Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Politics » WHEN are moderate Muslims going to get together and speak out in condemnation of ISIS??!!

WHEN are moderate Muslims going to get together and speak out in condemnation of ISIS??!!

Oh.... apparently they did, just TWO YEARS AGO:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/24/muslim-scholars-islamic-state_n_5878038.html

The real question is: Why aren't we listening to what Muslims are actually saying, and why are people giving attention to garbage spewed by idiots like Trump and Bachmann?

http://www.msnbc.com/the-ed-show/watch/bachmann-calls-for-war-on-islam-335132739830

Posted - August 23, 2016

Responses

Why should they?  Sometimes the best offense is no defense at all.   There is no such thing as Moderate Muslims.  You either adhere to the faith and earn the title of Muslim or you are not a Muslim no matter how often you try and brand yourself as one.

Just like there are no moderate Christians.  You either are violent or you are not. 

August 23, 2016 1:04 PM MDT

I was taking a swipe at the folks who demand that "good" Muslims would condemn ISIS, while ignoring the fact that many, many Muslims have already done so. I don't expect every single Muslim to "prove" themselves by formally, publicly condemning ISIS and other radical Islamic groups, however I think it's important to recognize the ones who have done so, because apparently there is this widely held belief in America that most Muslims actually uphold the values of terrorists like ISIS.

August 23, 2016 1:13 PM MDT

August 23, 2016 2:00 PM MDT

August 23, 2016 2:30 PM MDT

Deuteronomy 13, Deuteronomy 17, Numbers 31.

BTW, you don't need to spam 10 pages of blockquote to make your point.

To your point that they "don't know their own holy book", I would say that as society progresses, religions evolve, and if the peace-loving people of the world either find a way to reconcile troubling passages in their religious texts with the modern world, or gloss over them, or just abandon them altogether, I'd say that's perfectly fine with me, as long as they believe in their hearts that violence is not the answer.

One last edit: Maybe read the damned links I sent, that actually explain the positions of Muslim scholars, clerics who actually understand the technicalities of the Quran, and have decided that ISIS and other radical Islamic groups in no way represent the larger Muslim population and their beliefs, rather than copy-pasting your kindergarten level assessment of Islam and the Quran.

August 23, 2016 2:33 PM MDT

Wrong question, Some1

August 23, 2016 2:55 PM MDT

These stories are inspired stories from God that shows the world that he gives help to those who love him. Moses was very loving. Many countries hated Gods people The Egyptians took the Israelites for slaves and beat them and killed them. Moses Mom was afraid for Moses when he was a baby, and hid him in the bushes where the daughter of Pharaoh found him and took him home. She raised him as her own. Moses was brought up in Pharaohs household. Moses had allegiance to his own people instead of the wicked Egyptians. When Moses was older he saw an Egyptian man beaten so he killed the man and became the leader of the Jews. God promised to smite Egypt and Syria, and Babylon, and all those who hate God and fight against His people. The Jews were hated by their enemies and treated badly and they enslaved them. The Lord loved the Israelites and promised to help them if they put Him first and loved him. The chapters you quoted was war. But it doesn't end there. God still helps his people. God became flesh and teaches us to love everyone. God will bless the country who's God is the Lord.

August 23, 2016 2:56 PM MDT

OK, so you have found a way to reconcile the passages in the Bible that call for the death of infidels with the passages that call for you to be peaceful and loving, and have settled on the side of peace and love. So why would you not accept that there are Muslims (both laypeople and the clerics) who have done the same? 

August 23, 2016 3:03 PM MDT

It is not the same. God himself spoke to Moses to go to war. God inspired the Bible to teach us because he loves us. God never condones killing outside of war. God is a loving God. But like gravity there are laws in the universe. All sin leads to death. Even one sin will lead to death. We are separated from God because of our own sins. Humanity is in desperate condition. The Bible tells about what happens if we don't repent. God inspired the prophets (Moses and others) in the Bible to make a point to love him. God wants to save people.  God wants us to love him. All people against the Lord will perish. We are to love people. God says "Mine is vengeance"

A note about the Midianites. They worshipped BAAL, not the Lord. God hates countries who worship other Gods, or many Gods. Japan has over 80 shrines in the water to worship many Gods like storm god and water god. Is it a coincident that the tsunami came and there were over 100,000 deaths? Did the storm god help them in trouble?

God will bless those who love Him. "I am a jealous God he says in Exodus 20." Wake up people and be saved.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believes in him shall not perish but have everlasting life." John 3:16

August 23, 2016 3:28 PM MDT

Whatever, you are just making a special pleading case for the Bible since that's the one you believe is true. You haven't addressed my point at all, which is that people, including yourself, can believe in a holy book that apparently calls for violence in God's name, and still believe in peace and love. You allow that for Christians, but not for Muslims, because you happen to believe in a different holy book than they do. But I can see you are too far gone to accept that it's all about what people believe in their hearts, and nothing to do with what the book actually says. HUMANS wrote those books, so naturally they will be full of tangles and contradictions, which can be interpreted any way you like. HUMANS decide which interpretation is best, therefore if Muslims say they have read the Quran, studied it, and decided that they will take the lessons of humility, peace, love, and understanding away with them, then I believe them, just as I would believe a Christian who says the same thing about the Bible. Are you understanding where I am coming from with this, Carazaa?

August 23, 2016 3:38 PM MDT

God of the Bible calls individuals (besides war times) to be peaceful and loving. The Quran encourages individual people to fight and kill in the name of Allah. Big difference!!

Jesus by the way is not Allah's son like the Quran says. But God almighty coming down from heaven to take humanities sins. He calls us to love him and love all people.

August 23, 2016 3:50 PM MDT

Forget it, Carazaa. You're obviously not listening to a word I say. Just get off this thread and delete your posts on your way out. You've clearly got no intention of trying to understand.

August 23, 2016 3:52 PM MDT

If that's what you think, you're not even paying attention.

August 23, 2016 3:53 PM MDT

It's 100% irrelevant then.

August 23, 2016 3:53 PM MDT

• Never. The only difference between radicals and moderates is that moderates don't support violence. Moderates still want an Islamic State instead of secular government. They still want Sharia law. They still want Islam to dominate the world. They just want to achieve it by immigration and high birth rates instead of violence.

The radicals didn't hijack Islam. They are the real Islam. They are following the Koran. It's the liberal Muslims that are trying and failing to make Islam a religion of peace.

At least 10-20% of Muslims are radical. At least 80% don't have western values. Only the most liberal Muslims have something close to our values. Most of them don't have the balls to criticise the radicals, because they would be killed. To a radical, the only thing worse than an infidel is an apostate.

August 23, 2016 5:10 PM MDT

Nice stats, you may want to rinse the poop off them before distributing them so haphazardly:

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Security-Watch/terrorism-security/2015/0113/How-many-Muslim-extremists-are-there-Just-the-facts-please

Saying that the radicals are the 'true' Islam is no different than saying the WBC are the 'true' Christians. If you believe that they are correct in their interpretation, that's fine with me, but most Muslims (and Christians) disagree with you.

Your assessment of the difference between moderates and radicals is incorrect. Moderate Muslims, by and large want to assimilate with the values of the modern world and Western culture, or at least are fine with people wanting to do so. The look on what is happening with ISIS and Islamic extremism with the same horror as non-Muslims. 

August 23, 2016 5:32 PM MDT

Oh shoot, did I? Well there it is. But Trump was almost an afterthought, not really the main target of my question. Still, I appreciate the sentiment, I almost believe he really thinks he can do those things. Almost.
      August 23, 2016 6:06 PM MDT

•   August 23, 2016 6:20 PM MDT

I understand what you are saying. But do you understand God? I love my Muslim friends. Here is a You tube video about a Muslim who was born again.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=muslim+conversion+to+christianity&&view=detail&mid=448D94B5A45FD6C4C84B448D94B5A45FD6C4C84B&rvsmid=448D94B5A45FD6C4C84B448D94B5A45FD6C4C84B&fsscr=0&FORM=VDMCNL

August 23, 2016 7:02 PM MDT

I do love God, and all people whether they are Muslim, or don't like me (like yourself)

August 23, 2016 7:04 PM MDT

Here is what God said in Leviticus (old testament)

Leviticus 19:18
    'You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the sons of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself; I am the LORD.

August 23, 2016 7:07 PM MDT

Is that like a moderate serial killer, lol.

August 23, 2016 8:14 PM MDT

• The Bible has a few questionable verses in the Old Testament though the New Testament is a pretty gentle. The WBC are just unpleasant, not terrorists. Did you read the Koran quotes in Carazaa's answer? It's a militant document. Open your eyes.

Life isn't black and white. It's shades of grey. We can always argue semantics about how to define words like "radical" and "moderate". The number of Muslims who will personally carry out acts of violence themselves is very low, though at least 10-20% are sympathetic to violence. They don't need to be violent to be a threat. As far as I'm concerned anyone who believes in Sharia law is a threat to national security and that's 50% of western Muslims.

The truth is that the stats don't matter to you. You'd make excuses for them whatever the data said. Inclusiveness is just part of your ideology. To you it is better that we welcome subversives into our country than reject some good people. If people like you don't wake up, western civilization is just over.

August 24, 2016 2:02 AM MDT

There is no God but Jesus. He tells us to love our enemies, and pray for those who despitefully use us.

Muslims don't have a savior, so I am worried for them. I believe they think they have the true religion but who died for their sins? Only Jesus, Gods son, came down from heaven for humanity and paid for peoples sins.

I hope Muslims read this and realize that God is so loving. All religions tell you  to work to appease God except Christianity. Jesus did the work. We can't earn heaven. "We have all sinned and come short of God's glory"

"I am the way, the truth, the life. No one comes to the Father but through me" Jesus says.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believe in Him shall not die, but have everlasting life" John 3:16

I erased the verses from Quran, and tried to limit my commas...

August 24, 2016 2:27 AM MDT