebrew origins of Jesus
       were employed – and Removing God’s Name from the Bible
       was a major attempt to obscure Jesus’ Jewish heritage.

“Well, be assured that the God that the Jews 
    worship – is the very same God that we worship
    Their sacred writings, the Law and the Prophets, 
    we revere and read aloud in our meetings. 
    And because we worship this God of the Jews, 
    the one thing we cannot be accused of is novelty.”
    –Glimpses Issue #139 : 
    Why Early Christians Were So Despised;
    Ken Curtis PH.D., Beth Jacobson,
    Diana Severance Ph.D., 
    Ann T. Snyder and Dan Graves. ©2003 
    by Christian History Institute. 
    “The Octavius of Minicius Felix” ;
    2nd century A.D.

2. Support of Trinitarian Doctrine
       When Rome voted to adopt the Trinity doctrine of
       the numerous Pagans in her empire – The Name of
       God – YHWH (translated Jehovah in English) –
       interfered and hindered the Newly Adopted teaching
       That Jesus was the Almighty God – Jehovah. 
       Rome paid her translators to remove God’s name
       almost Seven Thousand Times (7,000) from the Bible.

“In the first two centuries nearly all the 
    various readings of the New Testament came 
    into existence, the majority of them by 
    deliberate alteration of the text…in the 
    interests of (the trinity) dogma…”
    -the Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics;
     The Bible in the Church

“Codex B (Vaticanus)…was altered by a later hand
    in more than two thousand places.  Eusebius, therefore,
    is not without grounds for accusing the adherents 
    of….the newly-risen doctrine of the trinity 
    of falsifying the Bible…” 
    -(Fraternal Visitor 1924, p. 148; 
    translated from Christadelphian Monatshefte).

“The removal of the Tetragrammaton (Jehovah)
    from the New Testament and its replacement 
    with the surrogates KYRIOS and THEOS 
    blurred
    the original distinction between the Lord God 
    and the Lord Christ,
     and in many passages 
    made it impossible which one was meant.  
    As time went on…it was often impossible 
    to distinguish between them. Thus it may be 
    that 
    the removal of the Tetragrammaton (Jehovah)
    contributed significantly to the later…Trinity “
    – George Howard,  Bible Scholar ;
    The Name of God in the New Testament, 
    BAR 4.1 (March 1978), pg 15 
    `
    It was they who demanded, in effect, 
    that Christianity be “updated” 
    by blurring
    or even obliterating the long-accepted 
    distinction between the Father and the Son
    .”
    – When Jesus Became God 
    by Richard E. Rubenstein, p.74 

3. MONEY
       Because the God of Christ – The Jewish God, Jehovah,
       was not popular with the world of mankind, they
       sought to remove him from their Bibles.  Bible 
       translators knew that for their Bibles to be purchased
       they would need to appeal to their readers.  They 
       also knew, that if they used God’s Divine Name Jehovah,
       then people would not purchase their Version and thus
       they would lose money.

God’s name Jehovah/Yahowah appears in the original hebrew
    text about 7000 times, but the NIV fails to mention it even once. 
    When asked about this,   Edwin H. Palmer, Th.D., 
    Executive Secretary for the NIV’s committee wrote :

Here is why we did not :  You are right – that Jehovah is 
    a distinctive name for God 
    and ideally we should have
    used it. 
     But we put 2 1/4 million dollars into this
    translation and a sure way of throwing that 
    down the drain is to translate
     for example, 
    Psalm 23 as, ‘Yahweh (Jehovah) is my shepherd.‘ 
     Immediately, we would have translated for nothing. 
    Nobody would have used it (or purchased it). 
    Oh, maybe you and a handful [of] others.  
    But a Christian has to be also wise and practical.   
    We are the victims of 350 years of the King James tradition. 
    It is far better to get two million to read it-
    that is how many have bought it to date-
    and to follow the King James, than to have two thousand
    buy it and have the correct translation of Yahweh(Jehovah)
    . . . It was a hard decision, and many of our translators
    agree with you.” 
    – The Reason NIV removed Jehovah’s Name
          Edwin H. Palmer, Th.D., 
        Executive Secretary for the NIV‘s committee 

“The situation today, where many translations…
    exists largely because of the amount of money 
    to be gained…”
    -(The Preservation of the Bible By Faithful Churches) 
          –By Charles V. Turner

4. MAN MADE “TRADITION
       It was a tradition of the Jews to avoid using God’s
       name altogether.  They stopped all mention of him.
       No longer using God’s Divine Name, they no longer used
       it in their prayers, even making it a sin to say his
       name out loud.  They considered it “blasphemy” to
       utter the name of God, Jehovah.  Many translators
       admit to following this “Jewish Tradition” and have
       thus removed Jehovah’s name and replaced it with Titles
       such as “LORD” and “GOD” – all in capitals – to show
       that they have removed God’s name in those places.
       Jesus condemned the man-made tradition of the Jews.
       Following their lead in this – would be directly against
       Jesus’ Teachings on this issue.

“…Yahweh (Jehovah), is the proper personal name 
    of the God of Israel…the term Adonai,  ‘My Lord’ 
    was later used as a SUBSTITUTE.  The word  LORD
     in the present version represents 
    the TRADITIONAL usage.” 
    – New American Bible (Catholic) 
       Introduction to the O. T., Page XI.

“In this translation
    we have followed 
    the orthodox Jewish TRADITION
    and substituted ‘the Lord’
    for the name ‘Yahweh’ (Jehovah)”
    — Preface – 1935 Bible ;
       J. M. Powis Smith and Edgar J. Goodspeed

“Jesus replied, 
    “And why do you break the command of God 
    for the sake of your tradition? 
    Thus you nullify the word of God 
    for the sake of your tradition. “
    (Matthew 15:3,6)(NIV)-BibleGateway 

5. SUPERSTITION
       During the time when Israel was in slavery to Babylon,
       she absorbed and adopted many Babylonian customs and
       ideas.  One of these was the “Superstition” against using
       the name of a God – for fear that bad things would 
       happen to them.  As the Babylonians called their Chief
       God – Marduk by the title “LORD” so as not to offend 
       him, so too – the Jews adopted this idea in reference
       to Jehovah God.

When the Yisraeli (Israelites) came out of Babylonian
    captivity, they brought along with them
     the Babylonian
    culture, and 
    along with it Babylonian beliefs and 
    superstitions.

One of these pagan Babylonian practices
    or beliefs was called “ineffability.” 
    This was the SUPERSTITION  against using the name
    of a deity for fear of something bad happening to them.
    The idea was that if you said the name of a deity 
    he or she would notice you.
    The pagan practice of 
    ineffability was further reinforced by Greek 
    Hellenization.”
    -(b.Pes. 50a) (b.Kidd. 71a). 

“The avoidance of the original name of God (Yehowah) 
    both in speech and,  to a certain extent, in the Bible…..
    first arose…..in Babylonia.  According to Dalman 
    (l.c. pp. 66 et seq.),”
    -The Jewish Encyclopedia
    TETRAGRAMMATON; by 
    Crawford Howell Toy, and Ludwig Blau 

“The idea that only the priest could utter 
    The NAME of The HEAVENLY FATHER, and that he 
    was to disguise or hide it from the common people,
    came from the idea that the NAME was “ineffable” 
    or “unutterable”. Howeverthis was a pagan doctrine 
    that they adopted from the Egyptians, Babylonians, 
    and the Greeks
    …”
    -THE FINAL REFORMATION; KOSTER P.54, P112

Marduk was, therefore, a very important god of Babylon.
    In the first millennium BCE, his name was considered 
    so holy, that it was almost never pronounced

instead, people said and wrote Bêl, ‘LORD’.

Herodotus correctly calls the supreme god of Babylon
    Bêl (“lord”), because his real name was not pronounced. 
    -[Herodotus, Histories 1.181-2; 
    tr. Aubrey de Sélincourt]

“The ineffability of divine names 
    was on old idea in Egypt…
    the name of Osiris himself was said 
    to be ineffable…the name Marduk of Babylon
    was also declared ineffable
    .The Greeks 
    avoided the names of their deities 
    and preferred to call them by 
    the  titles Kurios and Theos.”
    -The Final Reformation 
    By Dr. Koster; pp. 54 and 112 

“…But at least by the third century B.C.E. 
    the pronunciation of the name YHWH (Jehovah) 
    was avoided, and Adonai, the Lord,” 
    was substituted for it…”

– Encyclopedia Judaica (p. 679).

“The Hebrews considered The Name of God
    to be ‘ineffable’ and substituted in reading 
    Adonai (My Lord).”
    -Columbia Encyclopedia Vol. 2 
      under the subject ‘God’ 

6. “JEHOVAH” IS NOT THE HEBREW WAY TO SAY GOD’S NAME
       Some Bible Translators say that they have removed
       God’s name from the Bible – because Jehovah is not
       the proper way to say God’s name in Hebrew.
       This reasoning is merely an excuse and not a reason
       at all.  For if this reason was valid, then we
       would also have to remove Jesus name from the Bible,
       since the name “Jesus” is not the way that it was
       written or spoken in Hebrew either.  Many Hebrew
       names are written in the Bible – which are not as they
       were in Hebrew and yet we do not remove them.  
       Therefore this reasoning is truly invalid.  Examples
       of Jewish names in the Bible which are translated 
       into English – much differently than their original
       Hebrew couterparts  – are :  Jesus, Jeremiah, Jonah,
       Joel, Jerusalem, Joshua, etc.

“… the Committee… is, omitting the name of God
    (because)
     the word ‘Jehovah’ does not accurately 
    represent any form of the Name ever used in Hebrew…”
    – The Preface of the Revised Standard Version 

Thus, the Hebrew  “ye-ru-sha-LA-yim” 
    became “Jerusalem“; 
    ye-ri-HO”  became  Jericho; 
    and “yar-DEN”  become  “Jordan”. 
    Hebrew personal names such as
    yo-NA”  became  “Jonah”, 
    yi-SHAI”  became  “Jesse” 
    and “ye-SHU-a”  became  “Jesus“.

Likewise “YHWH, Yahweh, or Yehowah” 
    became  “Jehovah” in english.

7. GOD  DOESN’T  NEED  A  NAME

God does not need to be distinguished from other gods.
       Some translators have made this statement.  Who are 
       we to say that God doesn’t need a name ?  God deemed
       it necessary to name all the stars in the heavens, and
       to place his name upon people that he liked, and upon
       places that were important to him.  His own word the
       Bible – emphasizes the importance of a name.  The
       translators of the Bible did not remove Satan’s name
       from the Bible – nor did they remove the names of 
       numerous false gods from the Bible.  

“the use of any proper name 
    for the one and only God… 
    is entirely inappropriate 
    for the universal faith 
    of the Christian Church.”
    -the preface of the Revised Standard Version
     Under reasons (excuses) for the removal of 
     God’s personal name – Jehovah

“He determines the number of the stars
    and calls them each by name.”
    (Psalms 147:4)(NIV)-BibleGateway

“Lift up your eyes on high, 
    and see who hath created these, 
    that bringeth out their host by number; 
    he calleth them all by name
    The everlasting God, Jehovah, 
    the Creator of the ends of the earth…”
    (Isaiah 40:26,28)(ASV)-BibleGateway

“A good name is more desirable than great riches; 
    to be esteemed is better than silver or gold.”
    (Proverbs 22:1)(NIV)-BibleGateway

“A good name is better 
    than oil of much worth…”
    (Ecclesiastes 7:1)(NLV)-BibleGateway 

“…The Sacred Name Yahovah
    was revealed to man by Yahovah Himself 
    and is not a man-given name” 
    -(see II Apol., 10, 13; Trypho, 126, 127).

In the Bible, refusing to mention the name of a god 
    means refusing to worship this god (Ex 23:13) 
    and that is why Satan incited the Israelites, 
    by means of the prophets of Baal, 
    not to use the Name of Jehovah (Jr 23:27).

“Yahweh (Jehovah) is the name 
    that indicates the God of the Hebrews. 
    Where the Philistines worshipped Dagon, 
    the Egyptians, Amon, and the Ammonites, Milcom, 
    the Hebrews worshipped YAHWEH (Jehovah). 
    The title ‘god’ (elohim) is ALSO applied to false deities 
    in the Scriptures as well as Yahweh (Jehovah),
    hence is NOT a term by which one can be 
    distinguished from the others. 
    When the voice said, ‘I am Yahweh (Jehovah),’ 
    there was no doubt in any listener’s mind 
    as to the identity of the speaker. 
    He was the God of the Hebrews. 
    So far as is known, no other peoples 
    called their god by this name.” 
    – Review and Herald, December 16, 1971 

“In the Scriptures there is the closest possible relationship 
    between a person and his name, the two being practically
    equivalent, so that to remove the name
    is to extinguish the person. (Num. 27:4; Deut. 7:24) 
    To forget God’s name is to depart from Him.” 
    Zondervan Pictorial Bible Dictionary, p. 571 (1964) 

JEWISH  BIBLES  FAVOR  THE  NAME “JEHOVAH” 

Non-superstitious Jewish translators always favored 
    the name “Jehovah”
     in their translations of the Bible. 
    On the other hand one can note that there is no 
    Jewish translation of the Bible with “Yahweh”.

NAME OF VERSION
    (JEWISH) TONGUE PUBLISHED
    IN: DIVINE NAME
    RENDERED Immanuel Tremellius Latin 1579 Jehova Baruch Spinoza Latin 1670 Jehova* Samuel Cahen French 1836 Iehovah Alexander Harkavy English 1936 Jehovah** Joseph Magil (see below) English 1910 Jehovah Rabbi L. Golschmidt (see below) German 1921 Yehovah

“non-superstitious Jewish translators 
    always favored the name Jehovah
    in their translations of the Bible. 
    On the other hand one can note that 
    there is NO Jewish translation of the Bible
    with Yahweh.” 
    M. Gérard GERTOUX; a Hebrew scholar, 
      specialist of the Tetragram;
      president of the Association Biblique 
      de Recherche d’Anciens Manuscrits

THE  EARLY  CHRISTIANS
    USED  THE  NAME – “JEHOVAH”

As a follower of Christ
    Peter used Gods name, Jehovah

When Peters speech was put on record
    the Tetragrammaton (YHWH / Jehovah) was here used 
    according to the practice during the first 
    century B.C.E. and the first century C.E.”
    – Paul Kahle; Studia Evangelica, edited by Kurt Aland,
    F. L. Cross, Jean Danielou, Harald Riesenfeld 
    and W. C. van Unnik, Berlin, 1959, p. 614
    (See App 1C §1.) 

The early Christian scholars therefore 
    easily learnt the true pronunciation
    .”
    The 15th edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica,
     volume 12, p. 995, under the heading “Jehovah” 

So basically anti-semetism and traditions of man.

April 6, 2018 5:13 PM MDT

WOW, just WOW! What can I say? Someone did some extensive research. 
    Thank you sooo much for your answer.
      April 6, 2018 7:52 PM MDT