Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » What does this parable mean?

What does this parable mean?

The Parable of the Sower

13 That same day Jesus went out of the house and sat by the lake. Such large crowds gathered around him that he got into a boat and sat in it, while all the people stood on the shore. Then he told them many things in parables, saying: “A farmer went out to sow his seed. As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants. Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop—a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown. Whoever has ears, let them hear.”

10 The disciples came to him and asked, “Why do you speak to the people in parables?”

11 He replied, “Because the knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them. 12 Whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them. 13 This is why I speak to them in parables:

“Though seeing, they do not see;
    though hearing, they do not hear or understand.

14 In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah:

“‘You will be ever hearing but never understanding;
    you will be ever seeing but never perceiving.
15 For this people’s heart has become calloused;
    they hardly hear with their ears,
    and they have closed their eyes.
Otherwise they might see with their eyes,
    hear with their ears,
    understand with their hearts
and turn, and I would heal them.’[a]

16 But blessed are your eyes because they see, and your ears because they hear. 17 For truly I tell you, many prophets and righteous people longed to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it.

18 “Listen then to what the parable of the sower means: 19 When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in their heart. This is the seed sown along the path. 20 The seed falling on rocky ground refers to someone who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. 21 But since they have no root, they last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away. 22 The seed falling among the thorns refers to someone who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke the word, making it unfruitful. 23 But the seed falling on good soil refers to someone who hears the word and understands it. This is the one who produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown.”

Posted - August 18, 2016

Responses

What do you think it means?

August 18, 2016 1:17 PM MDT

What question do you want answered that you asked?

Why did Jesus speak in parables?  For a simple reason.  Parables are stories that people on all levels can relate to but each takes from the story what their mind can digest from the tale.  

There are many who agree the parable means a certain message and someone else will take something else away.

So Jesus spoke in this manner to reach everyone on some Divine level only God knows.   The Wise still use this manner to teach.  The Sages from the East often speak this way

August 18, 2016 1:26 PM MDT

After two sentences I stopped reading so I am not sure what your question is.

August 18, 2016 3:08 PM MDT

1. The seed is the Word of God.
    2. Some seed was eaten by birds and carried off.
    3. Some grew on rocks but had no roots so it didn't grow.
    4. Some grew on thorns, but it got choked; no growth.
    5. Some fell on good soil so it grew and multiplied.
    6. Such is the Word of the Lord.
      August 18, 2016 3:31 PM MDT

It means some people do not/will not listen to God...stoney ground

Some will hear and say the like it but will forget almost immediately....rocky ground

Some will listen and follow but as the first challenge will go back to their old ways....thorny ground

Some will listen and follow remaining faithful.....good ground.

May we all strive to be good ground.

August 18, 2016 3:41 PM MDT

You quoted the explanation in your question.

August 18, 2016 8:50 PM MDT

August 18, 2016 11:31 PM MDT

I would love to hear your thoughts after you read it!

August 18, 2016 11:32 PM MDT

August 18, 2016 11:32 PM MDT

August 18, 2016 11:34 PM MDT

August 18, 2016 11:34 PM MDT

The parable is in verses 1-8. The meaning is in verses 18-23. We don't want to be described in verses 13-15. Although you claim that the KJV is the most accurate, you are still quoting from the NIV. It also might want to include what chapter and book you are quoting from. I didn't have Matthew 13:1-23 memorized so as to recognize it and had to do a word search to find what chapter and book.

http://answermug.com/forum/topics/why-do-king-james-only-people-know-so-little-about-biblical?id=6445461%3ATopic%3A1043792&page=2#comments

Reply by Carazaa on August 4, 2016 at 1:22pm

Yes the King James version is the most accurate to Hebrew verbatum!

August 19, 2016 3:31 AM MDT

August 19, 2016 3:31 AM MDT

Indeed she did.

August 19, 2016 3:32 AM MDT

August 19, 2016 3:32 AM MDT

There are things in life I have no interest in. The spiritual stuff is one of them. That, of course, begs the question: Why the hell did I answer the question? By the way, I have adult ADD and cannot concentrate on what you wrote.

August 19, 2016 7:40 AM MDT

I understand. I would encourage you to ask God for wisdom about the truth and maybe watch videos on you-tube about people who found Jesus. I care about you and I am praying for you.

August 19, 2016 10:01 AM MDT

Could mean doling your dollars to the church and God will reward you with financial security.

Might be just as well or better to buy lottery tickets though.
      August 19, 2016 10:14 AM MDT

God will bless you if you give him your heart and give everything to him.

August 19, 2016 11:32 PM MDT

There goes your prosperity gospel again. Referring to money again as you have so many times on answermug? When Kittigate gives his money to God, which preacher do you recommend he entrust God's money too? Pat Robertson? Benny Hinn? Joel Osteen?  Matthew 10:8 says "You received free, give free".

(Acts 8:18-25) Now when Simon saw that the spirit was given through the laying on of the hands of the apostles, he offered them money, 19 saying: “Give me this authority also, so that anyone on whom I lay my hands may receive holy spirit.” 20 But Peter said to him: “May your silver perish with you, because you thought you could acquire the free gift of God with money. 21 You have neither part nor share in this matter, for your heart is not straight in the sight of God. 22 So repent of this badness of yours, and supplicate Jehovah that, if possible, the wicked intention of your heart may be forgiven you; 23 for I see you are a bitter poison and a slave of unrighteousness.” 24 In answer Simon said to them: “Make supplication for me to Jehovah that none of the things you have said may come upon me.” 25 Therefore, when they had given the witness thoroughly and had spoken the word of Jehovah, they started back toward Jerusalem, and they went declaring the good news to many villages of the Sa·marʹi·tans.

August 20, 2016 2:36 AM MDT

God will bless us in all ways if we trust in Jesus.

August 21, 2016 12:24 AM MDT

Why don't you have faith in Jesus? You constantly preach that Jesus is God Almighty while Jesus says that the Father is the only true God and that coming to know the Father as the only true God has something to do with everlasting lie.

(John 17:1-3) Jesus spoke these things, and raising his eyes to heaven, he said: “Father, the hour has come. Glorify your son so that your son may glorify you, 2 just as you have given him authority over all flesh, so that he may give everlasting life to all those whom you have given to him. 3 This means everlasting life, their coming to know you, the only true God, and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ.
    (John 14:1) “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Exercise faith in God; exercise faith also in me.
    (John 14:28) You heard that I said to you, ‘I am going away and I am coming back to you.’ If you loved me, you would rejoice that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I am.

August 21, 2016 5:21 AM MDT

There is only one God. Jesus and the Father is one.

August 21, 2016 10:57 PM MDT

Man gods, but for Christians, only one God, the Father.

(1 Corinthians 8:5, 6) For even though there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth, just as there are many “gods” and many “lords,” 6 there is actually to us one God, the Father, from whom all things are and we for him; and there is one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things are and we through him.

If the trinity is true, does Jesus, the Father and the Holy Ghost = 1.5?

Christians are supposed to be one as Jesus and His Father are one. The Jews thought Jesus meant that he was God but Jesus corrected them and told them about others that were called gods:

(John 10:30-36) I and the Father are one.” 31 Once again the Jews picked up stones to stone him. 32 Jesus replied to them: “I displayed to you many fine works from the Father. For which of those works are you stoning me?” 33 The Jews answered him: “We are stoning you, not for a fine work, but for blasphemy; for you, although being a man, make yourself a god.” 34 Jesus answered them: “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I said: “You are gods”’? 35 If he called ‘gods’ those against whom the word of God came—and yet the scripture cannot be nullified— 36 do you say to me whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, ‘You blaspheme,’ because I said, ‘I am God’s Son’?

(John 17:11) “I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, watch over them on account of your own name, which you have given me, so that they may be one just as we are one.
    (John 17:21, 22) so that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in union with me and I am in union with you, that they also may be in union with us, so that the world may believe that you sent me. 22 I have given them the glory that you have given me, in order that they may be one just as we are one.

One or united in purpose and thought.

(1 Corinthians 1:10) Now I urge you, brothers, through the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you should all speak in agreement and that there should be no divisions among you, but that you may be completely united in the same mind and in the same line of thought.
    (Philippians 2:2) make my joy full by being of the same mind and having the same love, being completely united, having the one thought in mind.

(2 Corinthians 13:11) Finally, brothers, continue to rejoice, to be readjusted, to be comforted, to think in agreement, to live peaceably; and the God of love and of peace will be with you.

God was with Jesus just as God was with Joseph:

(Acts 7:9) And the family heads became jealous of Joseph and sold him into Egypt. But God was with him,
    (Acts 10:38) about Jesus who was from Nazʹa·reth, how God anointed him with holy spirit and power, and he went through the land doing good and healing all those oppressed by the Devil, because God was with him.

(John 14:1) “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Exercise faith in God; exercise faith also in me.

(John 5:19) Therefore, in response Jesus said to them: “Most truly I say to you, the Son cannot do a single thing of his own initiative, but only what he sees the Father doing. For whatever things that One does, these things the Son does also in like manner.
    (John 5:30) I cannot do a single thing of my own initiative. Just as I hear, I judge, and my judgment is righteous because I seek, not my own will, but the will of him who sent me.

(John 8:28-30) Jesus then said: “After you have lifted up the Son of man, then you will know that I am he and that I do nothing of my own initiative; but just as the Father taught me, I speak these things. 29 And the One who sent me is with me; he did not abandon me to myself, because I always do the things pleasing to him.” 30 As he was saying these things, many put faith in him.

John wrote his verses so that we would know that Jesus is the Son of God, not God himself:

(John 20:31) But these have been written down so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and because of believing, you may have life by means of his name.

August 22, 2016 12:57 AM MDT